The Hammer Falls on Realtime Worlds

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
The Hammer Falls on Realtime Worlds

In a bizarre twist on one of videogaming's most time-honored traditions, it's time to check the still-warm body of former APB studio Realtime Worlds [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realtime_Worlds] to see if it was carrying any good stuff we might want.

Simple question: What's the first thing you do after you've swept your enemies from the field of battle? You check 'em for loot: Guns, ammo, armor, food or whatever it else they had that's better than the worn-out garbage you've been lugging around. An Alienware hi-spec gaming PC with 22-inch flat panel monitor and keyboard, for instance.

You're not going to find something like that on your average cut-down Darkspawn but you might come up with one at the online auction of all the stuff that used to belong to Realtime Worlds. Realtime, as you may recall, ran into trouble soon after the disastrous launch of legal fuss [http://www.amazon.com/All-Points-Bulletin-Pc/dp/B002BS480M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288291118&sr=8-1] with many former employees over missed paychecks.

Over 1000 lots are expected to be put up for auction and bidding is already underway, although not all lots have yet been posted. There doesn't seem to be as much memorabilia as I was hoping for, however. There are some great deals on computer hardware, networking equipment and random bits and pieces like a toaster and a washing machine, but a quick scan through the posted lots reveals almost nothing in the way of collectible Realtime swag. Which I realize sounds kind of ghoulish; it's like complaining that the corpse you're rifling through isn't wearing any nice jewelry.

But hey, that's how gamers roll. One other thing to bear in mind: If you buy anything, you have to go pick it up. In Scotland. I suspect that's a little out of the way for most of you, but if you're planning on being in the neighborhood in mid-November anyway, why not take the opportunity to score some cheap stuff? [http://www.sweeney-kincaid.com/Sales/SaleDescription.aspx?SaleId=1581]

via: Twitter [http://twitter.com/MrJonty/status/28975299311]

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
I would love to have one of their hi spec pcs for programming =D

But I would give them three of 'em if that could bring back APB.

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Hey, I'm in Leeds, which is Northern England. I could hop on a train to Scotland this Sunday if I wanted :). Heh, I doubt I'll be buying anything from Realtime though, not if there's no cool collectible swag to get :p

GothmogII

Possessor Of Hats
Apr 6, 2008
I may take advantage of this, I'm in Ireland, but it's not such a stretch to get over to pick up some cheap computer goods.

Holy crap: They've got Alienware high end gaming PCs starting at £125 pounds! Minus the hardrives of course, but you won't get a deal like that anywhere...

Lot of monitors too actually :3

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
I'll always remember the original Crackdown fondly.

Maybe they have Crackdown stuff in the offices?

Fiend Dragon

Apr 7, 2010
Experimental said:
I would love to have one of their hi spec pcs for programming =D

But I would give them three of 'em if that could bring back APB.
Same here, although keep in mind it IS still possible for APB to make a return under a different developer. They mentioned finding a buyer for the game:

"=== 22/10/2010 === (http://apb-eu.dnsalias.org/PatchNotes/)
It's looking like there might be light at the end of the tunnel for APB. The end of the administration process is apparently close and there appears to be a buyer for the game. "

Which still might mean that we will see it rise again.

Andy Chalk

Nov 12, 2002
Tenmar said:
EDIT: Hey Andy, does this auction also applies to those in the United States? I'm not finding any details about shipping or if there are any boundries.
From the last paragraph said:
If you buy anything, you have to go pick it up. In Scotland.
;)

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Well now that I live in Manchester, it's a lot closer than I've ever been to Realtime studio's for the 19 years of my life spent down South...

hmmmmm.... I wish I had some money now =\

Ruairi iliffe

Sep 13, 2010
Jack-fecking pot!

Thank god for being in the UK, papa needs some new Rigs..

aways wanted 4 22" screens at once....

Myke_storm

Sep 2, 2009
I live in St Andrews which is about 10 minutes from dundee,so cheap stuff ahoy maybe

but tbh,seeing local jobs going is still very depressing

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, they gotta get back some of that cool £100 million they spent making APB, even if this ain't going to get much of it back.

Got my eye on some of those Alienwares, off the peg they're a rip off, but for a couple of hundred quid? I think so...