Resident Evil Creator Calling It Quits After Next Game

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Resident Evil Creator Calling It Quits After Next Game

The man who created Resident Evil and Vanquish will be leaving game directing to the next generation after his upcoming project.

Last week, we learned the surprising news that Bethesda parent Zenimax had acquired Tango Gameworks [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104808-Resident-Evil-Creator-Joins-the-Bethesda-Family], the new studio headed by respected Japanese developer and Resident Evil mastermind Shinji Mikami.

Mikami naturally had his reasons for signing up with Zenimax and Bethesda, he told Japanese gaming mag Famitsu (as translated by 1UP [http://www.1up.com/news/shinji-mikami-discusses-joining-bethesda]). He knew all along that he wanted to be under the umbrella of a publisher rather than having to "live hand-to-mouth" as an independent developer, and he decided Bethesda made the most sense.

"Bethesda was the best match among them because they gave us the most independent development environment to work with as we pursue our goal of producing Japanese games that work worldwide - that, and their track record when it comes to overseas sales."

Whatever game Mikami is working on, it's apparently very creepy [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104893-Resident-Evil-Creator-Unveils-Creepiest-Concept-Art-Ever]. It's also apparently the last game Mikami plans to be directly involved in as a director before sitting back to just run his company. "I can only last for so long handling both director and company president duties, and besides, I want to give our younger developers a chance," he told Famitsu.

"Knowing that, of course, makes me want to put all of my experience, my energy, and everything else I've got into this game. I'm pretty lucky that [Bethesda] was willing to accept that, too. Too many publishers are only interested in the very near future, after all."

Mikami has been involved in the creation of many of Capcom's key franchises like Devil May Cry and Resident Evil as well as niche cult favorites like Viewtiful Joe, P.N.03 and God Hand. His most recent title was the well-received Vanquish [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8256-Review-Vanquish].

(1UP [http://www.1up.com/news/shinji-mikami-discusses-joining-bethesda])

SnipErlite

Aug 16, 2009
The game industry will be sad to lose him. There are some damn good games in the list that he was involved in. Thanks, Shinji Mikami.

BrunDeign

Feb 14, 2008
Dammit Escapist don't scare me like that!

I thought he was actually retiring by the way the title sounded.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
Well, that will be a shame. I hope he manages to instill some of his collective wisdom and style into the younger generation so that we can continue to enjoy "his" games. It's always possible that he'll get the itch again down the road -- once a developer, always a developer, if you ask me -- so we'll just have to wait and see.

Either way, thanks for the good times, Shinji Mikami. I salute you.

Whichi

Sep 13, 2010
I was thinking that this was going to be the end of the Resident Evil series. I don't have anything against the game series, but the further the story gets dragged out, the more the story goes from a simple timeline to one massive clusterfucked web of events that doesnt seem to make sense unless you pay attention to the right cutscenes and read all the right hidden documents.

As for all the other games named... Viewtiful joe: Loved it
Godhand: godsend :D
DMC: somewhere along the lines of tolerable and fun.
PN03: haven't played it so i can't say anything about it.

I do have a massive amount of respect for his decision to step down on creating games. For too long the old giants do nothing but stick with the old, and barely give the younger generation a chance, and things like that will lead to some kind of disaster that we can't exactly forsee. Give the young bucks a chance, and you never know what might be the new goldmine of a next-gen colsole series.

Ignatz_Zwakh

Sep 3, 2010
Well, it's sad, but I'm still thankful for all the bitchin' games he made. Thank you Mr. Mikami. I'd give you an epic handshake if you were in close proximity to me right now. :(

True Nero

Dahaka Trainer
May 26, 2009
wait.. so he's actually moving to bethesda instead of actually quiting entirely. thats a huge relief.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
True Nero said:
wait.. so he's actually moving to bethesda instead of actually quiting entirely. thats a huge relief.
Actually, he's done the following.
a) Created a new game developer,
b) Entered a partnership (sold it?) with Bethesda Zenimax using said new developer.
c) Is directing a new game.
d) After he finishes directing this game, he's going to stick to being CEO of the new game developer, and not direct any more games.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
What's with Capcom employees suddenly leaving all of a sudden?
Pretty soon the studio will be reduced to one person.

Apr 28, 2008
Well good luck to him. He's created so many great games. DMC, Viewtiful Joe, Godhand... The man deserves a break.

I hope his company does well.

PrototypeC

Apr 19, 2009
But will Resident Evil die properly? Why no, people still buy it.

I love all his other games though, even if only from a design perspective.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Well, whatever you decide to do Mikami i will respect you for the games you helped create.