Australia Releases Divorce: The Game

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Australia Releases Divorce: The Game

Kids usually play videogames for fun, but Australia wants them to play to understand why their parents got divorced.

If I had to choose one concept I never thought there'd be a videogame based on, it'd be Shaquille O'Neal as a kung-fu fighter [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaq_Fu]. If I had to choose a second, I'd pick divorce, but somehow videogames with both of these basic concepts have been developed, with the latter recently launching in Australia.

The Australian government has created a videogame that is designed to help kids understand and cope with the divorce of their parents. In tandem with a book, the game is said to answer questions that kids might have over the heartbreaking situation.

There's no special pre-order bonus for this one, so don't feel like you have to rush out to the store to pickup a copy. The game is designed for kids under 12 and is available from Australia's Department of Human Services for free.

Human Services Minister Tanya Plibersek says the game "provides an opportunity for parents to sit with children and go through the games and go through the activity book and have the discussions that are naturally prompted by doing these activities." Exactly what kids do in the game wasn't revealed.

Videogames have been proven as a great method to teach kids or get them interested in something, but this divorce game make me feel uncomfortable. Are there actual goals? Is the music depressing? Does it point out that sometimes videogames themselves cause divorce [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101796-Divorce-Lawyers-Use-WoW-FarmVille-Facebook-in-Court]? Someone get their hands on it and let us know, please.

Source: Develop [http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/11/09/3061498.htm]

rekabdarb

Jun 25, 2008
Hey son, mommy and daddy don't like each other anymore... so play this video game

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
The divorce of parents means double all the good presents, not shitty divorce games.

THIS IS MADNESS!

Sennz0r

May 25, 2008
Ok so they won't sell games to adults that have dismemberment in them but they're fine with telling an 11 year old that their parents may have broken up because daddy cheated on mommy?

That's a reason why people get divorced. Not the only one, but I assume since this is supposed to make children understand the why behind the break up they should cover all bases.

...like your dad did, little Timmy.

sir.rutthed

Stormfather take you!
Nov 10, 2009
This is just.... weird. Especially coming from Australia. I like that games are branching out somewhat, but is this really the best way to teach kids about such a painful part of life? Call me old fashioned, but I think this is one thing parents need to just sit down and talk to their kids about rather than letting some form of media raise them.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
Can we just destroy the world and start over? The hypocrisy from of all places Australia is astounding to say the least.

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
Woodsey said:
The divorce of parents means double all the good presents, not shitty divorce games.

THIS IS MADNESS!
Madness? THIS IS AUSTRALIA!
What I said doesn't matter, the words are synonymous anyway.

Best of the 3

Oct 9, 2010
Interesting Fact folks: People (in the UK) get divorced more at around about christmas time. My aunt told me. How does she know? Becaus she is a real estate agent and people look to move out of bigger houses and move into seperate smaller houses at around about christmas time.

She told me that 2 years ago from around about this time. To add to that my parents got divorced about this time about 1 year ago (Fucking happy birthday, merry christmas and happy new year right there). Now I don't know about some people but I would rather forget that this has all happened, I don't want to understand it and most certainly don't want to spend time playing games on it. If my parents got me this when they told me the news I would have probably kidney punched both of them.

Stupid idea.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
Best of the 3 said:
Interesting Fact folks: People (in the UK) get divorced more at around about christmas time. My aunt told me. How does she know? Becaus she is a real estate agent and people look to move out of bigger houses and move into seperate smaller houses at around about christmas time.

She told me that 2 years ago from around about this time. To add to that my parents got divorced about this time about 1 year ago (Fucking happy birthday, merry christmas and happy new year right there). Now I don't know about some people but I would rather forget that this has all happened, I don't want to understand it and most certainly don't want to spend time playing games on it. If my parents got me this when they told me the news I would have probably kidney punched both of them.

Stupid idea.

Personally I think we need to stop making divorces seem so easy with how many people get divorced now days.

Honestly especially if you have a kid, think about your actions first and than move. If you have a kid they should be at the forethought of your mind.

>_>.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Best of the 3 said:

Stupid idea.
That might be at the end of the game...

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
Lightslei said:
Personally I think we need to stop making divorces seem so easy with how many people get divorced now days.

Honestly especially if you have a kid, think about your actions first and than move. If you have a kid they should be at the forethought of your mind.

>_>.
Since logic and good sense govern the actions of human beings.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
So the game erases half your hard drive and only let's you play your games for three hours on the weekend?

Seriously, though, I think this is an issue you should discuss with your children, not put them in front of a computer to figure out.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
God bless my country's shocking divorce rate. As well as its shocking internet filter legislation, its inability to make a fucking decision on an R18+ rating, and may the ACL burn in hell.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
So...what are the achievements/ trophies for this game?

I don't think my question is in poor taste and, I'm sure I'm not the only person who is curious about that.

Lightslei

Feb 18, 2010
manythings said:
Lightslei said:

>_>.
Since logic and good sense govern the actions of human beings.

Meh I can dream for some rebuilding of it, can't I?