Microsoft Nearly Doubles Record-Breaking Kinect Sales Forecast

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Microsoft Nearly Doubles Record-Breaking Kinect Sales Forecast

Microsoft now thinks its previous forecast of 3 million Kinect sales for this year is way too low.

When Microsoft Kinect [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103519-Microsoft-Predicts-3-Million-Kinect-Sales-Over-the-Holidays] devices this holiday season, making it what the company called the "biggest platform launch ever," I was initially skeptical. Was the Kinect really connecting with enough people to be worth the $150 cost of entry? Apparently so, as Microsoft has recently upped its sales forecast by a couple million units.

President of Microsoft Interactive Entertainment Business Don Mattrick told Bloomberg this week that the company now expects to sell 5 million Kinect cameras for the fiscal quarter, which would be the biggest launch in Xbox history. Microsoft is making a profit [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104693-Microsoft-Will-Make-a-Profit-on-Every-Kinect] off of every device sold, so along with the sales of Kinect games the conglomerate is looking to make it huge in motion gaming this year.

Microsoft is promoting Kinect with the aid of around Oprah's television show [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104479-Microsoft-Spending-400-Million-on-Kinect-Launch]. Microsoft didn't give a reason why it was increasing its forecast by such a large amount, but the Oprah Effect probably didn't hurt.

If there's one thing Microsoft knows how to do, it's spending money on marketing. Kinect will launch on November 4, but don't worry if you can't find one in stores, because with this new forecast one of your friends will probably have it.

Source: Bloomberg [http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-11-03/microsoft-expects-to-sell-5-million-kinect-gadgets-this-quarter.html]

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
the bigger the forecast gets, the more I hope someone in market research is just trollin them.

No doubt not the case, but one can dream.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Makes me wonder how Redmond, Washington celebrates Halloween. Because if it causes these kinds of hallucinations then I want to be there next year!

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if Kinect does do well, but that kind of forecast sounds like something made up by a meteorologist.
Hey Microsoft, you wanna sell 3 million Kinects in two month's time? Then make it compatible with PC!

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
the bigger the forecast gets, the more I hope someone in market research is just trollin them.

No doubt not the case, but one can dream.
That's okay, it is a beautiful dream after all.

ddq5

I wonder what the character limi
Jun 18, 2009
The bigger they talk up Kinect, the more I believe that the whole project is screwed. Good luck finding rich casual gamers with 360s who aren't afraid of early adoption. I won't complain if it works, but I'd be surprised.

Yossarian1507

Jan 20, 2010
Personally, I don't believe it. Casual gamers have Wii for less money (yes, I know that Kinect is different, but it's still a casual game gimmick, just like Wii), hardcore gamers will complain about shovelware, and/or crap controls.

I can imagine selling those 2-3 millions by the end of the year, but 5? I don't think so...

Sir Mate

Sep 4, 2009
Yes, they certanly know how to advertise ,and they dont lack the funds to do it.
I wont get a kinect though, its gimmicky and i dont like the idea of waving around like a tard.
(and it sounds weird...Kinect ,brr)

Flamma Man

Jul 23, 2009
I have a feeling that they're going to shot themselves in the foot here, but maybe the casual market will buy it, however I doubt it since they'd already have a Wii.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
It seems Microsoft has made the mistake of underestimating the power of Oprah.
I like how the "e" in Oprah Effect is capitalized as if it's a scientific phenomenon.
Lol....phenomenon.....say that word repeatedly.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Still not sure about this. There's a lot of potential for the device, but all the launch titles look like Wii-remakes. Give us something that takes advantage of the better hardware the 360 has at it's disposal and maybe I'll look into it more.

(This all applies to Move as well).

Midniqht

Beer Quaffer
Jul 10, 2009
I think they have good reason to raise their prediction, as many retailers are already sold out of their first-batch preorders. And I'm one of them

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
5 million is a big number and considering the heavy competition I sort of have doubts on how successful Kinect will be.

But I'll pray that Kinect will be successful or this will be a major blow to Microsoft and the 360.

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Microsoft probably could meet that target. As you mentioned they know how to market. They are planning to take it to more places including Disney and Nickelodeon websites, sponsorships on Glee and Dancing with the Stars and publishing in People Magazine and InStyle and promotional events.

In short theyre going at it with the real-life equivalent of spamvertisement. Its going to be interesting to see if it actually works. And if they even break even over xmas.

If it doesnt work ill be laughing at them.
If it does work, i dont know.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
Saw some people in Game (A Uk gaming store) and they were using Kinect, i have to say it flows really well, one was even wearing black and it was working fine.

Personally i can't wait to see this

Ironic Pirate

May 21, 2009
Xzi said:
Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again.

Thanks for ruining gaming forever, consoles. Hope everybody likes shovelware.
Do you have any idea how much shovel-ware exists for PC? Seriously?

Anyway, I hope it doesn't do this well, but remember people, if it flops then there's a chance a large part of the gaming industry could come crashing down. I mean, probably not, but there's a chance.