Sony Russia Claims BioWare Reveal Is Mass Effect 3

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008

A single tweet, containing more information than it should, may have spoiled the big surprise that BioWare had planned for the Spike Videogame Awards.

What do the lowest temperature ever recorded on earth, the atomic mass of iron, and the British Secret Intelligence Service have in common? That's the question that BioWare posed [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105477-BioWare-Drops-Another-Hint] to its fans this week, along with the added puzzler of how it tied in with a few seconds of video [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105366-Get-a-Glimpse-at-BioWares-New-Project] that showed a man taking aim with a futuristic looking rifle.

Unfortunately, it seems that Sony's Russian arm has shed some pretty bright light on at least part of the mystery, by revealing that Mass Effect 3 is the game that ties all the clues together. A tweet [http://twitter.com/#!/PlayStationRU/status/5614546668490753] from the PlayStation Russia Twitter account said that BioWare had shown the very first footage of Mass Effect 3 ahead of its big announcement at the Spike VGAs next month, which could only be a reference to the footage of the rifle-toting mystery man - as seen above. It doesn't explain how all the other clues fit together, but they could just be oblique references to the Mass Effect universe, with no connection to each other.

This is assuming, of course, that PlayStation Russia has its facts right. BioWare isn't restricting itself just to Microsoft platforms anymore, so it's possible that someone at Sony was aware of what the reveal was and inadvertently let it slip, but it's also possible that whoever is responsible for the PlayStation Russia Twitter feed made an assumption, and actually has no more information than anyone else.

The real question is whether or not BioWare would try and be mysterious about a game that people already know about and are looking forward to. The clues are certainly getting people talking, but you could make the case that BioWare could generate similar levels of excitement by just announcing it was going to give fans their first look at Mass Effect 3 at the award ceremony.

Source: VG247 [http://www.vg247.com/2010/11/20/sony-russia-biowares-vga-reveal-to-be-mass-effect-3/]

deth2munkies

Jan 28, 2009
Well that means the clues sucked or they're:

A) Mistaken

or

B) They're talking about 2 different things.

gl1koz3

May 24, 2010
If it's true, then I got to love Russians and the whole "they have this secret about [this secret] to be revealed soon" logic.

I mean it in a good and bad way.

NeedAUserName

Aug 7, 2008
In Soniet Russia reveal is you!

[sup] See what I did there, see?! I'm a comic genius, bow before my might![/sup]

In all seriousness though, I doubt someone will ever see there family again someone will ever see the inside of Sony Russia again. But its bound to happen, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Azhrarn-101

Jul 15, 2008
I somehow doubt the clip linked above is for ME3, the style is completely different.
Even if ME3 is going darker than 2 (which was already a good bit more grim than ME), it seems highly unlikely to do such a massive change in design for a sequel to a pair of games where players liked that art style (I most certainly did).

It could very well be another Bioware Action-RPG similar to Mass Effect, but I doubt it is going to be ME3, at least, not with where that clip is concerned. They might well also reveal ME3, but that's not part of it I believe.

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
That would be a completely stupid "reveal" considering everybody already knew that game was in the making...

vrbtny

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2009
hehehehe.

I win. Told you. Etc.

Mass effect was always going to be trilogy, before any cash-ins started being made.

Loonerinoes

Apr 9, 2009
As for the question posed by Bioware, I believe those three things have the number 6 in common. Not that I've run down all three of the things down as perfectly, but MI6 at least is certain and I'd say 26 being the number on Iron's periodic table of elements position ties into it, plus the coldest temperature recorded was something like 86 degrees celsius below zero so... *shrug*

So no, I'm pretty sure it's not ME3...unless they somehow plan to work the number 6 into it, like "42" was the answer to everything from Hitchiker's in which case...I will be dissapoint. ;)

Shockolate

Feb 27, 2010
Is it just me, or did that dude look like a halo marine with a battle rifle?

Bioware Halo game? Very unlikely, but that's what I saw.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
NeedAUserName said:
In Soniet Russia reveal is you!

[sup] See what I did there, see?! I'm a comic genius, bow before my might![/sup]

In all seriousness though, I doubt someone will ever see there family again someone will ever see the inside of Sony Russia again. But its bound to happen, I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often.
I refuse to bow to you, as you spelled "Soviet" wrong.

OT: If it's Mass Effect 3, then I really need to play Mass Effect 2 when it' released on the PS3.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
If you pause the video as he gets up inside what appears to be a train car? you can see that he is in London because of the architecture of the environment. Someone on another site claimed it could be a revamp of Shattered Steel, which would make sense of iron, freezing temperatures, and M16.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
Loonerinoes said:
As for the question posed by Bioware, I believe those three things have the number 6 in common. Not that I've run down all three of the things down as perfectly, but MI6 at least is certain and I'd say 26 being the number on Iron's periodic table of elements position ties into it, plus the coldest temperature recorded was something like 86 degrees celsius below zero so... *shrug*

So no, I'm pretty sure it's not ME3...unless they somehow plan to work the number 6 into it, like "42" was the answer to everything from Hitchiker's in which case...I will be dissapoint. ;)
Only problem with your theory on the sixes is it asked for the atomic mass of iron, not the atomic number which is 55.8

Jul 22, 2009
If it is then I just imagine Bioware would be annoyed someone else outed their big surpise.

However I'm hoping for some kind of spin off game / large DLC pack.

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
no Shepard≠ME3

although it may be just the third game within the mass effect universe

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
... and I can just as easily claim that Bioware's reveal is a sequel to Battletoads. After all, I probably have as much proof to back that claim up as whomever leaked this from Sony Russia.

One thing I can say for certain? There would be absolutely no point dropping subtle hints in the form of barcodes that translate into messages in binary to help announce a game that everyone knows is coming (at some point). You don't break out that kind of trickery to attract attention for something that a massive fanbase is already waiting for and expecting. You use those kind of tricks to shine the spotlight on something new.

sunburst

Media Snob
Mar 19, 2010
I'm guessing it's gonna be a sci-fi shooter based around an alternate Cold War. It's not the most exciting option but the clues seem to add up. The atomic mass of iron would be a reference to the "Iron Curtain." -128.5 °F is quite cold and was recorded at the Vostok Station which shares the name of the Soviet space program that first put man into orbit. The MI6 clue needs no explanation to fit here so I'll leave it at that.

I think there's probably more to the 55.845 clue that I'm missing though.

hudsonzero

what I thought I'd do was,
Aug 4, 2009
the most stable isotope of iron has a relative atomic mass of 55.85
lowest tempruture recorded 1/billionth over -274 decrease Celsius
and British intelligence is MI 6
enjoy your maths.