Blizzard Expands Its Creep By 40%

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Blizzard Expands Its Creep By 40%

Prepare your defenses: Blizzard is about to expand its base.

A report from the Orange County Business Journal has detailed a recent land expansion by World of Warcraft [http://www.amazon.com/Starcraft-II-Wings-Liberty-Pc/dp/B000ZKA0J6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1289950473&sr=8-1] studio Blizzard Entertainment. Maybe you've heard of it? According to the report, Blizzard could be preparing for a huge offensive against rival factions.

Or, it just needs more space. The OCBJ says that Blizzard recently signed a lease for two new buildings located near its already huge headquarters in Irvine, California. Blizzard's current HQ takes up around 235,000 square feet of space, and the new buildings will add another 100,000. That's an approximate expansion of 40%.

Why would Blizzard need to expand? Well, duh. World of Warcraft is mega-popular and its third expansion is set for release next month. StarCraft II is also mega-popular and still has two more parts on the way. super secret MMO [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Pc/dp/B00178630A/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1289950879&sr=1-1] in development.

With 1,100 employees currently grinding away at Blizzard, the extra 100,000 square feet of space could be just the amount of elbow room that the doctor ordered. It's said to be one of the largest expansions for a technology company in the area since Blizzard doubled its office space in 2007. The new space might not be guarded by an Orc [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/90196-Blizzard-Unveils-12-Foot-Orc-Statue-at-Irvine-HQ], but expect some kind of similar protection to be put in place.

Source: Orange County Business Journal [http://www.ocbj.com/news/2010/nov/14/blizzard-signs-lease-expansion-hq/]

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
For the Horde!

Maybe they are building a Warcraft theme park? Or a Starcraft themed paintball arena? Those would rock.

Azmael Silverlance

Pirate Warlord!
Oct 20, 2009
For The Horde!

Welll they are already geared up to take hold permanently over most of the online gaming. WoW,SC2 and D3 all of which have huge huge huge followings on battle.net and are completely different genres.
And with the new MMO and tons of money behind them its no surprise they wanna expand. My guess is they need alot of new peeps to develop all the cool stuff they have planned for us in the future...

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
They've got to have somewhere to put all that cash.

I'm sure it's related to the development for their next MMO, and whatever other works of mad genius they're contemplating. SC2 was sprung upon us with little warning, after all. One can only wonder what's next.

MazzaTheFirst

Jul 1, 2009
Damn, read the title and thought Zerg were going to get a huge creep buff.

I just hope they can make an original game soon. They make solid games but I am getting kinda tired of franchise games.

hansari

May 31, 2009
icyneesan said:
Maybe we'll see Starcraft Ghost come-

Nah thats as likely as Warcraft 4 being a RTS

Please don't get my hopes up...it'll only tear me apart in the end

wasalp

Dec 22, 2008
mattaui said:
They've got to have somewhere to put all that cash.

I'm sure it's related to the development for their next MMO, and whatever other works of mad genius they're contemplating. SC2 was sprung upon us with little warning, after all. One can only wonder what's next.
little warning...their website has been up since 2006 I think.

Vaccine

Feb 13, 2010
For da Horde, mon.

Hopefully it's more Warcraft related space, I'm not a huge fan of Diablo or Starcraft.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Well, they've grabbed their natural expansion... but they still require MORE VESPENE GAS.

[small]Man, I wish I lived over that way... maybe get a job with Blizz... that'd be awesome.[/small]