Day of the Dead Sale Offers Creepo, Cheapo Halloween Gaming

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Day of the Dead Sale Offers Creepo, Cheapo Halloween Gaming

Tale of Tales [http://tale-of-tales.com/] is holding a "pay what you want" sale for its Day of the Dead bundle, a three-game set featuring The Graveyard, The Path and Fatale.

Halloween is coming, and what better way to celebrate than with some creepy, offbeat gaming? The Day of the Dead bundle collects three Tale of Tales games together into one, but these aren't your everyday blockbuster releases: The Graveyard is closer to interactive art than an actual game, while Fatale puts players in the role of John the Baptist on his final night. But our own Susan Arendt described The Path, Tale of Tales' most successful game, as "haunting, lovely, and genuinely unnerving [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/5928-Review-The-Path]," noting that it is "well worth the $10 asking price." And now you can snag all three for as little as three bucks.

"On the eve of All Saints' Day and All Souls' Day, humans try their best to forget their fear of death. But why? Death is a fascinating phenomenon that we have explored in the three videogames offered in the Day of the Dead bundle," said Michael Samyn of Tale of Tales. "We hope our games allow players a moment of silent contemplation, away from the cheap scares and the rubber monsters. We all know people who have died. We will all die ourselves. This is the time of year to remember that. As the days get shorter, and nature around us withers, let's be quiet for a little while, and connect to the darkness and the cold. Maybe we will find it's not so frightening after all."

Until November 2, gamers can pay whatever they want for the Day of the Dead bundle, with a minimum $3 charge to cover transaction fees. All proceeds from the sale will go toward the ongoing development of Tale of Tales' latest project, The Book of 8. TO learn more, check out taleoftales.com/dod [http://tale-of-tales.com/DoD/].

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I've already played the Graveyard demo on Steam and it's quite a pretty game, and I've heard good things about The Path, but I've never heard about Fatale before.

The name of the bundle, Day of the Dead, is a nice little touch referencing the mexican celebration of all things Death, and in my opinion, much, much better than Halloween. Only for that and because they're all good games, I'll buy it.

Rauten

Capitalism ho!
Apr 4, 2010
I don't know about Graveyard or Fatale, but The Path...
Oh dear, The Path... I can't uninstall it. I simply can't. But I can't play it either, because of how it toys with my mind.

Mechsoap said:
dident know the path was a horror.
Not quite horror, it's more like a constant psychological nagging that you're going to die. Sooner or later. Take your time. It doesn't matter. The wolf waits patiently... and yet, I cannot classify it as horror. It's... strange.

Waif

MM - It tastes like Candy Corn.
Mar 20, 2010
Rauten said:
I don't know about Graveyard or Fatale, but The Path...
Oh dear, The Path... I can't uninstall it. I simply can't. But I can't play it either, because of how it toys with my mind.

Mechsoap said:
dident know the path was a horror.
Not quite horror, it's more like a constant psychological nagging that you're going to die. Sooner or later. Take your time. It doesn't matter. The wolf waits patiently... and yet, I cannot classify it as horror. It's... strange.
I kinda considered The Path to be more of a psychological artsy game, having a large portion of the symbolism dedicated to a "certain facet" of a girls life. All the girls stories have this in common, and for this reason I felt that The Path is an exploration into an aspect of reality that is both upsetting and depressing, at least for me. I would not be quick to call it a horror though, there are certain creepy things that go on with it, but I think that it's more for immersion than anything else.

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Bought and downloading
I paid the suggested price of 12 US because I like supporting the indie scene

RabbiiFrystofsk

Oct 10, 2010
Paid a tad more to equal it to about £10 but i was intrigued by the Path when i read about it a while back so im sure it's worth it.