Player-Made Missions Coming to Star Trek Online's Final Frontier

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Player-Made Missions Coming to Star Trek Online's Final Frontier

If you've itching to put Star Trek Captains through your own missions, good news: Cryptic Studios has revealed it's planning to let you do just that.

While RPGs these days often feature custom level/quest creation tools, such a feature isn't exactly common in MMOs. Cryptic Studios has announced that it's going to allow players to create their own missions in <a href=http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Online-Collectors-Pc/dp/B002V1PTO8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288378875&sr=8-1>Star Trek Online from scratch, something the developer has done before with City of Heroes.

The developer has revealed that players can sign up to be a part of the beta test for the "Foundry" toolset, which will allow them to do just about everything the developers can; they'll be able to create mission objectives, characters, environments, all of which can be combined to create original Episodes in the game. Other players will then be able to play through this original content.

Personally, I think this sounds pretty cool, since it seems like the next evolution of fan fiction for many Star Trek fans. I personally look forward to hearing about an Episode where Captains Kirk, Picard, Janeway, and Sisko wind up stuck in a time pocket (I'm sure Q will be involved, somehow) and it's up to you to save them all.

Source: Joystiq

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
Whenever someone opens up the field to make missions, I sometimes think it's because they ran out of ideas.

kerkanka

Jul 16, 2010
mattttherman3 said:
Whenever someone opens up the field to make missions, I sometimes think it's because they ran out of ideas.
This is just an extention of the system they've created for neverwinter; as it's in the engine they just decided to open it up for STO players too.

I can't wait to try this out, closed beta has started already but when it opens up further i'll definately be playing with the tools: they should be fairly robust as it is essentially the same tools the developers have been using but with restrictions to stop getting into trouble with the owners of the IP (CBS). They've also been paying attention to making sure only good content gets put onto the live server and the reviewing process; it'll be interesting to see how well they manage it.

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
Well, it makes sense I guess.

The trouble with Star Trek as a theme for an MMO is essentially that the whole premise is summed up in "Explore strange new worlds."

That's difficult to do if all the content is predictable and everyone's seen it.

They've been trying to get some sense of this from the randomly generated exploration missions, but that will only get you so far.

User generated content can only be a good thing in a setting where the unknown is supposed to be a routine occurrence.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I'm not shocked at all .... They've started to realize they make such bland garbage they might as well let everyone else have a go at it. As they will most likely do a better job. Nice try Cryptic but it still doesn't change the fact that you SUCK!

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Well after actually playing the game starting 3 days after launch, I would say.. ANYTHING would help.

There could have been something good there, but the game is just sorely lacking. But I do forsee alot of what was mentioned earlier of people just setting up missions with the purpose of easing their way through the game

kerkanka

Jul 16, 2010
viranimus said:
But I do forsee alot of what was mentioned earlier of people just setting up missions with the purpose of easing their way through the game
Missions will have to pass a community review comittee before they're allowed to give out rewards/loot in order to determine if they're actual missions or just point/loot farms. Also, you will have to make a copy of your character to playtest it so you can't cheat the system by just creating a mission for you to grind yourself. That's the current idea anyway although it's being hotly debated by the community so it may not last.

Ralen-Sharr

Feb 12, 2010
Pirate Kitty said:
Cool idea for a bland game.

I literally forgot it existed.
everyone I talk to that HAS played it really doesn't talk about it. I game with a guy who got a lifetime sub, and I can't help but wonder if a lifetime sub isn't for suckers.

If the game can hold the players interest long enough to justify a lifetime sub, why would they want to offer one when they can keep charging a monthy/quarterly/annual fee? How many millions would WoW have lost if they offered a lifetime sub in their early months?

Has any MMO that offered lifetime subs ended up with the customer getting the better end of the deal? I'd really like to know, since AFAIK the offer of a lifetime sub means the game is bad and not worth playing in the long run.

Paularius

May 25, 2010
The game really wasnt that good and i managed ot finish it in about 2 weeks of playing - there really is no content for it. The only reason its still around is becouse die hard startrek fans dont want to accept that the startrek mmo is crap. Its a big shame to as I would love a proper startrek mmo not this terrible substitute.

Having players make the content for them is just pure lazy. Its terrible to say but onyl a few players can actually make decent content for the games. As was said above with the CoX people dont put the effort into decent content just quick grindie ones.

Craptic - Sorry i mean 'Cryptic' need to leave mmo's alone. I shudder at the thought of what there doing to neverwinters online. They dont make mmo's they just make small sub based co-op games which you can finish solo your self. They get the money from the game at launch and add nothing to them. Resubbed into Champions Online over the summer and there was only one new area that takes 2 hours to do. Thats all they had added in a year.

Im just hoping no other gaming company is going to take idea off of craptic. Woops.. I mean 'Cryptic'.