Anime Review: Casshern Sins

Norman Rafferty

Mar 18, 2009
Anime Review: Casshern Sins

Would Mega Man be improved if you recast our hero as an amnesiac villain wandering the empty doom-scape of humanity?s extinction? No, of course not.

Read Full Article

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
Always wanted to see the Anime after I witnessed the unfiltered awesomeness that was the film which rests as one of my favourites. I think I'll just stick with that for now.

Silk_Sk

Mar 25, 2009
Being completely ignorant of the original series, I actually did enjoy this show. It was very well animated and I will disagree completely that the fight scenes were uninspired. I suppose I was numb to all the melodrama as well but if that bothers you then I won't blame you.

ninjaman87

Aug 9, 2010
I sadly admit I've never watched the original series, so I'm going to be feel out at first but the sad thing is despite my ignorance of the original i feel that i will enjoy this series.
This feel more of a differential gap of generations while there are people who enjoyed the original and can complain the living hell that the new one suck at least they had courage to watched the series.

The closest thing i can remember was the effects that both Beast Wars and the 2003 TMNT series had, both had elements of the original series but they were so different from their original series causing a wide split among fans of the same source.

dickseverywhere

Oct 6, 2010
Hiphophippo said:
If nothing else, the franchise made a pretty slick live action movie.
i was wondering if this and the live action casshern thing were related when i saw the title. watched it on DVD with some mates, it was like 3 hours long (or felt it) and the most confusing thing we'd ever seen.

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
I liked this show, especially the later episodes, but it would have benefited a lot from being about half as long with the same budget and ditching the amnesia aspect entirely (as well as the little girl). The message of the show necessitates that Casshern himself is the least interesting character, so it would probably have been better to keep as a constant element of the story rather than as it's protagonist. Also, the backgrounds are gorgeous.

Zeromaeus

Aug 19, 2009
I personally think Casshern Sins was absolutely brilliant.
The pacing was absolute garbage, at least in that many scenes tended to drag out longer than you wanted them to, but the artwork and the action (and there was action) was worth it. Heck, the twist toward the end is better than advertised too. Oh, and it is VERY moody. I wouldn't say emo as much as simply grim. It is a post-apocalypse scenario after all.

Necromancer1991

Apr 9, 2010
Sp what your saying is they try to go the way of Nolan's Batman and fall down a flight of stairs doing it, FAIL! Now look the only time I've personally seen old character designs combine with new shading effectively is Gundam Unicorn (THANK GOD FOR UNIVERSAL CENTURY)

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
dickseverywhere said:
Hiphophippo said:
i was wondering if this and the live action casshern thing were related when i saw the title. watched it on DVD with some mates, it was like 3 hours long (or felt it) and the most confusing thing we'd ever seen.
Oh sure, it's not very "good" but it sure looks cool.

Cousin_IT

Feb 6, 2008
Hiphophippo said:
dickseverywhere said:
Hiphophippo said:
I bought the DVD coz Casshern's suit on the front cover makes him look like a robotic duck. Was about as good as it got.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Cousin_IT said:
Hiphophippo said:
dickseverywhere said:
Hiphophippo said:
I bought the DVD coz Casshern's suit on the front cover makes him look like a robotic duck. Was about as good as it got.
To this day the cinematography blows me away. It's probably intending to look like manga, but I've always thought it looked like someone animated a graphic novel.

arealperson

Oct 1, 2009
I haven't watched the original Casshern, but going from the reviewer's tone, I'm starting to become more glad that I hadn't.  There are several things that make this a good anime, but it's certainly fair to say that it won't be to everyone's taste.

The most important and extremely gratifying (if you can get behind artistic vision rather than a pure pleasurable aspect) aspect of this anime is it's mood.  It's subdued, it's dark, it's depressing -- and best of all -- there's nothing fake about it.  A good descriptor word for the anime as a whole would be "uncompromising".  An anime that is far too short in supply these days if you ask me (perhaps I haven't been around enough though...).  It doesn't play out to a pure action perspective and I think in a lot of ways it's better for it.  There's no (or few) whiz-bang explosions to sully the meaning and goals behind the anime which unravel themselves to the viewer as the fight scenes become repetitive.  They're not repetitive in that, "Oh, I guess the animators ran out of money," or, "imagination," way, they're clearly trying to depict the fights as being apart from where meaning is to be found.

I can understand the complaints about the animation quality and the length, but really, I think those worked for the tone incredibly well.  There are many speechless, quiet, still moments which work towards a goal of asking you to ponder, "What's the meaning of life?", "Why are we here?", "Is this hope worth fighting for?", and "Can we just be satisfied with the here and now?". These points are exemplified with the little girl, whose innocence goes to show that you can be satisfied and yet at the same time (with her showing signs of rust) that hope is worth fighting for.  This is without even getting into the more depressing elements of death and unabating guilt.

There a couple of minuses for those who are interested in a thoughtful anime, which may not distract from the vision, but generally will be unsatisfying.  While there is a fair amount of narrative (though often subtle) there is not a lot of dialogue and the brooding may get to you.  Melodrama does exist, and depending on your immersion, rightfully or wrongfully so.  There was some repetition in artwork, but I think if DragonBall (if you're insulting it, that's a big no-no from where I'm coming from) can work with it, a moody apocalyptic(late apocalypse rather than post in this case) anime like this laps it up.

Watching Mobile Suit Gundam(79',85',86') right now, I can say I'm sick and tired of retro-anime and am dying to see another like this.  It's just ironic considering the source... guess it's tough to be a fanboy :/

Edit: Typo and language clean-up.  Also a shout-out to twaddle: thanks for the word-up, I appreciated your insight and you threw in a couple points I was thinking of amending to mine, especially about the series length.

P.S. Sorry if the last line in my original post sounds a bit snippy, I was just reflecting on my own childhood series' like 80's TMNT and Sonic Sat AM.  Really think this anime deserved more of a chance (and a second page's worth of review).

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
arealperson said:
Ok i see where your coming from but you are looking at the series in the wrong way. Your looking at cassher sins as if it were purely an action anime. Truthfully it's more of a drama with bits of action in it. What Casshern Sins ask is that you look at the characters from a psychological perspective. It's kind of a re-examination of the question "If you had only (blank time) to live how would you spend it?"

It doesn't take much to under stand where each character is coming from and the occasional battle tends to spice up the story. The series ins not too long and....

wait. i was just ninja'd by that guy
-_-'

The point is though is thati if u need a break from the all bad writtin action and Super overly dramatic shoujo, Casshern Sins is a good rent.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Ill still probably watch this series.
Iv gotten mixed opinions but the majority of them have been positive.
Plus iv gotten addicted to many of the Tatsunoko Characters after i got TvC.

Plus if it really is as bad as you say it is, then trust me, iv sat through worse

Nocta-Aeterna

Aug 3, 2009
I remember watching this a few years back. At first, the concept of otherwise "immortal" robots confronted with mortality was interesting enough to keep me in, but the protagonist's incessant wangsting about the "Ruin" eventually drove me off.

gphjr14

Aug 20, 2010
Fight scenes were nice but I don't really care for shows that rely on flashbacks to make up the story (movies are OK bc they're shorter) the slow pacing eventually made me lose interest.