Second Judge Removed From Pirate Bay Trial

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Second Judge Removed From Pirate Bay Trial

A second judge has been removed from the Pirate Bay trial, following accusations of pro-copyright bias.

The Pirate Bay trial could charitably be called a 'tumultuous' and more honestly be called a 'shambles'. Half the charges were dropped on the second day and after the guilty verdict was eventually announced, it was discovered that judge Tomas Norström belonged to two pro-copyright lobbying groups, the Swedish Association for the Protection of Industrial Property and the Swedish Copyright Association.

Following this discovery, one of the defendant's lawyers requested a retrial and judge Ulrika Ifrfelt was assigned to the case by the court of appeal. Guess what? She also belonged to the two organizations and has subsequently been removed from the case.

A statement from the appeal court reads, "The reasons for [Ifrelt's removal] is that the question of whether the original judge was biased needs to be tried by other judges other than those that later may have been given the case. Furthermore, because of the content of the claim of bias, it has been deemed proper that the question should be answered by a division that is not specialized in copyright."

The case has since been assigned to a trio of judges who will hopefully reach a decision on the issue of bias with the next few weeks

Source: MCV [http://www.mcvuk.com/news/34385/Second-judge-removed-from-Pirate-Bay-case]

kaziard

Oct 28, 2008
hehe i love those guys, if they wernt running pirate bay im pretty sure they would be ruling the world by now...

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Jesus christ. They just don't understand do they.

I would make a sarcastic comment, but when there are idiotic, stupid cases like this to finally put the axe to, then I just can't be bothered.

-10 faith in humanity.

Art Axiv

Cultural Code-Switcher
Dec 25, 2008
kaziard said:
hehe i love those guys, if they wernt running pirate bay im pretty sure they would be ruling the world by now...
Maybe not, but they could run a successful business maybe, and change their view about copyrights.

World goes like this:
Users are mainly pro data-sharing.
Business are all against data-sharing.

It will stay like that im afraid.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
nilcypher said:
The Pirate Bay trial could charity be called a 'tumultuous' and more honestly be called a 'shambles'.
I think you mean charitably.

Everytime I've heard information about this case, it's been an absolute mess. The Pirate's Bay may be pirates and kind of, you know, evil, but at least they've got their shit together, which seems to be a lot more than can be said for the Swedish courts.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
*Mental note: Of all the places to be strung up in a kangaroo-court, make sure it's Sweden. They seem to suck at it.

yeah_so_no

Sep 11, 2008
Way to go, guys.

The whole trial was a joke from the get-go. I'm SO glad TBP is appealing.

Andy_Panthro

Man of Science
May 3, 2009
Cheeze_Pavilion said:
I love it--for all the talk the anti-piracy side makes about laws and rights, the idea of due process of law goes right over their heads.

Makes you realize the anti-piracy side isn't made up of people truly interested in justice: they're just for the most part a bunch of whiny little brats.
I totally agree, you get the feeling that they just didn't care about being biased. They just thought nobody would bother to appeal or check the judges backgrounds. Makes you despair for the legal system in Sweden.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm still waiting for the news that they managed to break out of prison and upon investigation officials found that they had pirated the first two seasons of Prison Break.

All joking aside, hurrah for a judicial system that isn't completely broken.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
odubya23 said:
Ninety-nine cents for a song? Fuck that noise! I'll limewire it!
BTW, get an external drive for your music, if the RIAA ever does come to your door, smash it with a hammer.
Better yet. Micro SDs.

External HDs are large and easy to spot smashed. The little chips are easily concealed (or lost.)