Greasy Fingers Don't Matter With Kinect

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Greasy Fingers Don't Matter With Kinect

Microsoft will soon prove the true advantage of controller free technology: There's nothing to get greasy.

If you walk into your local Burger King in the near future and see people jumping around like lunatics, don't be afraid, and please don't call the police. They're probably only playing Kinect [http://www.amazon.com/Kinect-Sensor-Adventures-Xbox-360/dp/B002BSA298/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288715199&sr=8-1] in a new promotion announced to advertise the upcoming Xbox 360 device. However, if they're not playing Kinect upon closer inspection, you probably should call the police after all.

Burger King and Microsoft have announced a cross-promotion that will give away a Kinect to Whopper eaters every 15 minutes for the next 28 days. Buying a Whopper value meal at participating Burger King restaurants will provide a code that is entered on hoping for [http://www.bkkinect.com], but maybe those are still coming later.

Microsoft is also installing Kinect demo units in various Burger King restaurants so customers can try it out, which brings me to my next point. The controller for a videogame kiosk in a fast-food restaurant would normally become one of the most bacteria-covered objects in the history of the universe. All of that hamburger, onion ring, and french fry grease wouldn't make for a very sanitary play environment. Microsoft may have missed the boat in neglecting to promote Kinect as a way to play games while still being able to eat food that covers your hands.

How many times have you wanted to eat cheese curls or Doritos while playing a videogame, but you just didn't want an orange controller? Those days are now behind us, though it'll probably be a little weird when Kinect is eventually scolding us as it recognizes that we're eating a meatball sandwich. Sony says that more hardcore [http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Starter-Bundle-3/dp/B002I0J4NE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288717800&sr=8-1] because it has buttons, but I think we've found the downfall of those buttons after all.

Dec 14, 2009
Selling a device that could be considered 'excercise' in a fast food joint...

[sub]The irony. I can taste it![/sub]

skitskat

Apr 14, 2009
is this america only? if its in england then i'll try and win it and then sell the xbox and stuff :p i'd rather have the cashola that some stupid xbox :p

MisterGobbles

Nov 30, 2009
I remember the N64 kiosks they had (and still have) at some McDonald's. Good lord were those controllers nasty...

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Hm... I shall win a kinect and since I have not enough space, I will sell it on E-bay for $50

Prof. Monkeypox

Mar 17, 2010
This is the first real (better than controller) benefit to the kinect I've seen so far (assuming you're not already into motion controls). Still, I tend to not eat much while gaming, so I don't really need this benefit.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010

A challenger approaches.

It's a bit of a silly promotion, but, grats to those who win it.

Sejvos

May 12, 2010
Still not thrilled about Kinect.But getting hunger for a whopper right now.

VulakAerr

Mar 31, 2010
I am going to get so ill eating pizza on white-water rapids. BLEURGH! I guess that's what the little inflatable raft is for? To catch my barf?

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Damnit, Tom! That picture made me hungry!
Eh, this is one weird promotion, and probably won't make people want to play it.

KEM10

Oct 22, 2008
I like it, I can now stuff my fat face and not have to pause my game.

Only problem, this is going directly against Mc Donald's Monopoly game. Oh the decisions of where to waste my money for a prize I won't win.

Oct 14, 2010
Squashed french fries are one of the slipperiest substances known to man. Have any of those around the Kinect demo units and you're just asking for injury lawsuits.

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
I seem to remember something that had a similar feature, I believe it was called the Eyetoy. Now i'm off to get some Burger King.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
KEM10 said:
I like it, I can now stuff my fat face and not have to pause my game.
You can eat and jump around at the same time? That's just a choking hazard for me. I mean, I can walk or do things, but focused and highly-active behavior? No, thanks, I want my windpipe exclusively for wind.

DeASplode

Nov 26, 2009
Just wondering, have they announced any good games yet?

Like a FPS or Third Person Platformer or something.