Japanese Pop Stars Accused of Racism

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Japanese Pop Stars Accused of Racism

Members of Japanese pop group Morning Musume posted pictures of themselves along with comments that many found racially insensitive.

When Japanese popstars post pictures of themselves with "slanty eyes" and joke that they look like a "Korean person," it is bound to stir up cultural animosity and accusations of racism. That's exactly what happened when Reina Tanaka, member of the sixth generation of Japanese girl group Morning Musume, posted pictures of herself and bandmembers Sayumi Michishige and Eri Kamei pulling up the sides of their eyes to appear slanted.

[gallery=44]

Tanaka then asked the question, "Who am I?" on the blog. The response she posted? "A Korean person." Tanaka did write that Korean culture was very big in her country right now and that she and her friends were merely trying to get in on the Korean "boom."

The agency that handles Morning Musume, Zetima, quickly went into damage control-mode and pulled the pics. There is no word as to what the fallout will be from the racial insensitivity, but the agency has been through stuff like this before. In 2008, Zetima issued an apology when another teen idol music group led a children's television show audience in drawing pictures of Adolf Hitler, commemorating him as a "great person." The group called him "Uncle Hitler" and imitated him to the crowd's delight.

It seems like Zetima should teach the members of these teen pop groups a little sensitivity.

Source: Kotaku [http://kotaku.com/5682324/japanese-game-and-music-idol-called-out-for-racism]

WrongSprite

Resident Morrowind Fanboy
Aug 10, 2008
This didn't seem too bad until the Hitler bit.

Christ on a bicycle, what were they thinking, getting the kids to worship Hitler? Surely nobody thinks that could ever turn out well.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
The Hitler thing? I dunno about that, but the Japanese's view of Koreans is kinda like American's view of people from Mexico and South America.
I'm suprised there's been that much backlash from this. I suppose this IS the West's view on the matter, though.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
Fucking racists...how typical of those rice eating, big glasses wearing, yellow skinned, kamikaze enthusiastic japs. (yes, racism intended to make a point)
See, I'm not a racist; I treat everybody equally (like crap). But I gotta say, that hitler bit was just too damn weird...

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Do Koreans normally have more slanted eyes then the Japanese?

Were they attempting to belittle Koreans this way, or just doing a wink-wink reference?

The latter?

THEN IT'S NOT RACISM!!!

MagicMouse

Dec 31, 2009
People look different. If Koreans have slanty eyes then so be it. If someone imitates them by making their eyes slanty then who cares. If they had said "I'm an ugly Korean because my eyes are slanted." then yes, get all offended, but until then kindly stfu.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
WrongSprite said:
This didn't seem too bad until the Hitler bit.

Christ on a bicycle, what were they thinking, getting the kids to worship Hitler? Surely nobody thinks that could ever turn out well.
haha, basically took the words out of my fingertips.

like, seriously, Uncle Hitler?

Wow.

Shihoudani

Oct 3, 2009
I really don't see how this is racism what so ever? So what if Koreans have slanty eyes? It's obvious that they weren't trying to be hurtful about it, when they were actually just trying to get on board with the korean fad that's going over Japan. People seriously need to drop off the racism / race baiting / racism card and let it die, quietly.

As for the Hitler thing... am I the only one who chuckled at this? I can't really imagine anyone doing that, so the first thing that came to mind was "Oh you crazy Japanese..!" :p

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
Uncle Hitler? Seriously? All the other crap is just trivial compared to that last bit.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I'm trying to be as non-racially-insensitive as I can when I say this, but I guess I don't get why a Japanese woman slanting her eyes looks like a Korean? Then again, I tend to have trouble telling different Asian races apart, but that's mainly a fault of my own.

Still, Uncle Hitler? How could they have thought that would go over well?

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
Actually... There's alot right with hitler (besides the elephant in the room). I mean, if he hadnt tried to eliminate the Jews and wage war on all of Europe, whihc he had to since his country was going to be destroyed financially, and he was a great leader. He was a great everything you need to be a politician, and had alot of potential. Its like Zedong and Stalin. if they hadnt gone for a Genocide, they would have been somewhat decent leaders.

besides, Japan was with them in the war, so it kinda makes sense. and I'm sure its not she said We should respect hitler for his extermination of a people.

I dont know, i just dont like when people get the bum rap because they do something like this.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
Yesterday i would have said: "Show me one person that thought all of his/her life that hasn't done the joke of stretching the eyes to look like a "Chinese" and I will show you an asian"

Today i stand corrected, Asians can do it too.

sanguinator

Aug 23, 2010
Timbydude said:
I'm trying to be as non-racially-insensitive as I can when I say this, but I guess I don't get why a Japanese woman slanting her eyes looks like a Korean? Then again, I tend to have trouble telling different Asian races apart, but that's mainly a fault of my own.

Still, Uncle Hitler? How could they have thought that would go over well?
i feel bad for saying this but i didnt really know that there was any difference in the different asian races.