Creating Good Music Is As Simple As Playing a Game

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Creating Good Music Is As Simple As Playing a Game

A new web application called SoundBetter aims to make recording music, and making it sound, ahem, better, with a game-like interface.

Music rhythm videogames are branching more and more into the creation of music instead of just consuming it. Programs like the Rock Band Network and the latest round of music games concentrating on bridging the gap between playing a game and playing a real instrument [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/8275-Review-Music-Game-Roundup]. User-created content is also a huge buzzword right now as evidenced by the Minecraft craze, the success of games like Little Big Planet, and the continued popularity of YouTube. All of the pieces seem to be in place for an application that would allow you to record and manipulate your voice, add backing tracks and function like a professional studio all with easily accessible game-like elements. And that's exactly what Music Mastermind's SoundBetter will provide. Once you have your masterpiece, SoundBetter will let you share your composition with the masses.

"We're at the forefront of the next evolution of music entertainment, and it's time to break down the barriers that prevent people from expressing themselves musically," said Matt Serletic, CEO of Music Mastermind. "This company is all about fun and easy music creation for everyone. All people love music, and now absolutely anyone can produce great sounding songs to enjoy and share with the world."

Music Mastermind [http://www.musicmastermind.com/] has a lot of star power behind it. Serletic himself is a Grammy Award-winning producer and used to head up Virgin Records. He heads up a group developing SoundBetter which includes 30 people with backgrounds from sound engineering and music theory to technology and game development. In fact, the team has over 33 game credits on titles like Guitar Hero and Tony Hawk.

The prospect of simplifying audio recording and editing into something that anybody can do is exciting. Of course, not everyone will be talented enough to produce the next hit, but if YouTube is any indication, sometimes providing the platform is all that's needed. Sure, most of the stuff on YouTube is crap, but sheer number assures that an honest gem might make its way to the surface.

I look forward to hearing more from SoundBetter and Music Mastermind. The team seems to have the know-how to implement something like this, and we've been promised more information in the next few weeks. It could the next big user-created content platform, or it could totally bust. But at least I'm paying attention.

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
No it NOT, no its NOT, no its NOOOOOOOOOOT!!!

I play the guitar, piano and violin and CREATING GOOD MUSIC IS REALLY FUCKING HARD!!! It can take months, years even, to create a masterpiece. ITS NOT! NOT! NOT!!!

/rant.

On a more positive note, sounds ok, might check it out, who knows.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
Sounds like fun, but I don't think it'll be as big as you're predicting. I mean, Little Big Planet and Minecraft have some fun User-Created content but it's nothing world-shaking. I think the case will be the same for this game. Sure, some people might get famous within the fandom of the game but I doubt it'll go beyond that. This is going to have to be one hell of a program if it plans to turn people into producers, especially when most people couldn't even tell you what a 'scale' or 'time signature' is.

I'll definitely use it, though. The main thing standing between me and music production is real technical knowledge. I know music, I just don't know how to play any instruments very well or how to use production equipment.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
KaosuHamoni said:

I play the guitar, piano and violin and CREATING GOOD MUSIC IS REALLY FUCKING HARD!!! It can take months, years even, to create a masterpiece. ITS NOT! NOT! NOT!!!

/rant.

People made music with only a few simultanious notes to work with in 8-bit.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
KaosuHamoni said:

/rant.
THIS GUY IS RIGHT.
What did we learn from Auto-Tune? Nothing, it seems. Absolutely fucking nothing.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
I'm always in favor of real instruments instead of electronic anything. Give me a trumpet and let me go to town!

On the other hand however I like thinking up melodies, mini-compositions in my head but I never put the effort into composing so I lose the tune.

So I'm split between my loyalties to traditional music making and the desire to make my own compositions easy...

Damn.

KaosuHamoni said:
I agree, the statement that is the title is incorrect. I'm still curious about this application though.

Polaris19

Aug 12, 2010
Geo Da Sponge said:
Oh boy, this isn't going to go down well with some musicians...
Yeah, I'm a little bit upset with stuff like this. I understand people have trouble with playing instruments sometimes, but if you put the effort in you can make music on your own without the need to digitally do it. I've been told by many people my hands are to small to play guitar, and yet I do pretty damn good on them if I say so myself.

And until someone proves me wrong (and many have tried) really good music, for the most part, is done with real instruments, not on a digital soundboard.

It can be useful for composing maybe, but I would never use it as a complete musical outlet. But thats just me...

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
Yeah... music isn't hard to make as such. But the tools you use can make your sound quite simple.

For example it's often simple to pick out who made their music with certain audio environments.

One which creates music easily will simplify it to the extent of making a lot of music blander than it should be. Not saying great songs cant be made with tools like this, just saying that it might sound quite simplified and bland.

Polaris19 said:
And until someone proves me wrong (and many have tried) really good music, for the most part, is done with real instruments, not on a digital soundboard.
Um. Thats a very open statement, what do you specifically mean?

Arcticflame

Nov 7, 2006
heavymedicombo said:
have you ever tried to compose or even arrange a piece for a 15 part orchestra? I have. don't underestimate how fucking hard it is to make something sound good.
Yes I have. But thats besides the point, I think you misunderstood my slightly rushed post.
I was trying to say that its all well and good to make it simple to create music. Whereas it ended up sounding like I was saying it is easy to make music.

Ekonk

Apr 21, 2009
Geo Da Sponge said:
Oh boy, this isn't going to go down well with some musicians...
KaosuHamoni said:

/rant.

Case and point, I'd say.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
As poster above said, inspiration. You have that, it won't matter what buttons you mash. Computer is no worse than an instrument. And it undeniably is an instrument of sort. Just have to use it right. If you practice enough, who says you can't learn to make it sound as good as the people who did that on real instruments? Takes same time. Except the computer sounds really great as bad as you are with it at first; some may get overconfident how computer did all work for them, missing out the rest of parameters.