Swearing on Television Up 69%

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Swearing on Television Up 69%

The Parent's Television Council has not only published findings that swearing on television has risen by 69%, but has provided us with a handy list of their worst offenders.

During the first two weeks of this television season, The Parent's Television Council [http://www.parentstv.org/] sat down and noted every swear word that aired during prime time on the five major television networks (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, and the CW). It's safe to say that they weren't happy with their findings, and not only because they constituted a naughty number. The PTC report concludes that "across all networks use of profanity on prime-time broadcast entertainment programming increased 69.3% from 2005 to 2010...The largest increases were found in the use of the harshest profanities, and in explicit references to genitalia and bodily functions."

It appears that the PTC wasn't convinced that the American public would know to which words they referred in that last bit, so it included their findings in graph form. The swear word on television that has grown most in popularity over the last five years was "bleeped fuck" (an increase of 2,409%), followed closely by "bleeped shit" (which increased 764%). In contrast, old reliables "damn" and "bastard" experienced negative growth. It's also interesting to note that the PTC does not seem to regard slurs based upon race, sexuality, etc., as profane: Apparently it's not okay for children to exclaim, "That sucks!" but perfectly legitimate for them to deride something by saying "That's so gay."

Click here [http://www.parentstv.org/PTC/publications/reports/2010ProfanityStudy/study.pdf] for the full report; scroll all the way down for the graphs.

Source: PTC [http://gawker.com/5686164/what-are-the-most-popular-swear-words-on-tv]

Traun

Jan 31, 2009
And then they blame Video Games, seriously get your act together before blaming ANOTHER industry while you can't even control your own.

rileyrulesu

Jun 15, 2009
heh... 69....
but seriously, i have started not really even noticing it it has become so often.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
69? Is this a joke?

Good for television if its true.

Who really gives a shit other than these tools at the PTC?

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
69. Hehehe. 69. Get it? Nevermind.

This PTC seems like a crazy thing made of people that hate everything that wasn't common in nineteen century. They are very well organized - for a bunch of raging retards.

EDIT:

Double ninja'd with 69 :D

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
That is a skewed study then if "that's so gay" is allowed but not "up yours gerbil fucker".

Also 100% of this 69% can be traced back to video games as video games have used those words in the past, there must be a link.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Heh, luckily we don't have to listen to such a whiney organisation over here in the United Kingdom.
Nah, we just have the government (Read: Tories/Conservatives) for that.
We have set rules for the standard channels, BBC 1, BBC 2, ITV, Channel 4, and Channel 5 (I believe, I don't actually watch the TV >.>), so no swearing before 9pm.
Of course, I don't believe that applies to other channels you pay for with a TV service, like Sky.

Polock

Jan 23, 2010
Traun said:
And then they blame Video Games, seriously get your act together before blaming ANOTHER industry while you can't even control your own.
Ha ha true true.

Oy vey. Times change. Kids are seeing more and more everyday, and to think we can prevent them from seeing some of the rougher parts of the real world is foolish. It is down to good parenting and EDUCATION (and proper, TRUE education) on subject matters that may be offensive, in order to protect ones child from being harmed.

Jun 26, 2009
Traun said:
That haven't have they? Or did I miss something...?
OT: What are swears gonna do to harm kids? Is there a link between swearing and violence?

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
What the fuck is up with being allowed to use 'gay' as an insult?! Seriously, get your shit together guys.

Har har har har har har har har 69.

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
hahahhaha 69 percent!

so there are more references to pooping. I don't see the problem I use to babysit kids, they always say things like poop and fart. it;s no big deal.
also since when did boobs become profane? I also like how they have listed other breasts what other kind are there?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Ahh, PTC. Is there anything you can say without making me and most other people hate you?
At least the words that are upped are bleeped, not like most of the little snots they're trying to "protect" haven't heard or said those words already.

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
These people are parasites, cranky old parasites who would be glad if they could run a "Demolition Man" state of government where only lullabies are the only music that can be put on the radio and nobody has any idea what sex is. Then to add insult to injuries, these same Evangelical Christians (who give the rest of us Catholics and Christians a bad name) don't mind if gay jokes are uttered (PTC has frequently been accused of homophobia, which they of course deny). My only joy is the fact these assholes are so damn old that in less than a decade there will barely be anyone to support these dipshits.

P.s: Tried to litter my comment with as much profanity as possible Escapist, mostly being ironic rather than just acting immature. Okay, so maybe it's a lil bit immature, but no one can deny the fun factor is swearing every now and again. Someone should try telling that to these morons

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
And this council is also run by people who have starred in profane movies, so hypocrisy much?

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
Traun said:
Damn you good sir! You stole my words!
But in all seriousness, they should not pass judgement with taking in different perspectives of the subject or acquiring evidence from both sides of the arguement.

And BTW, how about they try playing a game for once? Maybe Shadow of The Colossus?