Kevin Butler Scores Big With Three Awesome (or Creepy) New Ads

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Kevin Butler Scores Big With Three Awesome (or Creepy) New Ads

Sony's hilarious ad figurehead has returned with three new commercials that will make you smile - and may make you sniff yourself uncomfortably.

I think that - no matter how much we might wish this to not be the case - we all recognize that Kevin Butler, Sony's VP of Whatever Title He Currently Has, is a fictional character. He's expertly portrayed by actor Jerry Lambert, his speech is written by a clever team of scribes, and the ads are hilarious and rather compelling, but it's not real. Still, we wish it was.

And that doesn't mean the ads can't also be hilarious, too. Sony has released three new KB spots in quick succession that run the gamut from "hilarious" to "hilarious and a bit unsettling."

The first celebrates the impending release of Gran Turismo 5, and reveals that the many, many delays in getting GT5 onto shelves were due to the charismatic Mr. Butler's perfectionism, and not all that other stuff [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104382-Polyphony-Explains-Gran-Turismo-5-Delay-Sony-Unhappy]. Best part? "Mr. Butler is a professional driver on a closed course."

The second is probably the weakest of the bunch, as its jokes are obvious right from the outset. It's also got the most boring job of the three - it just reminds viewers that the PS3 is also a rather competent gaming console as well as being a Blu-Ray player. Dude, Sony, you were talking about this back in 2006. We all know by now!

The third is where it gets a bit weird. Suffice it to say that KB thinks that if you buy a PS3, you can be just like this fake TV family. I'm not going to say any more, because that would ruin the punch line. You'll have to watch this one yourself.

I acknowledge that it is a commercial character and at their heart, these are nothing more than clever advertisements. But really? I don't care. I still love you, KB.

(PlayStation Blog [http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/11/19/playstation-3-it-only-does-gifts-for-the-whole-family/])

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
"She smells like strawberries."
Okay, I gotta say, that guy makes me laugh...
Second one was funny because it was terrible. Not in an entirely bad way.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Great ads. I want a giant hanging Kevin Butler picture outside of my window.

Almost sold me on GT5. Almost. I'm steering toward the new NFS. Who's doing that review, Funk?

IzisviAziria

Nov 9, 2008
Kevin Butler's commercials are so damn much better than the abstract ones they started out with. Gotta say though, I haven't seen one that beats the MLB 10: The Show commercial.

"Well played, Mauer!"

Apr 28, 2008
"And when they said they need the test cars back I said 'Muahahahahahaha!'"

Awesome. I love Kevin Butler...

Tartarga

Jun 4, 2008
"When they said they wanted their test cars back I said Hahahahaha!" I freaking love Kevin Butler, the day Sony stops using him in their commercials is the day they go out of business.

cerebus23

May 16, 2010
going by the responses sofar seem he is winning the people over, funny stuff either way gt5 is a must buy for me since like well 5 6 years ago :p.

theSovietConnection

Survivor, VDNKh Station
Jan 14, 2009
Onyx Oblivion said:
Great ads. I want a giant hanging Kevin Butler picture outside of my window.

Almost sold me on GT5. Almost. I'm steering toward the new NFS. Who's doing that review, Funk?
Hot Pursuit is a lot more arcade-y, so it depends, do you want a simulation or an arcade racer?

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
This_ends_now said:
Mr. Butler makes me proud to be a sony man. No Microsoft rep is nearly as cool.
I'm a Microsoft man and even I'll admit, Kevin Butler is way cooler than anyone we've got!

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
Dear Sony: I hope you are paying whoever came up with the Kevin Butler ads a very large pile of money. They are genius.

Lillowh

Oct 22, 2007
That laugh at the end of the first one is so priceless. I applaud you Sony for making great commercials, and consoles. Yet I'm still not going to buy a ps3 because I already own a 360 and I would only use it for exclusives, so buying a PS3 would be a waste for me.