EA CEO: Medal of Honor is a "Franchise Once Again"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
EA CEO: Medal of Honor is a "Franchise Once Again"

Electronic Arts CEO John Riccitiello says that Medal of Honor [http://www.amazon.com/Medal-Honor-Xbox-360/dp/B000TI836G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288797634&sr=8-1] sales "exceeded our plan and expectations" and that the game is very likely to become a franchise once again.

Boy, it seems like only yesterday that EA Vice President Patrick Soderlund said that the Medal of Honor reboot "didn't meet our quality expectations." Oh wait, that was yesterday [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104938-EA-Medal-of-Honor-Didnt-Meet-Our-Quality-Expectations]. "In order to be successful in that space, we're going to have to have a game that is really, really strong," he said.

Or maybe not. Missed expectations notwithstanding, Riccitiello made it clear during a call to investors that Medal of Honor "is absolutely (a) clear success."

EA's Greg Goodrich said back in September that Medal of Honor would need to move a minimum of Call of Duty: Black Ops [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103375-Three-Million-Copies-or-No-Sequel-for-Medal-of-Honor] just a few days away, probably won't climb much higher. "Consumer feedback has been strong to suggest that we've got a franchise now, once again, that we could successfully and effectively sequel in the future," he said.

"The game has exceeded our plan and expectations sell-through and sell-in, and those expectations were, they went up as they went from planned to forecast and as we updated our forecast through for the year," he continued. "So in every possible gate of opportunity to increase the forecast we did, and then we exceeded those forecast based on strong selling numbers. So it is absolutely clear success as a business for us."

Riccitiello obviously isn't going to come down too hard on one of his company's supposed flagship titles during a conference call with investors, but at the same time I don't think it's likely that he'd gush so much about sequelizing the game if there wasn't at least a decent chance of it happening. The lesson? Sales are what count at the end of the day and sometimes, it seems, "good enough" really is good enough.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=273422]

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
So it wasnt as good as they wanted...but it was still a success? They were pumpingit up as if it would surpass call of duty, and it didnt even come close.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
wow, their sales expectations must have been pretty low

though I share my opinion with Mark from the Classic Game Room, the helicopter moments were excellent

hence, they should have done a new GunBlade NY reboot

luckycharms8282

Mar 28, 2009
It looked like an alright game, its just missing that edge that makes you want to keep coming back to it.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
You'd think they'd be more careful with their PR statements, considering how ridiculously easy they can get caught out on it.

Aren't multimillion dollar corporations supposed to be good at this sort of thing?

A Pious Cultist

Jul 4, 2009
Please... don't. :(
I liked the Playstation 1 MoH games, this new one looks (and I've been told is on good authority) shit though.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
OBJECTION!!!

Contradiction!
Is your company satisfied with the sales, or is it not?

And piss on your Medal of Honor "franchise". It died once for good reason.
We don't need another fucking Pseudo-realistic War Shooter stinking up the market.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
So from a sale stand point it is a success and from a game stand point it is not?
In other word, he meant the game marketing was good but not the game itself?

Siberian Relic

Jan 15, 2010
Rented this game Day One and am glad I didn't put any more cash down for it. Ambitious and well-intended, but underwhelming, staggered, unpolished, and surprisingly unsatisfying. Not to mention my dissatisfaction with EA at large, their ego trumpeting how this game would eventually overthrow Call of Duty. Well, haven't played the game since it came out and haven't been bothered by the absence one bit.

MOH is MEH.

twm1709

Nov 19, 2009
"The game has exceeded our plan and expectations sell-through and sell-in, and those expectations were, they went up as they went from planned to forecast and as we updated our forecast through for the year," he continued. "So in every possible gate of opportunity to increase the forecast we did, and then we exceeded those forecast based on strong selling numbers. So it is absolutely clear success as a business for us."
Am I the only one having trouble understanding this paragraph? for a moment it almost feels like Yoda talk

Taawus

Oct 21, 2008
Translation:
EA CEO: Medal of Honor is a "Milk-able Cashcow Once Again"