Play Zork on a Real Typewriter

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Play Zork on a Real Typewriter

A tinkerer modified a real functioning typewriter to allow you to play text adventure games like Zork.

Got a spare typewriter sitting around collecting dust? Many of us do, but Jonathan Guberman decided to take his and turn it into a game controller. Guberman has been "a biomedical engineer, a computer animator, a mathematician, a molecular biologist, and a computer programmer," and he is a frequent contributor to the how he did it to non-tech people [http://hacklab.to/]. He calls his invention the Automatypewriter.

[vimeo=16311288]

Here you can see the typewriter playing the opening from the one of the most beloved text adventure games Zork. Guberman types his commands into the contraption and it outputs the response from the game. I wonder if he'll be eaten by a grue [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grue_(monster)].

While right now, the Automatypewriter is only a neat invention, with the only practical advantage that I can see is that you can archive your play in Zork, but Guberman promises that a custom application is being written for the Automatypewriter by one of his colleagues, Jim Munroe, a Canadian science-fiction author.

Who knows exactly what that will entail, if it will be a game or an interactive novel, but it all sounds really exciting. Read more about how Guberman made the Automatypewriter at his blog Up, Not North [http://upnotnorth.net/projects/typewriter/].

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Now, if only the keyboard came in a theme other than mid-90's plastic...

Nerf Ninja

Dec 20, 2008
That needs to be steampunkified! even the name fits, just needs to be called Dr. Jonathan Gubermans' Astounding Automatypewriter on a fancy scrolly brass plate on the front. Add voice recognition too.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah that's kinda cool but also kinda pointless... I mean, yeah, that's pretty nifty. But I could play Zork without the required use of paper, ink ribbons, and the time delay in waiting for it to type what happens to me.

ClassicJokester

I Love You.
Apr 16, 2010
mjc0961 said:
Yeah that's kinda cool but also kinda pointless... I mean, yeah, that's pretty nifty. But I could play Zork without the required use of paper, ink ribbons, and the time delay in waiting for it to type what happens to me.
I may be wrong, but I think the objective was to make an awesome contraption out of a typewriter, not to play Zork.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
This is more steampunk than steampunk. No office should be without one.

Roll out the continuous forms!

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Xanthious said:
This makes me think of Fringe . . . . .
With that thought in mind, just need to teach the typewriter how to play chess(With just specification of coordinates and moves, keeping the board in your head) and you can imagine yourself playing chess against someone in another universe. I like that idea.