Baldur's Gate 2 Comes to GOG

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Baldur's Gate 2 Comes to GOG

The circle is complete: Baldur's Gate 2 [http://www.bioware.com/games/shadows_amn/] has arrived on GOG.

I'm just going to come right out and say it: Baldur's Gate 2 is the most epic fantasy role-playing experience of all time. Of all time! With heroism, tragedy, memorable villains, a sweeping story and hour upon hour upon hour of gripping adventure and exploration, this is unquestionably the standard-bearer of the Infinity Engine games and an indisputable high-water mark of the CRPG genre. And now it's on GOG!

That's right, if you missed it the first time or just want to return to Athkatla without having to dick around with that massive five-disc install (not to mention the Throne of Bhaal expansion), now's your opportunity to do so with Baldur's Gate 2 Complete, which includes the original Baldur's Gate 2, the tale-ending, super-high-level Throne of Bhaal expansion, the very beefy game manuals in digital format, the map, the soundtrack, 15 hi-def wallpapers and more. That's a whole lot of one of the best RPGs you're ever going to play and it'll only set you back ten bucks.

The line between announcements and advertising can be a bit thin at times but the release of Baldur's Gate 2 deserves some attention because it was such a ground-breaking game and because it's old enough now that a lot of gamers probably haven't played it. Unlike many older games that get a re-release, this one isn't driven by nostalgia; Baldur's Gate 2 is still an engaging, exciting, very playable and even relevant RPG experience. Give it a look at GOG.com [http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/baldurs_gate_2_complete#s_0] - and if you're an RPG fan, don't miss out.

frago roc

Aug 13, 2009
I remember when I first played this game - needa a new sound card =p

Truely amazing, I am in the middle of playing through it again as we speak.

TheBlackKnight

ESEY on the Kross
Nov 3, 2008
TheDoctor455 said:
TheBlackKnight said:
TheDoctor455 said:
Here's to hoping that Planescape Torment comes next.
http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/planescape_torment
Thank you for finding that.
T'was my pleasure.
The_root_of_all_evil said:
I would be spamming Minsc quotes, but I'm too busy downloading...
heh... I prolly gonna get it later too, I am just too lazy to extract the music from the game files on my own... also it is a bit handy just having one installer for it. Though I guess given the hassle with BG 1 it will take some time until the Widescreen Mod is going to work with this version.

Dafttechno

May 19, 2010
I still have all 11 disks. Baldur's Gate (5 disks), Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast expansion (1 disk), Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (4 disks) and Baldur's Gate 2: The Throne of Baal expansion (1 disk). Anyone who has enjoyed any of Bioware's RPGs in the past few years (SW:KOTOR, Jade Empire, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, etc.) should go back to play the award winning series that put Bioware on the map.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
Would that be because you are busy "Butt-kickin' for goodness!"?

Although I rember the one quote from early in the game... "Boo is very small and I have many places for him to hide." - PC "Okay... ew."

Go, enjoy the game, and since you have engaged in a round of go, GO FOR THE EYES!

Gildan Bladeborn

Aug 11, 2009
If I didn't still have my original 5-disc set (plus the Throne of Bhaal expansion!) already on hand, installed, configured for disc-less access and heavily modded, I would be in your boat. But since I'm not, I shall now take up the slack!

The always eloquent Minsc said:
Minsc: Butt kicking for goodness!

Minsc: Jump on my sword while you can, evil! I won't be as gentle!

Minsc: Despair not! I shall inspire you by charging blindly on!

Minsc: I grow tired of shouting battle cries when fighting this mage. Boo will finish his eyeballs once and for all, so he does not rise again! Evil, meet my sword! SWORD, MEET EVIL!!

Minsc: This is silly! Buttons are not how one escapes dungeons! I would smash the button and rain beatings liberally down on the wizard for playing such a trick!

Minsc: [hiding in shadows] None shall see me... though my battle cry may give me away.

Minsc: What? Boo is outraged! See his fury! It's small, so look close. Trust me, it's there.

Minsc: A den of stinking evil! Cover your nose Boo! We will leave no crevice untouched!

DaxStrife

Late Reviewer
Nov 29, 2007
LOVED Baldur's Gate 2... I usually don't hold out hope for remakes of games I love, but if they made one for BG2 I'd be all over it. And System Shock 2.

Oct 30, 2010
Dafttechno said:
I still have all 11 disks. Baldur's Gate (5 disks), Baldur's Gate: Tales of the Sword Coast expansion (1 disk), Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (4 disks) and Baldur's Gate 2: The Throne of Baal expansion (1 disk). Anyone who has enjoyed any of Bioware's RPGs in the past few years (SW:KOTOR, Jade Empire, Dragon Age: Origins, Mass Effect, etc.) should go back to play the award winning series that put Bioware on the map.
I see your 11 discs, and raise you a 12th disc with the BG1 soundtrack.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
Im still waiting for tyrian 2000 and.... some other game thats name escapes me at the moment

edit: ok now I remember, sam and max freelance police and full throttle

teh_gunslinger

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. did it better.
Dec 6, 2007
You know, I really want to buy this game. And BG1 as well. I just can't bring myself to it. I already have the originals of both games, bought at realese ages ago. And the DVD 4-disc set.

I suppose it comes down to extra goods then.