GameStop Selling PlayStation DLC in Stores

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
GameStop Selling PlayStation DLC in Stores

For the first time, GameStop will offer digital content for sale at its brick and mortar retail stores.

In a strangely ironic twist to the relationship between digital and physical game media, GameStop will soon allow you to trade in games to buy digital DLC. In fact, you can use any form of payment including gift cards, cash and credit to purchase digital content. The program planned right now is only limited to DLC available on the PlayStation Network for your PS3, but the service is planned to extend to Xbox Live as well. According to GameStop's announcement, you'll be able to purchase digital content in any of its 4,400 stores in the next couple weeks.

"As part of our digital strategy, our goal is to help make extended game play of popular titles discoverable for our customers," said GameStop President Tony Bartel. "In many cases, customers aren't even aware of certain add-on content for their favorite video games, and our in-store DLC centers are a great way to discover what's available."

Bartel also explained how this program will be great for last-second stocking-stuffers this Holiday season:

DLC content, which typically costs between $10 and $15, also makes terrific holiday gifts for gamers who enjoy playing titles with available add-on content. To make this work, we partnered very closely with Microsoft and Sony to link our point of sale directly into their systems in order to provide customers with instantaneous access to the DLC they wish to purchase. We anticipate we'll complete the nationwide rollout of Sony DLC within a few short weeks in order to service customers during the busy holiday shopping season.

While it is interesting to have a physical place for gamers to browse content, I'm not sure that doing so in a GameStop is the best idea. I'm also concerned about how this initiative will affect the publisher's bottom line. Previously, the full price of digital content all went to the publisher, but if people can trade-in games and then use those credits to buy DLC or full indie games, how will they be compensated.

Honestly, I think this is a huge can of worms for the videogame industry that I think benefits GameStop and no one else.

Autofaux

Aug 31, 2009
Sooo, people are going to drive, or walk to a GameStop to look at DLC, as opposed to sitting at home, firing up your 360 or PS3, and looking at it there?

/golfclap

GamerLuck

Questionably Opinionated
Jul 13, 2009
I work in a gamestop and we've had little cards and options for both xbox and ps3 dlc for a while now... you can even pre order some of it that isnt out yet.

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
erm, they've been selling DLC in gamestop/game here for ages or am I reading it wrong?

http://www.game.no/acatalog/Borderlands_Double_Game_Add_on_Pack_360_Xbox_360.html

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
I dont' get it.....does gamestop offer the DLC in disc format?

If you just purchase it at gamestop couldn't you just by microsoft points etc and then order the game online at home? If you already have to download the DLC yourself what is gamestop helping with? Is it just the fact you can trade in games and use gamestop credit to purchase the DLC?

If that is the case big deal.

If on the other hand you can actually purchase DLC without having to be online....that is a good thing. I obviously am online (since I'm posting right now) but I know many people who do not have internet access for their game systems. Having DLC available in disc format would be great for them.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
DLC is a cancer that just keeps getting worse and worse.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Well, if Sony and Microsoft have agreed to it, apparently it's not going to be cutting into the revenue enough to prohibit it. And it's not like some companies don't create extra content specifically for Gamestop sales...

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Moonpooman said:
Doesn't this remove the point of DLC?
Yea... DLC was created so the publisher can get money from used games which all profit went to gamestop, now gamestop is try to get profit from DLC... I guess the publisher won't be happy about this.

Kimarous

Sep 23, 2009
If I want Playstation DLC, I'll go on fucking PSN! Why the hell do I need a middle man?

Fr]anc[is

May 13, 2010
I like one portion of this idea: paying with cash at a store means one less database with my credit card info on it.

Senaro

Jan 5, 2008
Exort said:
Moonpooman said:
Doesn't this remove the point of DLC?
Yea... DLC was created so the publisher can get money from used games which all profit went to gamestop, now gamestop is try to get profit from DLC... I guess the publisher won't be happy about this.
The question is how Gamestop gets the codes for these items. They aren't just making them up out of nothing and selling products that don't belong to them. The developers must be getting money from this.

ScienLOLogy

Apr 5, 2010
Can't that semi-criminal gaming pawnshop just die already? Seriously. Digital Distribution is here in full force now. Just die, face-down, squirming in the gutters of the strip mall you came from.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Um as has been pointed out this isn't the first time ever they've done this in fact they have been doing it for the 360 for about a year or so now....

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
Remember back in the 90's where developers put effort into their games instead of putting something that resembles a game out on release day and fixing everything later?

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
My understanding is that 94% of gamers aren't even buying DLC anyway (or so I've read). Anyone else remember the good old days, when a console game was just released in it's entirety, with few exceptions? No DLC, no worrying that you're missing out, nothing withheld, just a game, all of it, right up front, and for $50 brand spankin' new.

Make me wish it were 7 years ago all over again :(

Edit: lol... I guess I'm not alone here.