Fallout: New Vegas

Yahtzee Croshaw

Aug 8, 2007
Well, I guess it's a fair reason, personally I enjoyed it a lot, and I wished that Fallout 3 would be exactly that, less the bugs, that is.
I think that New Vegas would have a greater impression on everyone if Fallout 3 didn't exist. Also, a Horse in USA is not an anomaly, why wouldn't they include one? Damn Bethesda.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
True that the fast travel system ruins the experience somewhat, taking you out of the world to remind you that you are just playing a game, but in games like Fallout 3 I think it was a necessity... I got lost just walking around without a damn clue where I was standing... And altho I catched glimpses of really fun stuff happening around me, like a Super Demon Thingie Mutant Monster (forgot the name) getting its head blown off by an energy ray while I just walked to it and never found the source of the ray, walking in Fallout made me so bored I could fall asleep with the controller in my hand.

Games like Red Dead Redemption fix this by having more recognizable areas while still maintaining a huge world. So I could just go on my horse and explore the country side for hours ignoring all the npcs and just waiting for the rain to pour to do a climatic story mission.

But anyway, in the case of the Article I thought the Roleplaying thing was more than enough as a review... It contained all the elements in a pretty funny way and made me imagine what would Yathzee would look like playing D&D...

Now review FABLE III and complete the circle!!!

Teoes

Poof, poof, sparkles!
Jun 1, 2010
Yahtzee's made that comment about the fast travel system in WoW before, but it is a decent comment. It was part of what made that world so scarily big for me when I first started playing. (I gave it up and am a few years clean now though.. don't look at me like that.)

If you're looking for new genres to explore, I noticed the other day that Farming Simulator 2011 is available on Steam. It had a riveting trailer and looks like a blast. Play it, review it, and make my mind up for me please.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Wait...wait...wait!

He played Vanquish.

Well, not something I would expect of him, to be honest. Not with all the big fish swimming around like New Vegas and Fable.

I expected him to get around to it a few months later.

Misho-

May 20, 2010
HankMan said:
If they had added a motorcycle for fast travel you could role-play as Mad Max. Now THAT would be an awesome game!
You sir, are a genius, that would be awesome! Making your own cars out of scrap material would certainly nail down the futuristic post apocaliptic feeling... Something like Rage or something, that would be awesome indeed and more chances to specialize and role-play in Hardcore Mode i.e. finding a constant supply of gas for your car/motorcycle.

Feb 13, 2008
Yahtzee Croshaw said:
...when playing Arkham Horror with my friends...
+1 awesome point, although I wonder how you get time to ever do that. Takes an hour just to set up the board. (Exaggeration for humour value)

I'm of the feeling that World of Warcraft is, on balance, a force for evil in the world today, but I can admire its design just as one could admire the efficiency of Nazi Germany.
+2 awesome points.

The question would be then, Yahtzee, what were you roleplaying in Dizzy? And if you say "an egg" then the yolk's on you.

repeating integers

Mar 17, 2010
...Did you seriously just Godwin your own magazine column?

Eh. I've never paid much thought as to whether I roleplay in games or not, but I suppose I do somewhat in the Mass Effect games. On my first playthrough of ME2, my character used the Shuriken Machine Pistol so much I began to imagine it was my signature weapon and bandits throughout the galaxy feared the sound it made. Too bad I eventually swapped it out for an Assault Rifle...

On my current one, the character I imported from ME1 wore this Predator L light armour like skin - it's a green, camo-patterned suit of armour with a visored helmet as default. Naturally, in Mass Effect 2, I clad my character in near-full Kestrel armour and coloured it green, adding a camo pattern where I could. This helped define my Shepard, alongside all the choices and decisions I made of course. As an aside, this guy is developing a signature weapon too - the submachine gun you get on Kasumi's loyalty mission. Speaking of Kasumi, I like to think my Shepard has feelings for her, but is keeping them to himself so as not to intrude on her private grief over her late boyfriend (still holding out hope you'll be able to romance her in ME3)... come to think of it, I roleplay quite a lot in ME2. It's one of the reasons I like the games. Maybe I don't play enough RPGs.

