Playing Tetris Reduces Traumatic Flashbacks

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Playing Tetris Reduces Traumatic Flashbacks

In a follow-up to a previous study, Tetris has been specifically proven to reduce mental flashbacks of unsettling events.

Oxford University researchers recently performed a follow-up on the results of a previous study that indicated Tetris could be a tool in helping the traumatized. The new study compared Tetris to another game, but Tetris came out on top as a trauma reducer. Tetris and other visual games are evidently a way to reduce the reappearance of stressful mental images.

In their latest set of experiments, the researchers exposed a group of healthy volunteers to distressing images of human injury, including one of those "horrors of drunk driving" films that kids or DUI offenders are sometimes forced to watch. For the first test, 30 minutes after seeing the images 20 volunteers played Tetris for 10 minutes, 20 more played a word-quiz game called Pub Quiz Machine 2008, and another 20 did nothing. The results of this test found that the Tetris players had a reduced number of flashbacks to the traumatic imagery, while the Pub Quiz players actually experienced significantly more than those that did nothing.

For a second test, the researchers had their subjects wait four hours and perform the same actions. Once again, those lucky enough to play Tetris had significantly fewer flashbacks than those in the other two groups.

Dr Emily Holmes of Oxford University's Department of Psychiatry says that these results indicate that playing Tetris can reduce trauma if it's played within a four hour window. It also means that only specific types of games have this ability, as Pub Quiz was shown to increase flashbacks.

Why does the brain work this way, you might ask? The Oxford team believes it relates to the two channels of the mind: sensory and conceptual. The conceptual mind interprets what the sensory sees or hears in the real world. During trauma, the conceptual and sensory aspects become unbalanced, causing the perception of specific events, like a crashing noise or an image, to "flash" in one's mind rather than he/she remembering the full experience.

Apparently, due to the limits of each channel, playing Tetris can interfere with the brain shortly after a traumatic event, overriding the event's images. Pub Quiz wasn't able to reduce the images because it's not as visual as rotating shapes of different colors and sizes as you do in Tetris. The application of research such as this is still a "long way off" according to Holmes, because it's not very realistic to give soldiers Nintendo DS systems to play directly after trauma, but it still provides potential for the treatment of Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and other mental ailments.

Thanks for the tip Lukeje [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Lukeje ]!

Source: Oxford University [http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_stories/2010/101111.html]

khaimera

Perfect Strangers
Jun 23, 2009
I bet that if this study was done with people who actually EXPERIENCED trauma, there would be no results at all. Fun study, but the applicability is pretty much nonexistent. Basically, the study proves that distraction works in the short term. We knew that already.

SimuLord

Whom Gods Annoy
Aug 20, 2008
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless L-Block? Junk science. And you have to play it within four hours of the trauma for it to work, like some sort of emotional morning-after pill?

In the words of Three Dog, "Christ. Talk about your slow news days."

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
SimuLord said:
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless L-Block? Junk science. And you have to play it within four hours of the trauma for it to work, like some sort of emotional morning-after pill?

In the words of Three Dog, "Christ. Talk about your slow news days."
Correction, this study proves that it works within at least four hours. At least from what I read they don't seem to have tested it with longer breaks.

I wonder if it is just mental images that can be cured with tetris or if it helps after being assaulted as well.

dbmountain

Feb 24, 2010
"OH GOD, I just witnessdd my dog getting run over by a semi! Better whip out some Tetris DS!"

I'll admit though, I do a 200-line marathon on level 20 every day while taking a poop

Peace Frog

May 31, 2008
I'm not surprised by news like this.
Tetris replaces all normal thoughts with ones of Tetris.

Michael O'Hair

Jul 29, 2010
Dr Emily Holmes of Oxford University's Department of Psychiatry says that these results indicate that playing Tetris can reduce trauma if it's played within a four hour window.
This prognosis is similar to the methods people use to subvert feelings of inadequacy when rejected by the object of their romantic interest. I believe it is known in common vernacular as "playing with oneself." It has proven effective with the same four hour post-trauma timeframe.

martyrdrebel27

Feb 16, 2009
i've heard that tetris is actually a mind control device developed by the russians. and this is just further proof. if you don't think tetris can alter your mind, play it for a few hours straight before you pack boxes to move, or pack those boxes into a moving truck, or even before cleaning your room and/or house.

soon, everything becomes a Freudian effort to get everything to fit into properly shaped holes and face up nicely.