Germany Bans EU CoD: Black Ops for PC

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Germany Bans EU CoD: Black Ops for PC

German PC gamers looking to import the non-censored Call of Duty: Black Ops from elsewhere in the EU may be out of luck.

Earlier this month, we learned that Call of Duty: Black Ops would be censored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104008-Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Censored-in-Germany] for its German release. I suggested that German gamers who really wanted to play the game as intended could simply import from one of the other countries in the EU.

Unfortunately, it seems like German gamers looking to pick up the uncensored PC version of the title are out of luck. According to PC Games.de [http://www.pcgames.de/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-PC-231570/News/Call-of-Duty-Black-Ops-Steam-Aktivierung-funktioniert-nur-mit-deutscher-Version-796131/], Steam will refuse to recognize and authenticate the installation of any version of Call of Duty: Black Ops except the localized (and censored) German one.

Given that a Steam authorization is required for every install of the game - even physical, boxed copies - this effectively means that German PC gamers must either settle for a censored experience, or work around the Steam requirement via less-legal methods.

German gamers looking to buy Black Ops on Xbox 360 or PS3, meanwhile, will likely face no such restrictions on importing the title. Sure, the game might not be in German, but that's the EU where everyone speaks like five languages, right? You'll be just fine.

Content removed from the German Black Ops includes: scenes of gratuitous violence and torture in the campaign, the ability for explosions to blow characters' limbs off, and - for whatever reason - the Rolling Stones' "Sympathy for the Devil" from the soundtrack.

(Via MCV UK [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41542/EU-versions-of-Black-Ops-banned-in-Germany])

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
I feel for you guys. Australia and Germany: The two villainous countries of the games industry. Mind you it seems the United States is doing the best it can to get on that list too.

MR T3D

Feb 21, 2009
It's not like you won't be able to play mods with gore, though.
some crafty germans will work around this.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Que pile of people blaming Valve for this decision, and pointing out that the title should read "Steam Bans Uncensored CoD:Blops Copies In Germany"

Labyrinth

Escapist Points: 9001
Oct 14, 2007
Those Stones, perverting our youth! They should be banned everywhere, they've brought nothing but decay to the morality of nations!

Sky Captanio

May 11, 2009
Well It's got less gore. It's still the same game though! Why does it matter if there's dismemberment or not? It's still the same game!

Broken Orange

God Among Men
Apr 14, 2009
God dang, these Germans are really being Nazis with their video game laws.

see what I did there? It is funny because saying someone is a Nazi means they are strict and that Germany in the early 20th centrury was ruled by the Nazi party. That, my students, is a pun.

Whoracle

Jan 7, 2008
As a german, let me just say: Don't buy it, don't pirate it. Ignore the shit out of this game, and let the Lobbyists do the rest once the german game market breaks away.

Edit: And don't forget: Vote the idiots that try to destroy the country right now out of office. There's too much going on right now, here and elsewhere, to remain passive.

Mromson

Jun 24, 2007
I'm sorry, but are you EFFIN' kidding me??? I think we should invade Germany again and beat the stupid out of them. Seriously.

Also, Valve, what the hell is wrong with you???

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
I'm liking the lack of sense-making in the world these days. The people in charge are doing a damn good job making piracy look like a great option.
Honestly, if I can pay $80 for legal versions of the pirated games, I would.

Mromson said:
I'm sorry, but are you EFFIN' kidding me??? I think we should invade Germany again and beat the stupid out of them. Seriously.
Don't think that we (as in, the rest of the civilized nations) have any grounds to criticize Germany. I'm pretty sure that most countries have done stupider things than this in 2010.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Labyrinth said:
Those Stones, perverting our youth! They should be banned everywhere, they've brought nothing but decay to the morality of nations!
I'm going to assume that you're being incredibly sarcastic with this.

Sympathy for the Devil, of all things?

FINE! We hereby rename the song "Sympathy for the Devin"! We can get it back

For those of you NOT stalking my profile, my name is Devin >.> bad joke, but worth it

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
arc1991 said:
Nazz3 said:
Sucks for Germans.

The game sucks too though.
Prove it... right now... go on.

OT: Feel sorry for you Germans =\
It's published by Activision, ergo it sucks. Especially if you don't want to give Bobby Kotick any money.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
Bad Joke*Come on Germany! You used to be co...uhmm...right...

That would've been offensive.. I'm sorry for those german gamers. You'll have to get...a version from another country...

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
Ouch...

Used to be I'd mock you lot (being Austrian and all), and tell you to dip down to your more sophisticated brothers and sisters and pick up a copy there... but.... ouch. Really. Ouch.

Now don't go blaming Valve though. I'm quite sure they had little say in that matter: Admit to it, or not get the deal. And with a game that big you can hardly blame them for looking after their own.

Still.

Damn.

*sighs, shrugs and walks off*