Valve Heralds New Portal 2 Delay as Its Shortest Ever

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Valve Heralds New Portal 2 Delay as Its Shortest Ever

You'll have to wait a little longer to play Portal 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Portal-2-Xbox-360/dp/B002I0J9M0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1290178325&sr=8-1], but cheer up, because it could have been a lot worse.

It's bad news for gamers, as Valve has announced that Portal 2 will miss its February release date by a couple of months. It's good news for Valve however, as the two month slip represents the shortest delay in Valve's 14-year history.

Valve didn't say what had caused the delay, just that it was a sign that the oft-talked about "Valve Time [http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time]" - a jokey reference to the fact that Valve will announce a date or a time and then almost never stick to it - was getting ever closer to "Real Time." The eventual union of the two would have dire consequences for the humanity, Valve said, but would not result in any more delays for Portal 2. This is obviously disappointing, but Valve has so much goodwill among gamers it's hard to imagine too many people getting mad at the company. Besides, two months is nothing compared to the three years - and counting - we've been waiting for Half-Life 2: Episode 3.

As long as there are no more fluctuations in the Valve Time Continuum, Portal 2 will now come out for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 on April 18th. This is the second time that Valve has pushed back the release date for the game though, so it might be worth using a pencil to mark it in your diary, rather than a pen.

Simalacrum

Resident Juggler
Apr 17, 2008
Only 2 months?

Valve, I'm almost disappointed in you for such a short delay! You're breaking my expectation of playing this sometime in 2013 :p

SuperMarcons

Feb 22, 2010
I'm surprised people actually consider patience when it comes to Valve and their delays. I always thought it more prudent just to forget Valve existed until they actually announced a release date for something.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
Do you think Valve might just learn one of these days and either A) Not give a release date until the disks are being printed or B) Give a really late prediction.

Aug 25, 2009
This is not the sort of thing to celebrate.

It reminds me of the XKCD strip, a primary school teacher reassuring people he wears a condom while teaching. Strictly speaking it's better than the alternative but someone somewhere is doing their job very wrong. (Okay so it doesn't really but I wanted to use that quote somewhere)

Just being 'a little less late than usual' is not something to boast about, because you are still late. Sometimes it seems like Valve are the only ones who can get away with this, and I really do wonder why. If Bioware announced a 14 month delay on Mass Effect 3, or didn't even give a release date at all and just said 'I dunno, when it's done.' People would be denouncing them and burning effigies of Shepard in the street, so why does Valve get a free pass?

Billska

Feb 3, 2010
What I read was "Portal 2 comming out in December"
Atleast it will be released before HL2: EP3.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
only two months?

valve, that's just insulting

2 months! can you believe that? 2 months!

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
I wish I had 'Valve Time' to do all my school work in X3

But there's no end of polish they can put on it in two months.

Zeema

The Furry Gamer
Jun 29, 2010
they say 2 moths but this is the real release date

25/8/3974 Portal 2

i dont trust Valve on release dates

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Ya... I'm pretty sure the new date wont be the real one either, but here is hoping it comes out by the end of 2011

mParadox

Susurration
Sep 19, 2010
Country
Germany
damn.. :(

And to think it was going to be released on my birthday! D:

Haz88

Nov 19, 2009
I really don't care anymore. I'll buy it when it ends up in a bargain bin. At least it gives me some time to scrape money together for a new graphics card.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
It isn't surprising in the slightest to be honest, and not even due to Valve's reputation for being late with releases; You can't pre-order it yet and that's a sign in itself considering you could pre-order Halo Reach almost a year in advance.

I am less disappointed than I normally would be anyway; it means I have more time to spend with Dead Space 2 upon release and helps fill the void in games between the beginning of the year and Autumn/Fall when Gears of War 3 is released. It also means I may end up getting Dragon Age: Origins after all.

teh_Canape said:
only two months?

valve, that's just insulting

2 months! can you believe that? 2 months!
Well technically it's more than that considering it was originally supposed to be "Released for Xmas 2010".

Brownie101

Feb 10, 2009
SuperMarcons said:
I'm surprised people actually consider patience when it comes to Valve and their delays. I always thought it more prudent just to forget Valve existed until they actually announced a release date for something.
This is what I do. They announce a release date? yay. Find out when it is, forget about it in two weeks.

MasterSplinter

Jul 8, 2009
What if this is the biggest trolling ever and valve end's up releasing "Portal 3: portals in outer space" in july 2013 (completely skipping portal 2), and after 5 min of mind blowing gameplay Rick Astley starts singing.