Activision: We Don't Have an Ego Problem

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Activision: We Don't Have an Ego Problem

Despite its size and success, Activision knows there's always more to learn, says chief operations officer Thomas Tippl.

You'd be forgiven for assuming that Activision executives think they know it all, especially considering that the publisher is pretty much the biggest outfit around. But according to Tippl, ego has no place in the Activision boardroom, and the company is constantly looking for ways to improve its practices.

Speaking at an event in New York City, Tippl said that Activision never assumed it was the best at everything, and made a habit of looking at other companies - not just Activision's competitors, but other media companies as well - to try and pick up ideas on how to make Activision more effective. He didn't cite specific companies that Activision had looked at, but said that it looked at companies all over the world, including countries like China and Korea. Activision didn't just poach other companies' ideas though, he said, as there was plenty of drive internally for development, marketing, and retail teams to hit new targets and break new ground.

It's worth mentioning that as Activision's COO, Tippl's focus is the day-to-day operation of Activision, so the techniques and practices he's referring to probably don't extend to the creative side of the business. He's not saying that Activision gets its game ideas from other companies, just that if EA has a particularly good training policy, for example, or Time Warner has structured its accounting department in a particularly efficient way, Activision has no qualms about taking those ideas and using them itself.

Source: CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=275411?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-News-RSS]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Apart from your soul-destroying business model, everyone already knows what your fucking problem is.

Macheteswordgun

Jul 24, 2010
I lawl'd. There head of the company literally has a big head. Is this a joke i wonder . Who knows but...... Whats next tommy lee doesnt have a huge...... drum kit HA!

archvile93

Sep 2, 2009
I wish I had that picture of Bender laughing right now, it's perfect for this thread.

ShadowsofHope

Outsider
Nov 1, 2009
Hah, Kotick is pretty much the embodiment of egotism!

Nice try, Activision. Some of you may not have it, but your C.E.O. utterly reeks of it.

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha XD BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Oh god, I can't stop laughing! Oh jesus! XD hehehehehe *breathes* hehehe, hooo, oh, that's a good one Activision.

Jun 11, 2008
Xzi said:
You want people to think that Activision is humble? Tell Kotick to shut the fuck up. That would solve that problem. Want to fix all of Activision's other problems in one fell swoop? Take away Kotick's ability to make business decisions.
Or you know fire him for someone who is probably better suited to the job and doesn't have a vendetta against the poor guy in the PR department.

Iron Lightning

Lightweight Extreme
Oct 19, 2009
Well they ought to have an ego problem. Maybe if they were more satisfied with themselves they wouldn't go looking for asinine ways to "improve" their business.

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
Glademaster said:
Xzi said:
You want people to think that Activision is humble? Tell Kotick to shut the fuck up. That would solve that problem. Want to fix all of Activision's other problems in one fell swoop? Take away Kotick's ability to make business decisions.
Or you know fire him for someone who is probably better suited to the job and doesn't have a vendetta against the poor guy in the PR department.
Ok, tell me how is Kotick suited to the job, please?

because I can they you why almost any other COE is better than him:
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/experienced-points/8169-Experienced-Points-Age-of-Kotick

Geoffrey42

Aug 22, 2006
Logan Westbrook said:
He's not saying that Activision gets its game ideas from other companies, just that if EA has a particularly good training policy, for example, or Time Warner has structured its accounting department in a particularly efficient way, Activision has no qualms about taking those ideas and using them itself.
Well then, I guess it's a good thing companies can't patent their business processes, right guys?

Oh wait...