APB's New Owners Want a Scotland Office

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
APB's New Owners Want a Scotland Office

The folks who bought APB are looking to establish a European HQ in Scotland, though they're considering Germany, too.

Now that free-to-play MMO publisher GamersFirst has <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105311-GamersFirst-Acquires-APB-Will-Relaunch-in-2011-as-Free-to-Play-MMO> bought up the rights to APB, the company is looking to open a European headquarters. Unsurprisingly, a location in the U.K. is on the short list of locations that GamersFirst is considering, and it sounds like this would be the group's top choice.

GamesIndustry.biz recently talked to the company's CCO and CTO Bjorn Book-Larsson, who talked about where he'd like to establish a permanent HQ. According to Book-Larsson, "Basically, the one thing we don't have at the moment is a European office, which is something we've been looking at.

"We have looked at Hamburg in Germany, but what we're looking at now potentially is ... Well, Scotland would certainly be a fine place to have a permanent office. We'd consider that for sure."

From the sound of things, Scotland might be an ideal location anyway, since Book-Larsson also revealed that GamersFirst stated he's interested in employing/contracting former RealTime Worlds staff who worked on APB. Although he acknowledged that a lot of these developers have since begun working for other groups, he did state, "We are open to talking to everyone who was associated with the original game."

The full interview covers a number of different aspects about the relaunch of APB (under the title APB: Reloaded) and what GamersFirst has had to deal with in adapting what was a retail game into a free-to-play model.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2010-11-17-apbs-second-life-interview>GamesIndustry.biz

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
that's cool for them eurofolks

though I wonder one thing....

will it include skilt wearing thugs? ^-^

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
Sweet jesus! I can play one of my favorite MMOs of all time and not have to pay!!
Thats like a dream come true!

But seriously, i did like this game. It was alot of fun.

Dec 14, 2009
Unless you want your internal clock throwing off, don't go to Scotland. They get 1 day of sun every 41 days. :)

Pandora92

Apr 2, 2010
teh_Canape said:
that's cool for them eurofolks

though I wonder one thing....

will it include skilt wearing thugs? ^-^
Skilt? xDDD

Would be sort of cool if they came to Scotland, I know a few people with "Games Design" degrees and suchlike looking for a job somewhere local, the more businesses here in Scotland the more likely they are to find one I guess.

Although with the UK Government as adverse to tax breaks as they are then I don't know if this will actually happen, although I'm not aware of the German Government's policies on such things I must admit.

sheic99

Oct 15, 2008
I had high hopes for playing this when it came until I noticed that it was being run by Gamers First, and now my dreams have been crushed.

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Wait- isn't APB about bling and gangsta cheese and whatnot?
We British folk don't understand these philosophies.

Besides... I thought the game went bankrupt and shut down already?

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
Mackheath said:
YE INSULTIN' MAH COUNTRY?! AH'LL SMASH YER TEETH IN YA WEE ****!

...sorry. Patriotic side reacted; he's wrestling haggis now.
tell him to bring me a plaid shirt when he comes back ^-^

just kidding you

I may have messed the word there, but I kinda thought that "skirt" would be too serious racist, rather than silly joke racist XD

nothing personal though

felixader

Feb 24, 2008
Look, i am German.

If you are working in this Country with a Game where people shoot people, you gonna be insulted by Politics who never ever have seen a screen thinner than half a family house, even if you earn big money and pay big sized chunks of Taxes.

Just don't do it.

PS2MAN

May 17, 2009
ZombieGenesis said:
Besides... I thought the game went bankrupt and shut down already?
It did. Someone bought the lifeless corpse and is creating a zombie.

Lenriak

Apr 15, 2009
BRING IT BACK TO DUNDEE!!, theres a big office area thats just recently become available incase they haven't noticed :)