Rumor: Morgan Freeman Joining Zac Efron for Akira Adaptation

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Rumor: Morgan Freeman Joining Zac Efron for Akira Adaptation

The High School Musical star may not be the only big-name actor eying the live-action adaptation of landmark cyberpunk anime film Akira.

If there is any one anime that people who don't watch anime have heard of, it's Katsuhiro Otomo's 1988 movie Akira. This past weekend, we heard rumors that High School Musical heartthrob Zac Efron was being considered for the leading role [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105067-Rumor-High-School-Musical-Heartthrob-Offered-Lead-Role-in-Akira-Movie] in Hollywood's live-action adaptation of the dystopian classic.

While attempting to confirm said rumors regarding Efron, Bloody Disgusting [http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/22341] learned of whispers about another interesting casting choice for the movie: Academy Award winner Morgan Freeman is said to be interested in the role of the Colonel.

The Colonel is the badass soldier who is the head of the secret military project running experiments on human psychic powers, who is torn between his duty hunting for biker rebel protagonist Kaneda and his increased disillusionment with what the military is doing.

Despite the two looking nothing alike, casting Freeman as the Colonel makes more sense the more I think about it - it's the exact sort of role he's developed a reputation for lately. The Colonel is older and wiser than the rest of the characters, and a morally ambiguous character caught between doing his duty and doing what he thinks is right. An actor like Freeman might be a great pick for a role like that.

It makes more sense than Zac Efron as a tough biker gang leader, anyway. Nothing against the guy - he's actually a pretty decent actor - but nothing about that face strikes me as "tough." Light in an adaptation of Death Note? Sure. Kaneda in Akira? No, not so much.

(G4TV [http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/news/22341])

D0WNT0WN

Sep 28, 2008
Despite Freemans awesomeness I am really not liking the casting choices, Morgan Freeman as a 'badass soldier who is the head of the secret military project' I just dont see it.

And dont get me started on that Zach Effron. What about that guy who played Speed Racer in the 2008 movie, he would fit the role much better, Effron just pisses me off.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
I hope they get such a rag-tag group of actors for this that everyone believes will make NO sense whatsoever on paper but in execution will absolutely blow everyone away. Also it must be rated R. Morgan Freeman is fantastic with no limits on what he can say/do.

Bassman_2

Feb 9, 2009
"If there is any one anime that people who don't watch anime know the name of, it's Katsuhiro Otomo's 1988 movie Akira."

Yeah, just fix that cause it doesn't include me... just lidding

Well whatever anyway maybe he can do such a role. He did do the bad guy in Wanted.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
As much as I love Freeman, this movie sucked the moment they thought it was a good idea. Leave Akira alone.

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
D0WNT0WN said:
Despite Freemans awesomeness I am really not liking the casting choices, Morgan Freeman as a 'badass soldier who is the head of the secret military project' I just dont see it.
Same. Morgan Freeman is an incredible actor but there are some roles he just cannot play (see: Dreamcatcher, Nurse Betty). This, I figure, would be one of those roles.
Mr.Pandah said:
Also it must be rated R.
I'm getting a nagging feeling it won't be. And the film will suck because of it.

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
It's not the casting that's the issue for me. It's the issue that they are even making a live-action Akira movie.

GundamSentinel

The leading man, who else?
Aug 23, 2009
I love Akira, but seeing these actors in these roles makes me sad. Get some people who actually fit the roles or just scrap the project entirely (better idea). Topping the manga or the anime seems pretty improbable at any rate.

Gigaguy64

Special Zero Unit
Apr 22, 2009
Eahhhhh, i cant hear it.

In love Morgan but...i just cant see him as that particular role.

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
Who the fuck watched Akira and thought to themselves "You know who'd be awesome for the lead role here? Zach Fucking Effron". Some people are just stupid.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
zala-taichou said:
I love Akira, but seeing these actors in these roles makes me sad. Get some people who actually fit the roles or just scrap the project entirely (better idea). Topping the manga or the anime seems pretty improbable at any rate.
Well it's Hollywood and I think they are running with the entire "adaption" idea.

Truthfully I don't think it will translate well to live action film making. I don't think even the Japanese cinema (with the atrocities it has inflicted on the world through the years) has even tried to do one. I think that kind of says something given the existance of movies like "Machine Girl" and "Tokyo Gore Police".

G1eet

Mar 25, 2009
MetallicaRulez0 said:
Who the fuck watched Akira and thought to themselves "You know who'd be awesome for the lead role here? Zach Fucking Effron". Some people are just stupid.
Agreed. I rewatched it over the weekend just to make sure I didn't think that.

Hmm. Which reminds me...

<youtube=jafd97yJFOI>

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
John Funk said:
[Zac Efron as] Light in an adaptation of Death Note? Sure. Kaneda in Akira? No, not so much.
Completely agreed. I'd be much more on board with his role in a Death Note movie, since Light is supposed to be a "dreamy heartthrob" sort of character anyway. On that note, I feel like Morgan Freeman could potentially be a really awesome Watari.

But...I just can't see Efron as anyone in Akira. It just...he doesn't fit. He's a good actor, but he just doesn't resemble any of the characters at all.

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Please..... not Zac Efron. I never want to see him again.
Ever.

Why not a good actor? Like that kid from Home Alone or something?
Or the lead singer from MCR? I mean, hes got every woman in the country thinking his a deep, soulful emo! He must be a good actor.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm sorry Freeman, but you're just too old and feeble to play the awesome Colonel

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
AvsJoe said:
D0WNT0WN said:
Same. Morgan Freeman is an incredible actor but there are some roles he just cannot play (see: Dreamcatcher, Nurse Betty). This, I figure, would be one of those roles.
Mr.Pandah said:
Also it must be rated R.
I'm getting a nagging feeling it won't be. And the film will suck because of it.
Don't give up just yet. Oh wait you live in an area where they use PG-13 and such... never mind.

Now it's gone from -1000 on the gayness scale to 0. Some roles aren't for Morgan Freeman.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
While I would say it's not exactly the best of roles, Morgan Freeman as a bad-ass colonel could work. It's that god-damn majestic voice...