Dance Central Recalled, MTV Promises Availability for Kinect Launch

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Dance Central Recalled, MTV Promises Availability for Kinect Launch

One of the most-hyped Kinect launch titles is being pulled from warehouses today.

According to an inside source, Microsoft recalled copies of Dance Central today because of a "misprint in the manual" but MTV Games promised that the title will be available in stores for the Kinect launch on November 4th. A brand new SKU/UPC will be issued for the new retail version. Botching the launch will certainly be seen as a black eye for the MTV Games, Harmonix and especially Microsoft so I'm sure that they will do all they can to get the game in stores on time.

I have to wonder what was so wrong in the manual that this drastic measure needed to be taken. We'll probably never find out, but that doesn't mean we can't speculate. Was there a curse or swear printed by mistake? Was a song or track added that MTV didn't have all the permissions and licenses for? Maybe they were betting on getting a contract signed but it fell through? Or did an artist get cold feet and ask that their track be pulled? Was there a naked picture of Bill Gates slipped into the manual?

Feel free to come up with your own crazy ideas and fill in the blank. It's like videogame industry Mad Libs [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mad_Libs]!

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/10/29/dance-central-pre-release-copies-recalled-should-still-make-lau/]

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Who knows? Maybe it was something as simple as a typo that completely changed a word into something wholly unacceptable in public print.

It's not that hard to do. Just drop a letter out of "count" and...you get my drift, I'm sure.

icame

Aug 4, 2010
I'd like to think that some 6 year old opened up the manual before playing the game and they see some word misspelled into a swear word or 'inappropriate' as my parents used to say.

Yeah I got a sick sense of humor, but I don't care :)

imnot

Apr 23, 2010
Xzi said:
The manual designer probably drew penises all over it.
Dam ninja!
Also kinect just keeps getting better and better does'nt it?

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
RollForInitiative said:
Who knows? Maybe it was something as simple as a typo that completely changed a word into something wholly unacceptable in public print.

It's not that hard to do. Just drop a letter out of "count" and...you get my drift, I'm sure.
I was gonna say that they mis-typed 'funk', but I think yours is better

Jack and Calumon

Digimon are cool.
Dec 29, 2008
Onyx Oblivion said:
The manual may have been missing something copyright related.
Most likely, but that doesn't stop me from making my own crazy theories.

An employee printed off the Call of Cthulu story. This got mixed up with the printing of the manual and the entire manual was filled with lovecraft rather than instructions.

Calumon: Someone spilt Jam on the copy machine and there was jam on all the pages! ^^

bjj hero

Feb 4, 2009
Maybe they were worried about law suits as the manual and box claims Dance Central is a game...

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
bjj hero said:
Maybe they were worried about law suits as the manual and box claims Dance Central is a game...
LOL U SO FUNNEH

- - - -

Well, this might actually be more petty than delaying Littlebig Planet because of lyrics in a song that was already out there.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
They accidentally called it a dancing game, and now they have to recall it and label it properly as a "I don't know what the fuck are those idiots doing but I do know it's not dancing" game.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Actually, the stop was announced due to the impending arrival of Hammer Time.

Dance Central? You currently cannot touch this.

dicai

Jun 4, 2009
Maybe because the portrayal of stereotypes of people dancing... but everybody knows black people dance much better than white, don't they?

Also, the last page had a communism symbol.

I guess.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Jack and Calumon said:
An employee printed off the Call of Cthulu story. This got mixed up with the printing of the manual and the entire manual was filled with lovecraft rather than instructions.
Screw that, they may have slipped in the texts for raising Cthulhu himself!

I'm still skeptical it was a typo, but might as well run with it, eh?