Warner Confirms F.E.A.R. 3 Release Date, Preorder Bonuses

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Warner Confirms F.E.A.R. 3 Release Date, Preorder Bonuses

Warner Bros. has locked down the release date for F.E.A.R. 3 [http://www.amazon.com/F-R-3-Pc/dp/B003GSZAOY/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1288641589&sr=8-3] and unveiled three retailer-specific preorder bonuses.

F.E.A.R. 3, the third part of and fifth game in the cool but increasingly incoherent F.E.A.R. [http://www.amazon.com/F-R-First-Encounter-Assault-Pc/dp/B0000ZUGZ4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1288641658&sr=1-1] FPS franchise, was originally targeted for release in time for the 2010 holiday season but in August was pushed back to 2011 for reasons unknown. Now we've got something a little more specific to work with: March 22, 2011, will be the day Paxton Fettel, the Point Man, Alma Wade and the rest of the happy gang return for another round of horror-packed violence.

Preorder bonuses have also been revealed. Amazon is offering a 12-page F.E.A.R. 3 comic book to fans who lay down their money early, a prequel to the game written by Steve Niles, illustrated by Stefano Raffaele and published by DC Comics that bridges the gap between the original F.E.A.R. and the new game. Gamers who preorder at Best Buy will get The Shredder, "a choice weapon for taking down rogue super soldiers" that fires heavy rounds with nitrates, while Gamestop has what I figure is the coolest of the bunch: The Hammer, Paxton Fettel's personal sidearm from back in the days when he actually needed one. The Hammer fires .50 caliber rounds and does almost twice the damage of a standard pistol.

The new chapter in the F.E.A.R. saga will apparently see the Point Man, the hero of the original game, team up with his not-quite-dead brother Paxton as their mother Alma, pregnant with the love-terror child of Michael Becket, the hero of the second game, struggles to come to terms with her impending motherhood, inflicting unimaginable psychic horror and trauma on the world around her as she does. Or something like that. Got all that? I don't, and the F.E.A.R. continuity is such a mess at this point that no 12-page comic book in the world is going to set it right. So I'll take a gun, please!

F.E.A.R. 3 is currently in development for the PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3.

Source: IGN [http://pc.ign.com/articles/113/1130950p1.html]

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
I played a demo of the second one and enjoyed it. As long as they don't change the controls and keep it scary, I just might get this game.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
I Have the second one and the first, they need to go back to the styling of the first with the randomizing of the second. 2 felt really cartoony to me for some reason. As a side note I loathe preorder bonuses they have really cool stuff, but ever since mercs 2 I don't trust anyone to make a game that I'm paying 70+ bucks for to blindly put down cash until someones kicked the tires in and makes sure it didn't jump the shark before hand.

Anah'ya

a Taffer
Jun 19, 2010
I have some very fond memories of F.E.A.R--not so much the second part though. Looking forward to giving this one a shot.

Fatal-X

Feb 17, 2010
FEAR's story is a mess, sad but true. Shit started to get weird with the expansion packs, but it could have been repaired. After the second FEAR all is lost ;). But to be honest all games from this franchise, for me, never were about story or even the fear aspect, it was about shooting stuff.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
I want the comic book one! Seeing as F.E.A.R 2 didn't even touch anything from F.E.A.R, I want to know what happened to the rest of The Point Man's team. Hopefully the comic will explain that. I hope they're not dead, but seeing as there hasn't been any mention of them, I fear the worst.
And the story's not that hard to follow. The expansion packs for the first game aren't part of the storyline, so taking them out makes it easy. It's weird, no doubt about that, but that doesn't make it hard to follow.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
I'm really looking forward to this game, and I'm really happy Point Man is back. Though I wish they would actually make the expansion packs for the first game cannon. I don't know why they threw them out. Extraction point had such an epic ending that they, imo, should've used it as a jumping point into the second game. Oh well.

Assassin Xaero

Jul 23, 2008
I've loved this series, the second FEAR to a lesser extent, but this one looks amazing, too. New Vegas did teach me one thing though... If you actually want to play the game and are excited for it and/or preorder bonuses, don't preorder from Best Buy.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Sniper Team 4 said:
I want the comic book one! Seeing as F.E.A.R 2 didn't even touch anything from F.E.A.R, I want to know what happened to the rest of The Point Man's team. Hopefully the comic will explain that. I hope they're not dead, but seeing as there hasn't been any mention of them, I fear the worst.
And the story's not that hard to follow. The expansion packs for the first game aren't part of the storyline, so taking them out makes it easy. It's weird, no doubt about that, but that doesn't make it hard to follow.
Yeah, the expansion packs cover what happened to Point Man's team. Specifically, Extraction Point. It's bad.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
FEAR was great. The expansions were pretty much crap. FEAR 2 was better than them but still not even in the neighbourhood of the original; like XT said, it just didn't have the weight of the original. It was still a solid shooter but I expect more from FEAR. I really hope FEAR 3 (F3AR?) lives up to the promise of the first game but based on what I've seen so far, I'm not holding my breath. (Still gonna preorder it, though.)

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
The expansions are non-cannon if that helps clear anything up

I do hope this game will be more like FEAR 1, I didn't like the second nearly as much.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Fatal-X said:
FEAR's story is a mess, sad but true. Shit started to get weird with the expansion packs, but it could have been repaired. After the second FEAR all is lost ;). But to be honest all games from this franchise, for me, never were about story or even the fear aspect, it was about shooting stuff.
Shit started getting weird about the time you went to Armicam in the first game and it never recovered. Though the expansions are part of a completely separate universe. FEAR 2 just followed the first game's lead into incomprehensible plot writing.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
cobrausn said:
Sniper Team 4 said:
Yeah, the expansion packs cover what happened to Point Man's team. Specifically, Extraction Point. It's bad.
I know that. Expect, according to the people that own the F.E.A.R franchise again, the expansion packs aren't part of the storyline. So I keep hoping that they're still alive. If they wanted to acknowledge the expansion packs, but then also say they're not part of the story, it would be easy. Alma made the point man imagine all those things. F.E.A.R 3 could start with him viewing all those events, then Jin (I think that's her name) shakes him awake. "Are you okay? Good. We need to get out of here. Something's...wrong." Piece of cake.
Cheating, I know, but doable.

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
Urgh the flashes in the game would give me horrible migraines. Love the whole 'horror' aspect of it though

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
LtFerret said:
The expansions are non-cannon if that helps clear anything up
No explosives in them?

--

I hope they go with F.E.A.R. 3 -- not with the lame F3AR. I quite enjoyed the first game, and parts of the second. If they can capture the spirit of those games it can be good. Just hope it won't be dumbed down for consoles too much.