Killers Confess in World of Warcraft

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Killers Confess in World of Warcraft

Two "avid gamers" who raped and murdered a girl in British Columbia eventually confessed to the crime in World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/World-Warcraft-Cataclysm-Pc/dp/B002I0HKIU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288367468&sr=8-1] because they thought it would be safer than admitting to it on MSN.

The rape and murder of 18-year-old Kimberly Proctor of Victoria, British Columbia, was horrific, shocking and utterly inexplicable. What could drive two teenagers to carry out such a brutal and senseless act? Almost as difficult to fathom is their belief that they couldn't talk about the crime over "MSN chat lines" but that bragging about it on World of Warcraft would be just fine.

It was through the game that one of the killers, a 16-year-old who under Canadian law cannot be named, confessed to the crime to a female friend about a week later, describing the murder in detail and sending her links to news articles about the killing. According to the MSN [http://www.vancouversun.com/news/teenage+boys+used+texting+online+chats+plot+brutal+assault+murder/3735225/story.html] chat lines." His 18-year-old accomplice also sent messages about the murder to the same girl, saying he felt bad that he was going to get caught but that he had no remorse for his victim's family or friends.

Inevitably, at least one news outlet decided to trot out the tired old "videogames made them do it" bugaboo. "Teens moved from online violence to real-life murder," the CTV British Columbia [http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20101028/bc_proctor_thursday_101028/20101028/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome] headline blares, while the opening paragraph of the story breathlessly claims that "experts say it's likely the line between fantasy and reality became blurred." The first photo attached to the story on the CTV website is not of the victim or the crime scene, but of - you guessed it - World of Warcraft.

"They were also fans of World of Warcraft, a sometimes violent online fantasy game with 12 million subscribers around the world," the report says. "Experts believe it perpetuated the violence against the 18-year-old girl and provided key information to police."

For the record, the murder had nothing to do with World of Warcraft itself or any other online interaction. The closest thing to a justification for the murder was that Proctor had flirted with but ultimately rejected the advances of both boys, although the 16-year-old said in a statement that the real reason for the murder was simply that the victim was "an easy target," and that he had "dreamed about killing someone ever since he was young." Aside from the fact that both boys enjoyed World of Warcraft, which is probably one of the most normal things about them, there's absolutely no gaming connection at all, yet it still somehow rises to the surface as a causative factor.

Both boys pleaded guilty to the crime on Wednesday and have been ordered to undergo psychiatric assessments. The Crown is seeking to have them sentenced as adults, which would land them a mandatory life sentence with no possibility of parole for ten years.

Thanks to WrongSprite [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/WrongSprite] for the tip.

slacker09

Aug 2, 2010
Wow thats really messed up. My condolences to the family for such a tragic loss. It's unfortunate that some are blaming WOW when clearly these kids had issues unrelated to such a relatively mild videogame.

brunt32

Aug 24, 2008
Stuff like this shit makes me mad blaming it on WOW!
Are they joking or just stupid... Yes I play a game what allows me to fight (Bad guys E.g. Lich King and Deathwing two people who want to take control of the world) so does that mean I feel like raping and murdering a Innocent girl? No it doesn't and it's stupid to think otherwise.

Keava

Mar 1, 2010
That's stupidity multiplied by stupidity... Not only the two snots raped and murdered the girl, but they felt like bragging about it, over the internet, on a game that made it clear some time ago that all communication within it are logged for safety purposes. I hope they rot rot in prison and drop the soap a lot.

As for the whole 'vidiogaems did it!!1' trend, well... i seriously don't have strength any more to comment on such idiotic statements. Im pretty sure those two jerks also ate bread and pooped, maybe pooping turns people into murderers too?

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
He's even admitted that he's always dreamed of killing someone since he was young, and felt no remorse for his victims, text book sociopathic behaviour. Yet some idiotic sensationalizing news station is trying to claim WoW of all things caused this?

Facepalm indeed.

Dana22

Sep 10, 2008
11,999,999 of WoW players have not murdered anyone (most likely). Using this scientific method I can safely assume, that World of Warcraft prevents violent crimes.

crimsonshrouds

Mar 23, 2009
*sigh* i don't even feel the need to comment on this... it depresses me to much to see this idiocy going on.

TerribleAssassin

Apr 11, 2010
So, this person admits of having a fantasy to murder someone whilst they were young, but the prees skip this and attack WoW, a game about elves and dwarfs and the sword that got mentioned on South Park?

I think people need to drop this trend, soon, because I'll murder someone, and they'll blame DJ Hero for it...

Rakkana

Nov 17, 2009
FFS! Why is the world getting stupider as the days go past. This is the information age FFS!

BAH!

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
This is why I hate most news outlets. They're not out to actually deliver the factual story to people they're out to see how outrageous and false they can make a story before the public no longer reacts to it.

I hope blizzard sues that news paper for slander or something. One lawsuit with blizzard would send a message to the news outlets to stop crucifying games at every turn after Metzen and Morahaine walk away with everything they own plus any future off-spring.

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Fuck off. Seriously? Did they stealth and backstab her? Of course they didn't. They were just twisted little fucks, who hopefully, will be treated as brutally in prison as they treated this girl. Condolences to the family, but for fuck sakes media, go find another target.

Padwolf

Sep 2, 2010
This is why I hate the media and can never trust the news...their idiocy just gets to me, especially when they blame video games

OANST

Aug 10, 2009
For the record, writing an article about the rape and murder of a young girl, and then spending half of it crying about how one news outlet tried to lay the blame on video games is just as disrespectful, and downright stupid as the news outlet in question. Have some fucking class.

Cain_Zeros

Nov 13, 2009
God dammit CTV... I thought we were better than this.

But it's people like these two that sometimes make me wish we had a death penalty. Oh well, there's always the possibility (however slim) of them getting shived in prison. I mean really, Canada's pretty damn light with their sentencing, and the last thing we need is a couple people who killed someone because "she was an easy target" and "I've always dreamed about killing someone" back on the streets in 20 years.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
It's terrible that such a tragedy could occur at any time, but you can bet your ass we're gonna see more of this "someone died horribly blame video games" shit as the November arguments before the Supreme Court approach. People are gonnna capitalize on society's fear of gaming to score points in the case, and they'll use victims like this poor girl to further their goals.

OANST said:
For the record, writing an article about the rape and murder of a young girl, and then spending half of it crying about how one news outlet tried to lay the blame on video games is just as disrespectful, and downright stupid as the news outlet in question. Have some fucking class.
Dude, it's a GAMING community. Not the New York Times. I thought the story was appropriately respectful. If you're relying on The Escapist for your news, other than gaming news that is, you'll never be satisfied.