Sega Championing Awareness of UK Hedgehog Decline

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Sega Championing Awareness of UK Hedgehog Decline

The company behind the most famous hedgehog in the world wants you to know that Sonic's real-world counterparts in the UK are having a tough time.

I've always wondered why Sega chose to make Sonic the Hedgehog a hedgehog. Hedgehogs aren't blue, they don't wear sneakers, and they aren't known for running particularly fast. While Sonic might not resemble real-life hedgehogs in any way, he's still rather emblematic for the species. Sega has teamed up with the UK's People's Trust for Endangered Species to help make people aware that there are now 300,000 fewer wild hedgehogs in the UK than there were ten years ago.

Intensive farming is destroying hedgehogs' rural habitats, says the Trust, and car accidents claim 50,000 of the spiky little creatures every year. To help promote awareness of the cause (and to help promote awareness of Sonic's upcoming Sonic Colors), Sega created a "hedgehog road crossing" in Twickenham, south-west London, letting the beasts hog the road - if only for a little bit.

Four of the critters were set up in a crosswalk while a crossing guard monitored traffic - and at least one of them was wearing Sonic's red running shoes (so I guess I stand corrected up above). "Our hedgehogs had great fun ruling the roads for the day with the hedgehog crossing," handler Trevor Smith told the Daily Mail [http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1328460/Hedgehog-decline-300-000-fewer-Britain-decade-ago.html]. "[It] will hopefully encourage everyone to do their bit in helping the hedgehogs of Britain stick around for years to come."

Sega's Anna Downing concurred. "Hedgehogs are an intrinsic part of British wildlife and with Sonic the Hedgehog such an institution we thought he was the perfect figure to raise awareness of their plight."

Marketing ploy? Perhaps. Good cause? Depends on how you feel about hedgehogs. Personally, I'm for 'em. So as far as I'm concerned, good on y'all, Sega. Hedgehog decline is a topic with which I'm sure you're familiar, and if we can avoid it, we really ought to try.

Sonic Colors hits shelves in Europe on November 12 (as Sonic Colours) and in North America on November 16 for Wii and DS.

(Via VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/10/sega-helps-raise-awareness-of-hedgehog-decline-in-uk/])

Dec 14, 2009
It's a damn shame. There were hedgehogs everywhere when I was a kid. Amazing what a difference 15 years can make.

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
For a moment then I thought this campaign about decline was for Sonic... because... you know, it's Sonic after all.

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
If SEGA really cared about hedgehog decline, they'd stop pumping out bad Sonic game after bad Sonic game.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
While I'm all for a bit of good Hedgehog lovin', I can imagine that a lot of people trying to get to and from work or wherever in a hurry would fail to see the humour it all, and go mental seeing their routes obstructed by not-quite-but-awfully-close-to-being-roadkill.

And that hedgehog in the picture is keeeeeee-ute!!

lee1287

Apr 7, 2009
Remember when i found a sonic entangled in my garden goal post net, i helped him out and gave him Love and attention, then set him free into the woods, I wonder if he still thinks of me...:'(

DarkenedWolfEye

Jan 4, 2010
I'm sorry, but ... HA HA HA HA! AH HAHAHAHA!!! I can't breathe ... this is fucking hilarious! I don't know what it is, but I can't stop laughing at the utter absurdity. Sega. Is promoting. Awareness. For hedgehog decline.
HA HA HA!

Cat Cloud

Aug 12, 2010
This is awesome. Videogames, hedgehogs, and awareness of endangered species. Together at last.

Darkstar370

Nov 5, 2009
mjc0961 said:
If SEGA really cared about hedgehog decline, they'd stop pumping out bad Sonic game after bad Sonic game.
IGN gave Sonic Colors a score of 8.5 and an Editor's Choice Award, calling it "the best Sonic game in 18 years".

Rack

Jan 18, 2008
Ouch. The irony here is a bit thick for me. Given their behaviour in the last 15 years I thought Sega were in favour of the slow decline of hedgehogs.