Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: The Little Movie That Could

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: The Little Movie That Could

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 is on track to make up to $150 million in three days.

The past two Harry Potter films have grossed around $77 million each in their respective opening weekends, and Warner Bros. expressed confidence that Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 would reach up to $100 million. Early reports and advance ticket sales for midnight showings indicate that the film will top even the $100 million mark, grossing upwards of $130 million in its three-day opening weekend.

Yesterday, Deadline reported that as of 6:00pm PST, "advance sales were $35 million." Deadline apparently understands the maths of how these things escalate, projecting $60 million in sales today (opening day), and between $130-$150 million for Friday, Saturday, and Sunday combined. In additional quantitative measures, Harry Potter represented 97% of yesterday's ticket sales for online ticket seller Fandango.

The film was screened in 3,700 midnight showings last night, and boasts showings today on over 9,000 screens in the United States alone. Reviews thus far have been pretty positive (check out MovieBob's review [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/escape-to-the-movies/2465-Harry-Potter-and-the-Deathly-Hallows-Part-1]), assuring that, if the final film is anything like the penultimate chapter, it'll make an even more off-the-charts sick amount of money.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/harry-potterdeath-hallows-pt1-breaking-box-office-records-3700-midnights-and-25m-advance-ticket-sales-and-fandango-sellouts/]

therandombear

Elite Member
Sep 28, 2009
the last part will most definitly break any record that part 1 gets now.

On a another note, I'm seeing this in a few hours now..can't wait, 1 & 2 were good, 3 was utter crap, 4 was meh-ish crap, 5 was a step in the right direction, 6 was awesome, hopefully 7 part 1 will be even better then 6 and 7 part 2 will blend us with it's awesomeness :p

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
$150 mil in 3 days? wow that's alot

Can't wait to see this.

Ooh and this could be a good time for a Harry Potter joke XD How does Hogwarts deal with teenage pregnancy?... Fetus Deletus! XD

Sorry couldn't resist =3

(think i may have put this in another thread a while ago, can't remember, mehhh)

Darkgoosey666

Jul 18, 2010
therandombear said:
the last part will most definitly break any record that part 1 gets now.

On a another note, I'm seeing this in a few hours now..can't wait, 1 & 2 were good, 3 was utter crap, 4 was meh-ish crap, 5 was a step in the right direction, 6 was awesome, hopefully 7 part 1 will be even better then 6 and 7 part 2 will blend us with it's awesomeness :p
agree with your list there, except i thought 6 was crap and 4 and 5 awesome.

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
therandombear said:
...never thought I'd see anyone who shared my opinion exactly. Most people I talk to say "no, no, 3 was the best one so far!" And I respond, "it felt like a choppy, incomplete summary of the book!"

But yeah, once I got it through my head to treat the films as entirely separate from the books, it started to work. Besides, if OotP and HBP are any indication, David Yates really knows how to do dark stories like these. I'm looking forward to Deathly Hallows, myself.

dghjdgdjf

Nov 9, 2009
NeutralDrow said:
therandombear said:
...never thought I'd see anyone who shared my opinion exactly. Most people I talk to say "no, no, 3 was the best one so far!" And I respond, "it felt like a choppy, incomplete summary of the book!"

But yeah, once I got it through my head to treat the films as entirely separate from the books, it started to work. Besides, if OotP and HBP are any indication, David Yates really knows how to do dark stories like these. I'm looking forward to Deathly Hallows, myself.
And the sixth movie didn't feel like a choppy, incomplete summary of the book? :|

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
Deeleted said:
NeutralDrow said:
therandombear said:

And the sixth movie didn't feel like a choppy, incomplete summary of the book? :|
No. It felt like something completely different. I'd already gotten it through my head that the films and the books were two separate 'verses, so the only complaint I had was that the half-blood Prince revelation at the end felt tacked-on. Pretty much everything else was really good.

meglathon

Oct 9, 2008
Iv been looking forward to this since i read the book, it so much more than just a Harry Potter story. It realy is the best of the seiries and it should be(with appologis to Totalbisciut)EIPC!!!

Tomtitan

Jun 7, 2010
"The film was screened in 3,700 midnight showings last night, and boasts showings today on over 9,000 screens in the United States alone."

OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAND?!

YOU SAW IT. YOU CAN'T UNSEE IT!

ThreeKneeNick

Aug 4, 2009
Damn. Ticket sales wouldn't be this low if it weren't for the leak of the first half hour of the movie.

Oh wait

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
And since everyone else seems to be giving their opinion of the movies:

I really liked 1 back then, looking back now I see it wasn't really very good (it was fairly faithful, though), 2 was good, didn't like 3 (what a difference not having one scene can make), loved 4, didn't like 5, and thought that 6 was pretty good.

Well, hopefully tomorrow the movie blows me away.

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
Scotty. said:
Ren3004 said:
And since everyone else seems to be giving their opinion of the movies:

I really liked 1 back then, looking back now I see it wasn't really very good (it was fairly faithful, though), 2 was good, didn't like 3 (what a difference not having one scene can make), loved 4, didn't like 5, and thought that 6 was pretty good.

Well, hopefully tomorrow the movie blows me away.
What scene was missing, may I ask?
The explanation that Lupin, Potter, Pettigrew and Black were the Marauders, etc.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
I am sorry, but what part of the Harry Potter movie is "little"? Last time I checked, it was a blockbuster. :p

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
Wow. It was good but THAT good? People I know were complaining about it butchering the books but I guess a lot of people don't read the books then.

Drakmeire

Elite Member
Jun 27, 2009
Country
United States
I feel bad that I haven't seen it yet. I had tons to do this weekend.