Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Demo Downloaded 2 Million Times

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit Demo Downloaded 2 Million Times

The demo for EA's Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit has had a strong reception since it debuted two weeks ago.

The latest Need for Speed had a great reception at this year's E3, garnering a lot of positive buzz and a bunch of awards for Best Racing Game of the convention. Since the demo was available for download on October 26th, EA reports that it has been downloaded 2 million times, making it the best performing demo since the series began in 1994. Such statistics bode well for a successful launch when Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit comes out November 16th in the U.S. and the 19th in the U.K. on Xbox 360, PS3 and the PC.

NFS:HP introduces a lot of innovative features, including Autolog which allows you to connect easily with your friends for races and compare progress and Speed Wall where you can post your highest speeds to compare with the public. EA announced a bunch of interesting stats that it has compiled from the demo so far:

More than 700,000 posts to the Speed Wall
More than 5M Autolog Recommendations played between friends
54M miles of road raced
20M cop busts executed

The success of NFS:HP can only be problematic for the oft-delayed Gran Turismo 5. While NFS is definitely a lot more "arcadey" than the more strict simulation of Gran Turismo, I'm not sure how many racing fans will be purchasing two titles this season. Will Sony finally try to get GT5 out the door in time to compete with NFS on the PS3?

tk1989

May 20, 2008
I only downloaded it because I had fond memories of the previous NFS: Hot Pursuit game released in 2002. In spite of my sense of nostalgia i was slightly disappointed. Wasn't bad or anything, just not my cup of tea

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
Game looked fun which is more then I can say about GT5. Granted simulators aren't aimed at me.

Oh well, I'm sure both games will make boat loads of money. Maybe even boats made out of money.

Zetona

Dec 20, 2008
I enjoyed it, except that I never figured out how to add friends on Autolog, so I could only play one of the races.

JimbobDa3rd

Sep 21, 2008
Ahhhhhh, I have very fond memories of NFS III: hot pursuit. first and only racing game I ever really enjoyed beyond a couple of hours of play... This could only be a disapointment

Hayate_GT

Mar 6, 2010
i am soooooooo getting this game...1 because i love racing games and need4speed in particular and also because i'll need something to break the monotony of killing everyone on CoD: Black Ops and Halo Reach...

Skorpyo

Average Person Extraordinaire!
May 2, 2010
Is... Is that a Veyron Police Car?

I'm buying this game. I'm buying it HARD.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Just prepurchased it yesterday, hopefully it will be here by my birthday :D