Demigod Devs Hand Out Apology Coupons

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Demigod Devs Hand Out Apology Coupons

Gas Powered Games are issuing money-off coupons to apologize for network problems over the last couple of months.

You might recall that Demigod had a bit of a problem with pirates [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/91001-Demigod-Piracy-Running-High] when it was released, as thousands of pirated copies devastated the game's servers. These problems persisted into May, leaving Gas Powered Games with more than a few disgruntled customers

Well, nothing says sorry quite like a coupon and Gas Powered Games, being the savvy business folk that they are, know this. Which is why the are giving money-off coupons to Demigod owners to apologize for the network problems they've encountered over the last couple of months.

The coupons will allow customers to purchase a copy of Demigod half price, which seems a bizarre gesture considering that everyone who qualifies for the voucher already owns the game. Still, it's nice to see a developer that actually gives a damn about it's community and getting the game the game for half price might be just the ticket for people who have been put off buying the game due to, well, articles like this...

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/22/stardock-issuing-apology-coupons-for-demigod-network-issues/]

cambodiancam

Apr 16, 2009
Damn pirates! When will they learn there only ruining the gaming business. The music and movies I could deal with but games kinda takes it too far for me.

Theissen

Jan 8, 2008
If anyone has an extra voucher, I'll be more than happy to receive it.

Demigod looks nice, but I don't feel like spending money on it at the price it has now.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
The Shade said:
nilcypher said:
Still, it's nice to see a developer that actually gives a damn about it's community.
*cough* VALVe *cough*

o_0
Yes. Valve know EXACTLY what the people want, they Know what makes a game good...and then they make it. Man, i love valve so much..

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
Tenmar said:
Meh I'll take a voucher and give it to my brother. Demigod is a decent game but it needs more map variety because it is always a straight on conflict and the item system is something I still have yet to figure out.
Remember that DotA had only ONE map for gods know how long. And I only started playing Demigod like a week ago, so I have yet to get "burnt out" from playing the same thing over and over again, wish there were more heroes or even the ability to create your own avatar.

Anachronism

Apr 9, 2009
These guys are saints. Seriously, what motivated them to do this? Their DRM-light game gets pirated to hell and back, and because of these pirates, their servers take a hit. Because of the server slowdowns, they then offer money off to everyone who's bought the game. For something that wasn't their fault.

I salute Stardock, and wish them the best of luck in everything they do. Anyone who pirates one of their games is going to burn in a very special level of Hell.

razer17

Feb 3, 2009
cambodiancam said:
Damn pirates! When will they learn there only ruining the gaming business. The music and movies I could deal with but games kinda takes it too far for me.
read as - i only care about the issue when it affects me. as such, you're opinion is invalid.
if music and movie pirating don't matter, nor does game piracy. either none of them matter, or all of them matter.

as for this news: well done stardock games. this should give you a big plus in the gaming community.

triorph

Aug 5, 2008
Anachronism said:
These guys are saints. Seriously, what motivated them to do this? Their DRM-light game gets pirated to hell and back, and because of these pirates, their servers take a hit. Because of the server slowdowns, they then offer money off to everyone who's bought the game. For something that wasn't their fault.

I salute Stardock, and wish them the best of luck in everything they do. Anyone who pirates one of their games is going to burn in a very special level of Hell.
The network problems weren't entirely the pirates fault. They fixed that problem within about 2 days but they were still plagued by other problems for several months. Basically the game requires a peer to peer connection between all the players, however to do so one must somehow bypass the inherent port-blocking of NAT, which they hadn't perfectly figured out how to do. Usually the solution to such a problem is to have a seperate intermediary server players can connect to if they can't establish peer to peer, but GPG obviously doesn't want to have to foot the bill for that.

You can be mad at the pirates all you want but this is still GPG's fault more than the pirates.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
Ashbax said:
The Shade said:
nilcypher said:
Still, it's nice to see a developer that actually gives a damn about it's community.
*cough* VALVe *cough*

o_0
Yes. Valve know EXACTLY what the people want, they Know what makes a game good...and then they make it. Man, i love valve so much..
So where is any form of news on episode 3?

oliveira8

Feb 2, 2009
johnman said:
Ashbax said:
The Shade said:
nilcypher said:
*cough* VALVe *cough*

o_0
Yes. It might come out sometime during our lifes.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
johnman said:
Ashbax said:
The Shade said:
nilcypher said:
*cough* VALVe *cough*

o_0
Shhh! anyway, it took them ten years to release TF2, and that was epic.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
Anachronism said:
Which is why, my money goes to them, not to EA.
I am yet to meet someone who uses the EA Downloader as a buying platform.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
cambodiancam said:
Same here. Being a Game Art student I find it sickening when I come across pirate copies on the campus common server. Most I can do is hit the delete key.

teisjm

Mar 3, 2009
How do i get my coupon?

well can't really complain, I got the game this friday (the release day in europe) and it was only 280 DKR, where a new pc game is normally 400-450 DKR

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
Ashbax said:
johnman said:
Ashbax said:
The Shade said:
nilcypher said:
*cough* VALVe *cough*

o_0
Shhh! anyway, it took them ten years to release TF2, and that was epic.
Which do you think will come first, Duke Nukem Forever or HL2: E3?