Hacker Releases Open Source Driver for Kinect, Wins Money

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Hacker Releases Open Source Driver for Kinect, Wins Money

A hacker has released drivers that will allow you to communicate and control the Kinect device.

The hacker and electronics DIY crowd has been really excited about the possibilities that the technology behind Microsoft's Kinect might allow. Adafruit Industries offered a huge $3000 prize to the first person who was able to output both RGB video and depth information and to upload all of the software and documentation to GitHub. On Sunday, his work to GitHub here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105086-Kinect-Hacked-Money-Won] and was judged to be the winner of $3,000 awarded by Adafruit. He has decided to invest his winnings into hacking tools and devices for him and his small group of buddies.

AlexP also believes that Hector's hack works better that his and he will also donate all of the money he raised to help fund Hector's further pursuits. "We have learned that ChipIn is not a good solution for such efforts and saw progress by other contenders," AlexP wrote today [http://nuigroup.com/forums/viewthread/11154/]. "We have have raised a total of $457, which we will now be donating all of it to Hector/his projects for his success."

Hector's code was the first to be tested and proved to work by other hackers. "We have verified that it works and have a screenshot from another member in the hacking community (thanks qdot!) who was also able to use the code," company founder Limor Fried wrote on the Adafruit website. "Congrats to Hector! He's running all this on a Linux laptop (his code works with OpenGL) and doesn't even have an Xbox!"

Microsoft has frowned upon any and all hacking of their proprietary technology. "Microsoft will continue to make advances in these types of safeguards and work closely with law enforcement and product safety groups to keep Kinect tamper-resistant," a Microsoft rep told CNET [http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-20021836-52.html].

Because of that stance, Adafruit Industries is also donating $2,000 to the Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF), which will be the first and only line of defense for hackers if Microsoft comes down on them. "[The EFF] defend our digital rights, our right to hack, reverse engineer and do things like this project," wrote Fried. If Microsoft attempted legal action, Fried said that "the EFF would likely be our only hope (yours too). If you'd like to make sure we can all continue to hack, tinker and mod please consider donating to the EFF as well."

The entire process has been one of hacker communities working and competing to solve a problem. It would be a shame if Microsoft felt the need to attack these talented men and women. I can't wait to see the kinds of things they can make work with this (now) open technology.

Source: Adafruit website [http://www.adafruit.com/blog/2010/11/10/we-have-a-winner-open-kinect-drivers-released-winner-will-use-3k-for-more-hacking-plus-an-additional-2k-goes-to-the-eff/]

Feb 13, 2008
Dear god, there's gonna be a war over this. Microsoft allowing others to program for their baby? They won't even allow Valve or the BBC to do that.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Wait, I thought the prize was $2000? Still, enterprising coder deserves music to enterprise to. (Excuse the poor-ish quality, best Meet The Sniper video with reduced voice I could find)

Linux and OpenGL too. Two in the eye for Microsoft.

Amalith

Mar 29, 2009
I guess there's now at least one small reason to buy a kinect. Microsoft should be happy enough that the device now actually has potential.

Chewster

It's yer man Chewy here!
Apr 24, 2008
I always enjoy when propositions are put out to hackers, they are usually completed rather quickly.

Proponents of DRM, take note. Never underestimate the human drive to tinker and the lack of stuff to do people on the Internet might have.

dochmbi

Sep 15, 2008
Why would Microsoft care if people modify their Kinects to work on the PC, they make a profit on every Kinect sold, why would it matter what platform it is used with?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
dochmbi said:
Why would Microsoft care if people modify their Kinects to work on the PC, they make a profit on every Kinect sold, why would it matter what platform it is used with?
Software sales. By creating a way for anyone with any know-how to program for this thing, unlicensed software can then be created, taking licensing profits away from MS. In a sense, it's kind of the same principle as an emulator. Also, god forbid this winds up on Linux or Mac :p

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
AlexP wrote the driver I use to hook my Playstation Eye up to my laptop for use as a very high quality camera/microphone duo, including the nice stereo mic functions and multiple synch filters, which is basically everything Sony uses on the camera for itself. I don't recall Sony ever once threatening him with anything. To this day, AFAIK, the AlexP driver is what you use for PSEye on anything that isn't a PS2/3.

If MS does go after this stuff, they are just stupidly limiting potential goodwill. Unfortunately, "stupidly limiting potential goodwill" is something that often counts as a marketable skill among the Redmond crowd.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Icehearted said:
dochmbi said:
Software sales. By creating a way for anyone with any know-how to program for this thing, unlicensed software can then be created, taking licensing profits away from MS. In a sense, it's kind of the same principle as an emulator. Also, god forbid this winds up on Linux or Mac :p
It was demonstrated on a linux laptop, read the article. So now what?

