Black Ops Beats MW2 in Launch Day Sales

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Black Ops Beats MW2 in Launch Day Sales

Activision says Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Black-Ops-Xbox-360/dp/B003JVKHEQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289492998&sr=8-1].

Remember back in 2007 when we were all gaga over $170 million [http://www.amazon.com/Halo-3-Xbox-360/dp/B000FRU0NU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289493069&sr=8-1] in the U.S. alone? Isn't that just adorable? It all seems so long ago. The big banana in the fruit basket these days is Call of Duty: Black Ops, which had estimated first-day sales of $360 million on 5.6 million units in North America and the U.K., handily eclipsing the previous mark of $310 million on 4.7 million copies set last year by Modern Warfare 2.

The game is also tracking to beat MW2's five-day global sales record of $550 million, according to Treyarch [http://www.activision.com] has ever made." At the same time, however, he seemed unable to deliver his compliment without a little bit of a backhand, alluding to his apparent belief that who makes a game isn't nearly as important as the name on the box, however, saying, "The game's success underscores the pop culture appeal of the brand."

Sorry, Treyarch. It seems like no matter what you do, you just can't get no respect.

Feb 13, 2008
Sad. Whatever we do to improve the image of gamers is sucked straight back into the box by the majority who want to keep it as gun-toting, all-male, army guys. And handing the King of Schadenfreude their wallets as they go.

Danish rage

Sep 26, 2010
Impressive numbers.

And Trayarch really get it´s share of undeserved beatings.

Black Ops is a really nice game.

Bobby go be a used car salesman.

Apr 28, 2008
Wasn't Halo 3 released on one console, while this and MW2 were released on 3? Not surprising that they broke it.

cobrausn

Dec 10, 2008
Yeah, Halo was xbox only. Black Ops was multiplatform. Compare xbox only sales before claiming 'bigger than halo'.

Electrogecko

Apr 15, 2010
Great.....just great.
When they release another one next year, will people flock to it once more?
When is everybody gonna wake the fuck up?

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
And deserved, I would say. If anything Black Ops has fixed several issues MW2 made with the multiplayer, for which they should be commended for.

Electrogecko said:
Great.....just great.
Yes, when will everyone wake up and accept that what you think is right? What a bunch of bad, bad people.

GoGo_Boy

May 12, 2010
I wish RTS titles would sell this high.

Developers can't go saver than producing a shooter.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Well this was a bit unexpected since there were rumours of lower sales than MW2. It seems the advertising bucks paid off.

I bought MW2 on launch last year, and was disappointed after a couple of days once I had finished the campaign, and found no more use for it. I've held off on Black Ops, but it won't get any cheaper. MW2 still sells for almost full price over a year since release. Maybe a rental.

When can we expect the Escapist review? Your review of the original CoD 4 is what got be to buy the game. All the way back in 2007... It's been so long.

DominicxD

Dec 28, 2009
SO what's happened there is millions of people have gone out to entusiastically que up to willingly hand over money for a mediocore game which essentially they already own?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im so annoyed that these games keep making money, it just lends credence to koticks insanity and wanting to crap out yearly titles for everything

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Halo is an exclusive, CoD is across the 3 major platforms.

Anyway, /facepalm

If people keep buying it, they will keep selling it, no matter how much bitching you do in between.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Josh Olin, if I were you, I would look closely at that royalties.

Just in case you and some other guy get inexplicably fired and your royalties split.

Just saying.

Not that that happened before.

Celtic_Kerr

May 21, 2010
Sparrow said:
And deserved, I would say. If anything Black Ops has fixed several issues MW2 made with the multiplayer, for which they should be commended for.

Electrogecko said:
Great.....just great.
Yes, when will everyone wake up and accept that what you think is right? What a bunch of bad, bad people.
Commended indeed, but I think someone needs to bend Bobby Kotick over a knee and give him a good paddling with a spatula...

1) VAST entertainment value at the humiliation
2) He deserves it for being such a childish little *****
3) ... Have I mentioned the entertainment value?

It would sell better than Black Ops in five minutes if we put it on DVD

FallenTraveler

Jun 11, 2010
I hate that I am voluntarily not buying activision games anymore... because I really want to play black ops

by the way, does anyone else think it's really funny that cuba got all pissed because they made an assassination mission that FAILED

whatever... guess I will have to borrow a friends copy

Neofishie

Sep 23, 2010
Console FPS's get no love on the Escapist, or at least, very little.

Shame, in my opinion.

Powering along Vietnam swift boat blowing up VC while the Rolling Stones pump out "Sympathy for the Devil" was one of the most entertaining things I've ever done in a game.

Oh, and Spas-12 with incendiary rounds is pretty high up there too.

Syphous

Apr 6, 2009
Freebird. said:
Electrogecko said:
Great.....just great.
DominicxD said:
SO what's happened there is millions of people have gone out to entusiastically que up to willingly hand over money for a mediocore game which essentially they already own?
Oh god, I wish people like you would shut the hell up. Not everyone likes what you like, so grow up and learn the definition of the word opinion. Games don't sell this much by being "mediocre." Get off your stupid I hate everything popular bandwagon.

On topic, I'm rather surprised. I thought Black Ops would be slightly lower, due to not being a Modern Warfare title. Still, good for Treyarch.
Thank you sir, now I don't have to type those words myself.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
Celtic_Kerr said:
Sparrow said:

Electrogecko said:
Great.....just great.
Commended indeed, but I think someone needs to bend Bobby Kotick over a knee and give him a good paddling with a spatula...

1) VAST entertainment value at the humiliation
2) He deserves it for being such a childish little *****
3) ... Have I mentioned the entertainment value?

It would sell better than Black Ops in five minutes if we put it on DVD
Can i get a copy of that DVD??

OT: I'm not surprised at all