5th Cell Leaves Cuteness Behind for Gritty Source Engine Shooter

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
5th Cell Leaves Cuteness Behind for Gritty Source Engine Shooter

5th Cell is known for cute DS games, but that might change with the recently announced XBLA shooter Hybrid.

Last week's Lock's Quest [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104621-Scribblenauts-Studio-Teasing-Something-Dirty-for-XBLA].

5th Cell has released a brief teaser trailer for Hybrid, which doesn't show much, but it's enough for us to know that Hybrid is a shooter. A third-person shooter, actually, set in a post-apocalyptic world. The trailer's narrator is hiding behind cover Gears of War [http://www.amazon.com/Gears-War-2-Disc-Xbox-360/dp/B001A4MTGS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288391383&sr=8-1] style, until an enemy comes literally flying in out of nowhere and the two start firing automatic weaponry at each other.

Dig a little deeper into Hybrid's new website [http://www.whatishybrid.com/], and you'll find that the narrator is a member of the game's Paladins. The Paladins are at war with another group called the Variants, led by someone called the Grand Marshal. The trailer and website hint that you'll be able to choose to follow one of the two, but any gameplay details are still unconfirmed. Humans are mentioned as bystanders in the war between the Paladins and Variants, so there is some mystery as to how this war began, why it continues to rage, and who is actually behind the soldiers' armor.

It's an interesting basic concept, so hopefully some gameplay and details should be revealed soon. With Hybrid, it looks like 5th Cell is going from Scribblenauts to a very different title similar to Gears of War with Mass Effect [http://www.amazon.com/Mass-Effect-2-Xbox-360/dp/B001TORSII/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1288392075&sr=1-3]'s choices, which is quite the step. Hybrid will be out in 2011.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
that is some silly narration, Ill bet someone thought it would sound awesome, they were WRONG

Aurora219

Aug 31, 2008
This doesn't tell me anything. I'll have to keep tabs on this, see how it comes out.

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
The Random One said:
Oh cool another first person shooter. So cool. I wonder if you can duck behind cover in it oh wow!
There's a certain irony to this post, it makes me laugh.

Anyway, I can't take this game seriously. If you're gonna try and make your trailer all (melo)dramatic like that, at least pick a better name than "variants". Come on people, say that to yourselves a few times. Notice how it reminds you of math, instead of anything resembling foreboding, ominous, or threatening? Why does it seem like the people who name Sci-Fi organizations are always incredibly stupid?

omicron1

Mar 26, 2008
So, Christian meta-references (Joshua, to be specific), very silly looking helmets/glowey armor, cliche-sounding plot, sorta grey-brown nondescript cityscape... meh.

...5th cell, you'd better have something exceptionally unique up your sleeve for this one.

@Ironic Pirate: Maybe they're mutants who named themselves? I mean, what group assured of the veracity of their cause would deliberately pick an evil-sounding name?

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I hate to say this, I really do, but for an XBLA game, it looks damn good, especially if it's using Source. I hope this is coming to Steam as well.

DanDeFool

Elite Member
Aug 19, 2009
Did he say, "Man didn't create Hell, Bavarians did?"

Fucking Bavarians. Them and their... beer! And... fucking... bratwursts... and shit! Fuck those assholes!

Elementlmage

Aug 14, 2009
This better come to PC. I mean, there is no reason at all to not make the easiest port EVER. All they will have to do is add mouse support and hit compile! It's Source for God's sake!

-edit-

Wait, God didn't make war, man did... WHAT? The very first war ever (according to the Bible) was waged between Lucifer and God. How did they screw that up?

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Since it's 5th Cell, I'm sure it'll suck just as hard as Scribblenauts and Super Scribblenauts did.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
Oh boy another game where I get to play a space marine in a power suit.
Let me guess, there will be a cover system where I can hide behind chest high walls too!

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
Confoundit, 5th Cell. I don't want your darn grey-brown bandwagon-hopping space marine shoot-fest! I want Lock's Quest 2! I'm so tired of this nonsense.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
hmm I kinda like the monologue

but they might be trying a bit hard with the new art direction and all hahaa

figures. I'm still itching for a game that parodies the gritty manly action genre OH WAIT Duke Nukem Forever lulz (altho that's sort of a self-parody parody now...)