Low Key

May 7, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Icehearted said:
dochmbi said:
Famine, pestilence, brimstone, etc. etc.

You know, the usual.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
SaintWaldo said:
Icehearted said:
dochmbi said:
lolreadingfail :/

I guess that means it's on. I anticipate a great deal of bawling, some hissy fits, lawyers milking MS rage with dead end attempts at lawsuits... the usual. Should be entertaining for the first week or so, then we'll all have moved on because a mic and some cameras are hardly going to revolutionize anything.

Wouldn't it be grand if people started a homebrew movement that actually made this thing more desirable than creepy animals and a dancing game ever could?

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Well THAT didn't take long!

I'm in full support of the EFF. People should not be forced to remain ignorant of the workings of technology for the sole purpose of consumerism. So long as people don't try to sell an unathorized version of the device, merely taking something they purchased apart to see how it works and tweak it for their own purposes, there's nothing criminal taking place.

I mean, you can modify anything else you buy such as cars, tools, weapons, computer hardware, etc (which voids the warranty), so software and console accessories should be no different.

9of9

Feb 14, 2008
The main problem will be in the software, it's no mean feat to develop robust and fast recognition software like the Kinect guys did, that works with people who sit down, seeing as they were a MS-funded studio working on it over several years. I wish MS would just release developer toolkits for the PC.

I don't see Kinekt as being that useful for PC gaming, but goddammit it would make a fantastic tool for cheap motion capture. Getting decent animations in low budget titles and indie games would be a completely different matter. You just stand up and strike a pose and you're halfway there.

Digikid

Dec 29, 2007
Delusibeta said:
Wait, I thought the prize was $2000? Still, enterprising coder deserves music to enterprise to. (Excuse the poor-ish quality, best Meet The Sniper video with reduced voice I could find)

Linux and OpenGL too. Two in the eye for Microsoft.
It is 2000.00. The article above is mistaken.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
dochmbi said:
Because as it stands Microsoft makes money off the games made for the Kinect. If people can use it on PC for other stuff, then that would be lost money to them. And I just noticed I am number two on this bus so will leave it at that. Darn you, @Icehearted!
Nouw said:
I bet Microsoft will sue and use their ideas for their own.
No, Microsoft will sue and then examine the code so they can do a firmware update to make the Kinect useless to that code. As in you could still use it with the PC, just don't try hooking it up to your 360 again if it is online. Then Microsoft will just continue with their current business plan of just using the Kinect as a toy. Is it just me or has Microsoft been less and less about the PC since Gates retired?
I seem to recall MS went apeshit over Netscape being out there, and then they stomped hard on that browser and effectively made it go away. Now we have Firefox, Google Chrome, and others and Microsoft seems to care less. But anybody tries to hack the XBox oh noes! [/rant]
Dig the avatar...we need those kinds of tactics used in Afghanistan.

Since I am all for seeing the Kinect used for more than just 360 games I applaud this effort wholeheartedly. And I hope Microsoft does sue as the EFF will have to do their darndest to bring a lot of stuff to light. Stuff MS may not want to see the light of day.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
samsonguy920 said:
dochmbi said:
Because as it stands Microsoft makes money off the games made for the Kinect. If people can use it on PC for other stuff, then that would be lost money to them. And I just noticed I am number two on this bus so will leave it at that. Darn you, @Icehearted!
Nouw said:
I bet Microsoft will sue and use their ideas for their own.
No, Microsoft will sue and then examine the code so they can do a firmware update to make the Kinect useless to that code. As in you could still use it with the PC, just don't try hooking it up to your 360 again if it is online. Then Microsoft will just continue with their current business plan of just using the Kinect as a toy. Is it just me or has Microsoft been less and less about the PC since Gates retired?
I seem to recall MS went apeshit over Netscape being out there, and then they stomped hard on that browser and effectively made it go away. Now we have Firefox, Google Chrome, and others and Microsoft seems to care less. But anybody tries to hack the XBox oh noes! [/rant]
Dig the avatar...we need those kinds of tactics used in Afghanistan.

Since I am all for seeing the Kinect used for more than just 360 games I applaud this effort wholeheartedly. And I hope Microsoft does sue as the EFF will have to do their darndest to bring a lot of stuff to light. Stuff MS may not want to see the light of day.
Thanks and good to see your opinion, kinda changed mine too >.>

Akai Shizuku

Jul 24, 2009
More proof that profit motive is a weak paper tiger in the face of the efforts of the common people.