Doom Creator Wants to Make a Kinect Game

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Doom Creator Wants to Make a Kinect Game

There's hand waving and motion controls in John Carmack's future, but perhaps not all that much shooting.

id Software's technical director John Carmack, one of the minds behind massively influential games like Doom and Quake, says that he's interested in experimenting with Kinect. He says he has an "itch" to make an XBLA game that uses the device, although he admits that he hasn't figured out what he'd actually do yet.

Carmack said that Kinect was an interesting technology, and that an Xbox Live Arcade game would be the perfect platform to experiment with it. He said that he'd like to make a game on the same kind of scale as an iPhone game, which is likely to be a fairly substantial release, if the iPhone version of Rage is anything to go by. Whatever game he ends up making though, he says that it won't be an FPS, as he doesn't think id's current shooters are a good fit for Kinect.

I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of developers will end up doing something similar with Kinect, essentially experimenting with smaller games in order to figure out how it could work with hardcore titles, and getting a sense of how they'd like to use it. A Live Arcade game is also a smaller investment than a full retail title, so it would be a useful indicator of the potential audience. Millions of people might buy a Kinect before the end of the year, but not all of those are going to want to use it for hardcore games.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/18/carmack-kinect-xbla/]

The Cheezy One

Christian. Take that from me.
Dec 13, 2008
Sounds like a doomed premise. I wonder if anyone has made that joke before?
In all seriousness, it could be alright. A 1 to 1 control survival horror game? Could be sweet and immersive!

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
At the moment, the only ideal projects for the Kinect are small indie titles, while devs experiment with ideas and concepts. We're not going to see anything for any real value until we start seeing people playing with ideas, and seeing what works and what what can be achieved.

Plus, if it's you know, actual skilled developers doing the experimenting, all the better.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
If someone needs to go ahead and make 'Kinect Four' so we can get that joke out of the way.

Maybe not John Carmack though.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Vault Citizen said:
Can anyone tell me what game the picture in this article is from?
That's Rage, id Software's next big game.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
The more I think about it the more I think Kinect would be great for something like Matt Hazard or, Serious Sam. Or perhaps a completely different/ new parody FPS. Even if it is a rail shooter, just imagine pointing your finger at the TV screen and jerking it up violently (yelling bang being optional) in order to kill hoards of the Nazi-Zombie-Demons-From-Space?

Also I kinda thought XBLA and PSN were meant to be sort of testing grounds for new properties. Not that I'm complaining about re-buying the arcade X-Men or, TMNT as opposed to an experimental new game a development team threw together as a late night experiment.

Jul 22, 2009
Sounds good, if anyone can make something epic out of Kinect it's this guy... or Capcom but that's not the point.

Bring it on Carmack!

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
If anyone knows how to do amazing things with technology, it's John Carmack. The guy is a legend. He got bored with video games for a while so he decided to get into rocket science. Let's see Bobby Kotick try that one.. =)

I might buy a Kinect just so I could play whatever game Mr. Carmack comes up with.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
Ignore. My witty comment was poorly researched.
Also, John Romero has an awful lot of bitches.

fozzy360

I endorse Jurassic Park
Oct 20, 2009
Whenever Carmack gets an itch to do something new in gaming, it usually results in something fairly awesome. You won't believe the amount of fun I'm having with DOOM II RPG. I'm very much looking forward to seeing what he can do with Kinect, despite the fact that I don't have one!

mjc0961

YOU'RE a pie chart.
Nov 30, 2009
On the flipside though, people who play "hardcore" games aren't going to drop $150 on Kinect just to play one or two XBLA games.