Kinect Claims First TV Casualty

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Kinect Claims First TV Casualty

The frenetic action possible when playing with Kinect has damaged its first expensive television.

Phil Villarreal is a writer living in Tucson, Arizona with his two children. At around 1:30am this morning, he was playing Kinect Sports by himself after the kids had likely gone to bed. While playing the volleyball game, Villarreal made a violent overhead motion with his arm to approximate spiking the ball over the net. Unfortunately, Villarreal was playing below a ceiling fan with a pullstring. His violent action dislodged the string from fan, shooting it directly into his new-ish 47-inch LCD TV. Now, the TV has a large multi-colored streak of broken pixels, rendering it worthless. All because Villarreal was playing with Kinect, which he couldn't have had for much more than a day.

Villareal called himself the "first moron to break his TV with Kinect" on his blog and phrased the news as a Public Service Announcement: "Do not under any circumstances play Kinect Sports Volleyball at 1:30 a.m. while standing under a ceiling fan with a dangling chain for a light switch. You could conceivably spike it into your year-old amazing TV, causing it to die with a rainbow LCD teardrop dripping down from the impact wound."

He added: "Plus you'll lose the match by forfeit."

So not only did Villarreal lose his TV, but he automatically lost the game [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_(mind_game)] too. That's just cold.

Source: Because I Told You So [http://becauseitoldyouso.blogspot.com/]

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
one out, god knows how many left

also, he lost the game too!?

that's unforgivable, just... unforgivable

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
The Great JT said:
FIRST BLOOD! That was fast!
Curse you, you beat me to it!
Being a tall person, I tend to avoid rooms with active ceiling fans anyway.

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
..."causing it to die with a rainbow LCD teardrop dripping down from the impact wound."
That was quite poetic I thought.

It was a matter of time, didn't know it would happen so soon, poor guy.

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
you really can't blame kinect for it. But it's nice to hear, that the man was a good sport.

Nevyrmoore

Aug 13, 2009
Well, out of all the accidents I would have expected out of Kinect, I didn't expect this. Still, could have been wait a minute...

Greg Tito said:
...he automatically lost the game too...
Oh goddamn it!

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
When you do this with a Wii or Move it rests in the "that sucks knew it could happen" category. When you do this with a controlerless device... he's never going to live this down at work.

"Hey, Phil, high five" *Everyone else jumps to cover their monitors*

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
People of the world! Microsoft has brought us new innovation in the form of "Moving around!" So Ilet us begin with our ususal debauchary! Wii thought they had made a erfet remote until it slipped from your hand! How it is connects turn!

Let the accidents... BEGIN!!!