Sony Adds Subscription-Free Movie Streaming Service to PS3

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Sony Adds Subscription-Free Movie Streaming Service to PS3

If you don't want to pay for Netflix, you can still stream HD movies to your PlayStation 3 with VUDU.

Following up on the recent announcement that Hulu Plus will be available on the PlayStation 3 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105003-Hulu-Plus-Opening-Its-Doors-to-All-US-PS3s-Next-Week], Sony has added yet another media streaming service to the system called VUDU. VUDU is a movie portal that doesn't require a subscription, so users can pick and choose the movies they want to spend money on when they want them, just like like those brick-and-mortar movie rental stores of the prehistoric age.

If you don't want to buy a Netflix subscription and can't find the movies you want on the PlayStation Store, VUDU could be another movie streaming choice to look at. VUDU's claims to fame are its HD movies, particularly in the "HDX" format which displays movies in true 1080p HD and is said to mimic the quality of a Blu-ray movie over broadband. HDX also includes the ability to use Dolby Digital Plus 5.1 surround sound.

VUDU users can rent or buy movies in lower quality HD and SD formats too. The company says it has the largest selection of HD titles available anywhere, with many movies becoming available the day they're released on DVD and Blu-ray. According to Sony, VUDU will be available on the PlayStation 3 (but not the Xbox 360) next week.

StoryMode

Mar 18, 2010
Though Netflix is VERY much worth it, its hard to find HD content that's available for streaming. As well there is NO Advertising. I wonder if VUDU will offer only some free movies? Or have advertisements? (I'd bet on both of those\e)

Jordez

Oct 4, 2010
Sorry if I'm being blind but where in the article does it say this service will be free? I know it will be subscription free but I imagine that you'll still have to pay to rent each movie.

killamanhunter

Mar 24, 2009
Jordez said:
Sorry if I'm being blind but where in the article does it say this service will be free? I know it will be subscription free but I imagine that you'll still have to pay to rent each movie.
Look at the screenshot it says underneath the movie 3.99-9.99 probably the price of rent to buying

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Subscription free, but it's still a movie rental service non the less.

The title got me overly excited T_T. I thought Sony had somehow been able to get us FREE movies, but alas. I'll stick with Netflix.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
The best part of this news piece is when Mr. Goldman has to inform us (in parenthesis no less) that this won't be available on the 360.

Really? ;)

James B Hamster

Apr 15, 2009
Well, doesn't the Zune apparatus serve roughly the same function for the 360? If that's the case, I find the notion of VUDU a bit on-the-nose to what Microsoft's endeavour was born out of: Apple had iTunes and the iPod, so Microsoft created the Zune, which was cool (sorta) but far less successful; now Sony is creating VUDU to do the same thing for the PS3 (from my perspective) as the Zune does for the 360.

Without taking sides in any interconsole conflict, I must say this bodes unwell for Sony, at least from a "keeping up with the Joneses" viewpoint.

AzrealMaximillion

Jan 20, 2010
Another free addition to the PS3 that The 360 charges users to have...
Seriously defending MS for that is pointless now.

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
I'm lost is not movies on demand already included? So this is just another service to rent movies from? Or did sony not have one already.

koga88

May 19, 2009
So... they are more or less offering people a free movie browser. Well more or less the title of the article is correct. The service of streaming the movies is free. But the movies themselves aren't. Though I suppose $3.99 for a SD rental isn't too bad, but how long are we able to view the movie for after we have rented it. Sure this will be convenient for people without Netflix or don't have a movie rental store near them but I can drive 5 minutes and pick up a blu-ray copy of the same movie for $5 for five days. Either that or go to a redbox and get it for $1 and return it next day.

Well bravo for them trying of course. But didn't they already have a movie rentals?

Jumplion

Mar 10, 2008
Sweet, though I don't use my Ps3 for movies. Good ole fashioned vidjya games for me, thank you ;)

Asuka Soryu

Jun 11, 2010
Finally. I was so sick of paying for movies, but now, thank's to Sony, I can pay for movies.

...Wait.

unoleian

Jul 2, 2008
AzrealMaximillion said:
Another free addition to the PS3 that The 360 charges users to have...
Seriously defending MS for that is pointless now.
Uhm. No. This is the Video Marketplace. For PS3.
There's no more to that tale. They are practically IDENTICAL services...

AvsJoe

Elite Member
May 28, 2009
Great news. But will VUDU have classic or rare or indie movies to watch and if so then how many? Selection is important to me; I see many of Hollywood's movies in the theater but I rarely have the opportunity to watch festival movies unless they have a major DVD release.