Kinect Will Learn as You Play, Says Microsoft

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Kinect Will Learn as You Play, Says Microsoft

The more you use Kinect, the better it will work for you, says Microsoft's Alex Kipman.

Everybody is different, from the way they look, to the way they move, and when Microsoft was building Kinect, it realized that trying to accommodate all that diversity with a lot of code simply wasn't going to work. Instead, it decided to take a different tack: Start Kinect off with a generic model, and have it learn the rest as it went along.

Kinect essentially takes notes on the people using it, making the experience better for them by being able to better recognize the way that they move and other elements like the layout of their playing space. Microsoft's director of incubation Alex Kipman likened the approach to the way a child learns to differentiate between people, or between people and other animals, saying that over time, Kinect built up an increasingly accurate picture of the people using it and its environment. He said that this was the only way of making Kinect work the way that Microsoft wanted, as the number of man-hours needed to get the same effect with traditional, "cause and effect," programming was too big to ever be feasible.

Interestingly, all this learning won't have too much of an effect on the Xbox 360's processor. Despite earlier comments saying that Kinect would use between 10 and 15 percent of the 360's CPU, Kipman says that Microsoft has managed to get that number down to "single digits." Microsoft achieved this by using the graphics processor to handle the bulk of Kinect's learning experience, a task that Kipman says that it's much better at than the main processor.

Kipman was confident that Kinect wouldn't have a negative effect on games, as there was always "significant amount of processing" left to use, even with the most recent releases. He acknowledged that it would be something that developers would have to take into account when building their games, but said it was no different from the compromises made when a studio licensed a third-party engine for its game.

Kinect will be available tomorrow in North America, on November 10th in Europe, and November 18th in Australia.

Source: Games Industry [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-11-02-the-ghost-in-the-machine-interview?page=1]

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
great, so now you call microsoft support :

-Hey my kinect keep bugging !
-No, it's because it's havent learn enough yet, keep playing !

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
So it will learn and adapt? Good god, we need to destroy it now, before it decides to rebel against us! Who would have thought the robot revolution would come from a gaming device?

IAS: It's a nice feature. Still not interested in Kinect, but good to see it will hopefully work for those who are interested.

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Mr. Omega said:
So it will learn and adapt? Good god, we need to destroy it now, before it decides to rebel against us! Who would have thought the robot revolution would come from a gaming device?

IAS: It's a nice feature. Still not interested in Kinect, but good to see it will hopefully work for those who are interested.
Finally! Someone else that isn't interested but isn't just ragging on it!

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
That's cool. But have them link up what they've learned over Live to teach one another.

AND THEN KINECT WILL RULE THE WORLD.

Seriously, though. That's pretty cool.

Brotherofwill

Jan 25, 2009
Me: Hey! That was me swinging my arm Kinect! Jesus Christ! Make my character move!

Kinect: I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave.

Me: Wha...wha...

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
has anyone stopped paying attention these whore-like advertisements? I have, I can no longer read articles about this.

zHellas

Quite Not Right
Feb 7, 2010
Brotherofwill said:
Me: Hey! That was me swinging my arm Kinect! Jesus Christ! Make my character move!

Kinect: I'm afraid I can't let you do that, Dave.

Me: Wha...wha...
Me: But... B-But my name's not Dave.

Kinect: Sorry, wrong Xbox!

Georgie_Leech

Nov 10, 2009
post="7.242743.8804187" said:
Microsoft achieved this by using the graphics processor to handle the bulk of Kinect's learning experience, a task that Kipman says that it's much better at than the main processor.
Am I the only one curious as to why the Graphics processor is apparently more powerful than everything else, including the bits actually used to play the game?

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
mad825 said:
has anyone stopped paying attention these whore-like advertisements? I have, I can no longer read articles about this.
I read the so I can read all the bashing about Kinect in the comments :D
Srsly tho I am sure this will not get in to the "HC gamers" market... Or .. Playing Halo with Kinect... Tbag for real???

Well... I am still sticking with my PC.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
I'll be waiting to see if it really works as advertised.

Pardon me if I'm having serious doubts about it though; just about every other "adapts as you play" market angle in memory for any other product has been just short of a flat out lie.

(*mumbles something about a master chess simulator*)

Rune Kristiansen

Oct 6, 2010
Oh, goodie! =) I can be a part of gaming revolution; I get to offer up my xbox as construction materials for the geth! =)

Edit: not that I really care about movement-based gaming; when I play games, I plop down in my recliner, and the only arm-waving I do is to signal for my girl or cat to getch more coke. Doesn't matter which of them I ask; same result.
The learn as you play approach sounds iffy, though; at best, it's just a glorified and over-complicated version of the sensitivity sliders.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Mr. Omega said:

Resistance is Futile!

All kidding aside, that sounds great in theory Microsoft, but I remain skeptical. And that's still without the fact that the Kinect is a peripheral and not your main control method, meaning that not many 3rd Party devs are going to be keen to working with it due to uncertainty of everyone purchasing it.

Anton P. Nym

Sep 18, 2007
mad825 said:
LogicFail. You replied to this article. This article is about Kinect. Therefor you have "read articles about this." lern2logic, noob.

SinisterGehe said:
Srsly tho I am sure this will not get in to the "HC gamers" market... Or .. Playing Halo with Kinect... Tbag for real???
Not Halo, no... but Steel Battalion and Panzer Dragoon are coming to Kinect. I'm willing to wait and see how those turn out before making up my mind about Kinect and the hardcore audience.

Still, the technology fascinates me. I might pick one up next year, depending upon the games (hint hint, MGS) and user reviews of how it works in games and the Dashboard.

-- Steve

FrostyChick

Little Miss Vampire.
Jul 13, 2010
I, for one welcome our new robotic overlords
[sub]please don't kill me Kenny T^T[/sub]

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
I'm gonna wait and see if kinect actually works. my theory is that at least twenty threads about how buggy it is turn up on this website.

and on a serious note: Dear god!! they're learning!!!! STOP THEM!!!!!!

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
cathou said:
great, so now you call microsoft support :

-Hey my kinect keep bugging !
-No, it's because it's havent learn enough yet, keep playing !
Alright, lets say you're a shy person, and you move kinda luggish at first, so the kinect learns this. You gain your confidence and you start moving different, and so when Kinect isn't quite working right and you call in you get "Well YOU changed your moving style. Now the kinect has to accomodate that and learn your style ALL over again"

Like it's our fault...

And for those who want to bash me and tell me to stop complaining, recognize a joke. I think it can be a really interesting feature, and while it won't be bought by me, I'minterested to see where it goes

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
Anton P. Nym said:
mad825 said:
LogicFail. You replied to this article. This article is about Kinect. Therefor you have "read articles about this." lern2logic, noob.
wtf?
never read the article, just the title, got bored.

perhaps act more like a grown-up next time? this is not XboxLive

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
This is cool and all, but why are we learning about this feature for the first time a few days b4 launch? I would think this was the type of thing they would flaunt at e3. No matter how bad Kinect may turn out to be, this is a feature that the Move and Wii do not have, so you have to wonder why it hasn't been shoved down our throats for the last few months along with the rest of the marketing.