It's Official: Black Ops Sold Better Than Modern Warfare 2

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
It's Official: Black Ops Sold Better Than Modern Warfare 2

Despite it being an "off-year" for Call of Duty, Treyarch's COD: Blops outsold Infinity Ward's Modern Warfare 2 by $100 million.

As we've reported of the last week, COD: Blops broke records in the U.K. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105215-Black-Ops-Beats-MW2-in-Launch-Day-Sales] and now it has set a new entertainment industry record by earning $650 million in the first week it was out. The previous record-holder was MW2 with $550 million. Activision didn't release exact unit figures but a quick estimate figures that around 10 million copies of COD: Blops were purchased worldwide. Retailers like GameStop and Amazon also reported that the videogame launch was the biggest that they've experienced, and that it bodes well for all videogame sales as we enter the holiday season.

Microsoft also released some astonishing figures for how many players were using Xbox Live to play Blops. Last week, 2.6 million unique players signed in to play multiplayer matches and over 5.9 million hours of multiplayer action were recorded.

Of course, Activision CEO Bobby Kotick had a lot to brag about. "Call of Duty has become the first entertainment property in history to set five-day launch records for two consecutive years across all forms of entertainment," Kotick said. "The title's success illustrates the mass appeal of interactive entertainment as millions of consumers are choosing to play Call of Duty: Black Ops at unprecedented levels rather than engage in other forms of media."

But wait, he didn't stop there! "The number of people playing online and the number of hours they are playing demonstrates how online gaming has become a mainstream form of entertainment and certainly validates Activision Blizzard's leadership role in online entertainment."

I mean, with these numbers, he's got a point. But does Kotick need to rub it in? Jeez...

Source: GamesIndustry.biz [http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-11-18-black-ops-earns-USD650m-in-five-days-USD100m-over-mw2]

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Must... resist... making... that... two... rainbow... joke...

Edit: Why is this comment one of my most quoted?

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
As much as I want to play this, I don't want to give ol' Bobby more money. Aaaahh...
Hehe. Blops. Haven't heard that one.

bob1052

Oct 12, 2010
Greg Tito said:
Last week, 2.6 unique player signed in to play multiplayer matches and over 5.9 million hours of multiplayer action were recorded.
I think there were afew more than that /smartguy

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
Now all Treyarch has to do is fix the problem in the multiplayer without breakin the entire game and they will be 10X better than IW

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
funnily enough, its also the game that will validate them making a "multiplayer only" video game

and the backlash of that will either give them more money or crash and burn (right now i dont know what the current generation of gamers wants... and if this "Multiplayer experience" is for real or only a thrend that will go away in a year or so)

why oh why do the main stream guys keep being blinded by "multiplayer" and "achievements" and stuff like that?? why cant they realize they are paying for the same experience with each installment, i mean, i know the games are "different" but it all boils down to "kill that-protect that-capture that" the game modes are almost all the same.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well, congratulations to Treyarch.

In 3 games they've gone from crappy wannabe to franchise leader, not bad. Although I expect this is the final nail in Infinity Ward's coffin. With their lead staff gone and Treyarch making games that sell just as well surely IW is going to get broken up sometime soon.

Distorted Stu

Sep 22, 2009
Im not suprised. I love the little info/tip things Blops shows you on the bottom of the Multiplayer screen. My favourite one had to be 3000+ years have been spent online. And falling Everest 1000000+ times lol

Bigeyez

Apr 26, 2009
HentMas said:
funnily enough, its also the game that will validate them making a "multiplayer only" video game

and the backlash of that will either give them more money or crash and burn (right now i dont know what the current generation of gamers wants... and if this "Multiplayer experience" is for real or only a thrend that will go away in a year or so)

why oh why do the main stream guys keep being blinded by "multiplayer" and "achievements" and stuff like that?? why cant they realize they are paying for the same experience with each installment, i mean, i know the games are "different" but it all boils down to "kill that-protect that-capture that" the game modes are almost all the same.
Because they are fun to play?...which is kind of the point of videogames to begin with...

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
You have got to be shitting me. This is the best-selling game of the year? What the fuck did it do to deserve that?

Blops is a nice appellation, BTW.

Sephychu

Dec 13, 2009
bob1052 said:
Greg Tito said:
Last week, 2.6 unique player signed in to play multiplayer matches and over 5.9 million hours of multiplayer action were recorded.
I think there were afew more than that /smartguy
Ninja'd.
I feel sorry for that 0.6 of a guy. Still, shows his dedication that he played Black Ops regardless.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
Not G. Ivingname said:
Must... resist... making... that... two... rainbow... joke...
DOUBLE RAINBOW! WHOO!

I am happy for Black Ops. I said in a different thread that most people I know consider them as underdogs, but now they have broken all records and it is a fabulous game.

kokirisoldier

Apr 15, 2008
I played it, and my verdict is...I still play MW2 online instead. Heck I sold my copy so I could get Medal of Honor. For me, I just don't like messing with old versions of the weapons i like. Selling copies really means nothing to me.

Jesus Phish

Jan 28, 2010
Distorted Stu said:
MortisLegio said:
Now all Treyarch has to do is fix the problem in the multiplayer without breakin the entire game and they will be 10X better than IW
What problems?
It's best not to open that can of worms. I've not played the game so I dont know what "they" are, but suffice to say, someone somewhere has an issue with something in the game and with that many people buying it, thats alot.

It's impressive to me as I too thought this would sell worse (slightly worse that is) than MW2, since it went from IW back to Treyarch.

Might pick this up in a few weeks after christmas if I find a cheap copy.