Resident Evil Creator Joins the Bethesda Family

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Resident Evil Creator Joins the Bethesda Family

Zenimax Media [http://www.amazon.com/Resident-Evil-Directors-Cut-Playstation/dp/B00000I1BY/ref=sr_1_10?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1288283768&sr=1-10].

You may not have heard of Zenimax Media but you surely know of its work. For years, its public face was Arkane Studios [http://www.bethsoft.com], and now Mikami is standing under its umbrella as well.

Mikami brings an impressive record to the table, serving in "key roles" on franchises including Resident Evil, commit ritual suicide [http://www.amazon.com/Devil-May-Cry-Playstation-2/dp/B00005NCCR/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1288284044&sr=1-3].

Both Mikami and Altman made the usual press release noise about how excited they are for the future and how much they're looking forward to working with each other, but what's really interesting is Zenimax's apparent bid to move up to the heavyweight class. For a decade, Zenimax stood pat with little more than Bethsoft and the slow-roasting Elder Scrolls series, but in little more than a year it's picked up id and Arkane, wrestled RagePrey [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96886-ZeniMax-Acquires-Rage-from-Electronic-Arts] and now has one of Japan's premier game makers.

That's a pretty impressive run. The obvious question is, is it over yet, or will we see more big names joining the family in the future?

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
I like Zenimax, I'm glad to see that some real big names are joining them.

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
SODAssault said:
I think Zenimax Media might be gearing up to be the Microsoft of gaming.
Or the EA....or Activision...

Hopefully not, as I always got this nerdy, slightly less than mainstream feel from Bethesda, though, even that seems to be changing.

carpathic

Oct 5, 2009
This does raise a good question of what Zenimax foresees it future as being.

I mean, to an extent with the risk involved in making games, one needs to be either huge enough to take the occasional loss, or so small that costs are kept low.

It appears as though Zenimax will be taking the growth strategy.

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
GothmogII said:
SODAssault said:
I think Zenimax Media might be gearing up to be the Microsoft of gaming.
Or the EA....or Activision...

Hopefully not, as I always got this nerdy, slightly less than mainstream feel from Bethesda, though, even that seems to be changing.
Hey, whatever keeps my character from ice skating across a temperate forest.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Hey. The guy just made Vanquish.

And now he's with Zenimax?

HOLY SHIT. Prepare for awesome announcements in the future.

I'd love to see him make Prey 2.

CheckD3

Dec 9, 2009
Hopefully we get a company that doesn't follow suit with the evils of EA's project 10 bucks and Activision's CEO and his retardation

I need to get my hands on Vanquish, just once I've finished FONV for about 3 play throughs, beaten Dead Rising and gotten some acheivements on that, and then beaten Spiderman SD

There are too many games out nowadays, and I'm sure this will give us some amazing games in the future...future of gaming is looking bright :D

wildcard9

Aug 31, 2008
Fallout X Resident Evil
Doom X Devil May Cry
Elder Scrolls X Bayonetta (drool...)

The possibilities are endless!

DigitalSushi

a gallardo? fine, I'll take it.
Dec 24, 2008
Gamers seem to be praising these Zenimax guys, but do we really know of there motives?, I remember back in 2001 people praising Activision for sticking it to EA with solid games instead of franchises.

What are the long terms goals of the company?, they seem content right now with gobbling up proven game studios and directors, I imagine that the next fallout will be powered by Id's Id Tech 5 as opposed to Gamebryo but is that actually going to happen?.

Remember Zenimax will want a return on their investments, but how it plays out I don't know, I'm currently cautiously optimistic.

2up

Jun 15, 2009
Vanquish was an absolute blast to play. I don't manage to finish most games these days but for me, Vanquish fit the bill nicely. Now he has access to a larger budget (hopefully). Exciting news for me.

Manicotti

Apr 10, 2009
Great, now I won't be able to tell whether it's a legitimate bug or just a thematic element.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
Great, so when I can't get past a boss in DMC6 because the stupid spider gots stuck on an unreachable wall...

poiuppx

Nov 17, 2009
wildcard9 said:
Elder Scrolls X Bayonetta
...I would buy one thousand copies. ONE. THOUSAND. O_O

In all seriousness, that's awesome. I love the dude's work, and having him onboard with one of my favorite companies in the industry can only lead to awesome things in the future.

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
scotth266 said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I'd love to see him make Prey 2.
Glad to see that someone else played Prey. Game deserves a sequel...
Well shoot, If Steam would get more lisencing numbers for it, I'd buy the hell out of it.

:mad: