Nintendo Claims Developer Interest in 3DS Outstrips the Original DS

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Nintendo Claims Developer Interest in 3DS Outstrips the Original DS

Developers have been very proactive in coming up with ideas for the 3DS, says Nintendo boss Satoru Iwata.

The 3DS can do pretty much everything the original DS could do, plus quite a bit more besides, and it would seem that publishers and developers are very excited about what they can do with the device. According to Iwata, interest in the 3DS exceeds the levels it hit leading up to the launch of the original DS in 2004.

Iwata said that whenever he travelled overseas, he would check in with the Nintendo subsidiaries to see what kind of conversations they were having with local publishers and developers about the 3DS. He found that everywhere he went, there was a lot of excitement about it, and people had a lot of ideas about how they could use the hardware.

He also thought there was a lot of interest from Hollywood, saying that studios might want to use the 3DS as a 3D movie player, and reiterated [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104191-3DS-Will-Be-First-3D-Device-to-Sell-Big-Says-Nintendo] the point he made last month about the 3DS being the first 3D device to penetrate the mass market, way ahead of 3D capable TVs.

Of course, this interest might have something to do with the incredibly strong sales of the 3DS's predecessor. With more than 100 million DS units sold - albeit across multiple hardware iterations - it's an potential audience that's difficult to ignore, especially when the 3DS has a killer selling point like glasses free 3D.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=274218]

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
as long as nintendo can keep too much shovel ware from showing up, devs should have no trouble finding publishes to support the 3ds

also, hurry up and set a damn release and price in the states nintendo, I wanna preorder this damn thing

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
Dear Nintendo, please hurry and get the 3DS over here. I need anew Resident Evil that I can play on the go!

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
I'll wait for a price drop. $300 (supposedly) is WAY too much for this. Yeah, it's 3D, but it's experimental at this point. Not something I'm willing to buy on the first day, especially if it's that price. If it's not, I might consider it.

Vie

Nov 18, 2009
Might not this have more to do with the fact Nintendo now has a higher profile, in that more people buy their rather than more gamers, and is thus a larger potential market?

Back when the DS came out it was just another handheld games console, now everybody and their mother has one. Its a much bigger market and thus has the potential to be much more profitable than the original one. That's why the devs are interested, not because its some kind of Jesus Console.

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
The original DS was pretty much another iteration of the Gameboy, so the developer interest would have been the usual "Oh look, more power to play with". This time however theres an actual new technology at play so of course this is going to get developers tingly in their nether regions. This can only be a good thing of course, but lets just hope we dont see a wave of failed concepts shoveled out onto it like Worgen's said.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
I hope this is true.
More Games, and a larger variate of Games is always a good thing.

Mr. Fister

Jun 21, 2008
Makes sense that every developer and their dog would be interested in the 3DS. The DS has been shown to "PRINT MONEY" if you use it right, so investors would be very doubtful of a company's business policy if they showed no interest in the 3DS.

Now let's just hope the same thing happens for Nintendo's next system.

VondeVon

Dec 30, 2009
3D movies? On a screen that size?

I have to admit I'm pretty underwhelmed at this point. (Dons naysayer shirt)

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
Well duh, of course they're interested. It's basically a DS with shinier graphics and OMG3DWTFBBQ!!. They don't even have to try any more; the public will just eat their shit up regardless of what it is, because its got THREEEEEE DEEEEEEE.

Rect Pola

May 19, 2009
I already knew that the moment I saw all the stuff they announced and studios working on it at E3. There's nothing more embarrassing than betting on the sure thing and being caught flat-footed.

Does this mean they've learned their lesson?
Are they judging the 3DS purely on its merits and not its predecessor's performance?
Is all this support and interest because the industry finally learned any new platform should be watched closely and given a fair shake because YOU NEVER KNOW?

Of course not, [small]stupid twit[/small].