Spudgun Man

Oct 29, 2008
Yes, fast travelling is a particularly large festering bed bug of mine and one of the reasons I prefer Morrowind to Oblivion and Fo1 + 2 to 3 and NV.

There's no reason why Obsidian couldn't have implemented the Highwayman even if it was just a service provided at the gates of big towns. Then again maybe they should finish the damn game first, Skyward bound Deathclaws and Anti-Matter scorpions are starting to get annoying.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I want Yahtzee to get in and review some indie stuff again. Hell, he's a Tim Schafer fan, he could have reviewed Costume Question while it was still fresh, but he was too busy faffing about with all this "mainstream" bullshit.

Is he afraid he'll find something he'll like, so it'll be less funny? Someone should send him a copy of Super Meat Boy already.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
wow, I'm surprised that he said Fallout should be more like pokémon in terms of story, not that there's anything wrong with pokémon but in my mind pokémon(JRPG,one of the most stylized ones out there) is the polar opposite of Fallout(western RPG made for realism) in the RPG world

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
I think that's one of the reasons I love roaming in RDR so much. The game is still kind of sparse for my tastes, but the world is really alive.

Fallout 3, I tended tofast travel everywhere. There really are so few reasons not to. And I think that's worse than the fast travel being there.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
Problem with f3, oblivion and new vegas

the FIRST time you travel somewhere is new and interesting, the 1+Nth time isn't because you already saw everything

these games necessarily require a stash and a "home base" and you need to move back and forth frequently, particularly in hardcore mode

now to make hardcore mode even more hardcore they need to disable fast travel with any crippled limbs

unwesen

May 16, 2009
In fact, when I played a mage, I used to hang around the cities selling teleports to non-mages for one gold each so I could eventually afford my own horse. Screw your world-saving quests, Blizzard, I can make money my own way.
Hear, hear!

My biggest gripe with MMORPGs these days is that there's too little of that. To stick with WoW, crafting has been reduced to a) clicking on a single button indicating what you want to build, and b) a pointless exercise, because most of the things you can make are worthless for anything other than advancing your crafting skill. And consequently c) once you've made enough of item X, you'll never, ever have a need to make another one again.

It'd be possible to make different aspects of an MMORPG, I mean other than killing mobs, into a game of it's own. To stick with crafting, the whole thing would be worthwhile if crafted items were on par with or better than items gained from churning through PvE content, and cost less to make so you can sell it for about the same. And if the act of building something was a mini-game of sorts, rather than a click of a button, that might be fun in it's own right. If made properly; for example, forcing players to level their characters in order to be allowed to try new crafting recipes (as if proficiency with weapons had anything to do with proficiency with a set of tools) is NOT very helpful in allowing for creative game play.

Fast-travel, besides killing immersion somewhat, also makes it pointless to try your hand at the trading game. There was a time in WoW when there was only one auction house that was accessible to alliance and horde alike, and items available to only faction would be found only there. People traveled there to buy them in bulk (as much as possible), and sell them elsewhere for a profit.

There's a lot of potential in these games to make it possible to play it other than by leveling your character through questing/killing mobs. Seems like the current design tropes in MMORPGs work actively against allowing that, though.

JMeganSnow

Aug 27, 2008
I got much more of a "sandbox world" feel from playing Gothic 1 and 2 than from any Bethesda game to date. The "world" in Gothic is smaller, but it's highly involuted so you don't have to travel very far in order to find something. There are many interesting things to mess around with.

I'm curious to try Risen and Arcanis (Gothic 4) if I ever have the time/money.

Edit: Gothic also has no fast-travel until quite late in the game, when they start having you run all over the place in order to finish off main-plot quests. The teleport system actually feels like a reward you earned instead of a gimmick for lazy gamers.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
I do get what Yahtzee is saying about the fast traveling.
When I have played Fallout's 3 and New Vegas the only time a use fast travel is usually when my dumb-ass wandered into something dangerous and I had to fight by the skin of my teeth to get out of, just to find that I'm out of healing items and need to be healed quick. Otherwise the thing I love most about these games are the exploration, seeing even nook and cranny of the map, finding secrets, gaining EXP.