Anime Review: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Part Two

JoshV

Mar 20, 2009
Anime Review: Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood, Part Two

Things are finally picking up in a very big way.

Read Full Article

drisky

Mar 16, 2009
The frist session was written assuming people already knew it from the anime or manga, since the idea was to show an anime version biased on what happened in the manga, they didn't want to waste time on the parts people already saw animated. I think that was the right decision when I first watch the first session of brotherhood, because I figured they would slow down.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
I saw all 63 episodes on youtube in 8 days, and I must say I agree with you on the pacing, and I think it is a shame because everything else about the show is damn brilliant.

Except for the conclusion, which dragged on for too long and was disappointing.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
Didn't really notice anything wrong with the pacing, even though i had watched the first version (FMA). But I'm quite the fan of FMA:B so my opinions are biased.
Loved this anime, suggest everyone else watch it.
Also, loved the music in it.

Outright Villainy

Jan 19, 2010
I'm glad you have my same concerns with the pacing of that show; everyone has been going on like it's the superior full metal in every way and it just made me not want to watch it at all after the disappointing first few episodes. Now I'll definitely be watching it, starting with the second season probably.

Dak_N_Jaxter

Oct 23, 2009
I really get what you're saying about the pacing.
When I used to watch Bleach, it just irked me how it had to be padded out to stay behind the comic.
There had to be dramatic pauses between every sentence, and what little plot there was was stretch out over several episodes. Ironically, the filler was the most interesting thing about it.

I greatly respect the creators for choosing to make a more solid and fulfilling series from the Manga, instead of dragging it all out. It made for a very engaging story, and as someone who's watched every episode of the subbed, I can tell you that there's plenty more to come.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
yea i agree fma is the way these things should be done rather than resort to endless padding and bs filler that does nothing to add to the story and just confuses the whole issue when you get the anime vs manga people arguing.

or they need to break the season up more to allow the manga to get ahead so there is not so much filler to be found.

fma stood up great on its own doing its own story and doing it amazingly well. the character development and all was great to watch over the course of the series.

fmab starts off slighly different but falls into the first 10 or so episodes following fma almost to the letter with some things compressed. then it start to veer wildly from the first series until you do not know wth is going on anymore.

fmab gets to be a bit too over the top for me at the end personally but is an exciting end once again the characters shine right up to the very end in their development and depth they have.

i think i may perfer the fma slighly in some ways to the 2nd, and the 2nd in some ways more than the first. both are great series however.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
The pacing is brilliant. Finally a show that doesn't revel in its plot ad nauseam. Where every episode is worth watching, because stuff actually happens.

Ravek

Aug 6, 2009
The pacing is brilliant. Finally a show that doesn't revel in its plot ad nauseam. Where every episode is worth watching, because stuff actually happens.

Baldr

The Noble
Jan 6, 2010
Can we get reviews on current season animes? By the time a review comes, I've usually moved on months or years ago.

Mstrswrd

Always playing Touhou. Always.
Mar 2, 2008
Once again, Anime filler's suck. That's what I'm really getting.

Namek really wasn't a long arc... if you remove all the filler/read the Manga. Basically, Namek, in DB Kai, should be about half as many episodes (it took them, what, 18 episodes to get to Namek, while it took about 3 seasons worth to get to namek the first time, so...).

Anyway, yeah, I still prefer FMA:B as a whole to the original because I still like the Manga better than the anime, and Brotherhood follows the Manga more closely. Though, the original anime is still an absolute Gem, unlike the Hellsing anime (the original one, not Ultimate, which is awesome).

AyreonMaiden

Sep 24, 2010
"The timing of the humor in some spots could use some work as well. There are moments in an episode where the tension is mounting and the suspense has grown to almost palpable levels - and then the background is replaced with a bright wash of colors and all of the characters turn into chibis and start yelling and hitting each other. In such an otherwise serious anime, it can just ruin a scene. And even if this brand of humor is more accurate to the manga, anime and manga are not the same medium, and what works in one may not necessarily work in the other"

SOOOOO Glad to see that someone else saw it besides me.

*spoilers*

I damn near cried in furor and agony when they inserted a stupid ass joke about Havoc's love of boobs when he and Roy were confronting Lust. I actually did scream when they made a chibi face after she douses Roy with water in order to halt him from using his fire alchemy.

I was gonna flat out rampage if some stupid chibi shit happened during or after Riza Hawkeye's bone-chilling and heartbreaking "YOU *****!"

*end spoilers*

goldenheart323

Oct 9, 2009
WaderiAAA said:
I saw all 63 episodes on youtube in 8 days, and I must say I agree with you on the pacing, and I think it is a shame because everything else about the show is damn brilliant.

I thought the conclusion was utterly amazing. There was so much going on it didn't feel like it was taking as long as it did. I wanted to see the final battle, but I was enjoying all the other very relevant stuff going on. I didn't mind them not getting right to it. In fact, I was glad we got to see as much as we did. The only thing I was a little disappointed with was what happened after the dust settled. (I'm trying to be very vague to avoid spoiling anything.)

It's just a difference of opinion. I wanted to give my view.

WaderiAAA

Derp Master
Aug 11, 2009
goldenheart323 said:
WaderiAAA said:

I thought the conclusion was utterly amazing. There was so much going on it didn't feel like it was taking as long as it did. I wanted to see the final battle, but I was enjoying all the other very relevant stuff going on. I didn't mind them not getting right to it. In fact, I was glad we got to see as much as we did. The only thing I was a little disappointed with was what happened after the dust settled. (I'm trying to be very vague to avoid spoiling anything.)

It's just a difference of opinion. I wanted to give my view.
I agree that what happened after the dust settled was a bit disappointing, but I also think there were too many battles, because the very last battle ought to be the toughest and most mind-blowing, but when there has already been so many tough battles before it, it doesn't manage to top them.

Velimirius

May 1, 2006
FMA:B is amazing, cant wait to see what will happen with movie that was announced soon after the end of the series :)

Kevin Tyner

Mar 24, 2011
there are a little things that are bothering me
1. The pacing was "bad" in the first 13 episdoes because it was a recap of the first series and the manga
2.WanderiAAA is lying because fullmetal alchemist brotherhood is only 51 episodes long, I just had to point that out
3. FMA:B is suppose to be completely different which I dont think many people knew to some extent from what I've heard, it is a new series with new characters and new plot twists, a spoiler is that humunculus are created by one person, not failed transmutations.

I love this show but, and I want others to see it too, but to an extent you need some prereq. you have to watch the first series to get the pacing of the first 13 episodes.

Thalios

May 6, 2009
Kevin Tyner said:
3. FMA:B is suppose to be completely different which I dont think many people knew to some extent from what I've heard, it is a new series with new characters and new plot twists, a spoiler is that humunculus are created by one person, not failed transmutations.
FMA:B is only knew if you compare it to the old FMA anime. The reason why both FMA and FMA:B have practically the same beginning is because FMA used to follow the manga. Problem was, the manga only increased by one chapter every month, so eventually, the anime had to take a turn and make a plot of its own.
Now, years later, when the manga was finally beginning to face its end, they started up a new anime (FMA:B) where they could actually base it on the manga, without having to make up their own plot.