Today Only, Age of Empires III Going for Colonial Price

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Today Only, Age of Empires III Going for Colonial Price

Think you can spare a dime for a lengthy real-time strategy game?

The age of digital distribution has brought one major advantage for consumers: Games can be sold for a fraction of their regular prices. In the case of newly relaunched [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002L6HJCI/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_1?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000AB603U&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=08ENJSD5V9QWHGZMGSZZ] Games for Windows marketplace, Microsoft is going one step further and selling the game for a fraction, of a fraction, of the price.

In the final day of its daily deal program to celebrate the relaunch, the Games for Windows marketplace is offering Age of Empires III: Complete Edition for just 10 cents. This includes the original game and both its Warchiefs and Asian Dynasties expansion packs for 0.25% of the regular price of $39.99, but only until the end of the day. Age of Empires III is a real-time strategy game where players must raise their colonial era settlement into an empire by gathering resources, building structures, and battling against rival factions.

You don't have to be a member of Mensa to see that this is a good deal. I think I even already own Age of Empires III, but I bought it again, which is admittedly what Microsoft probably wanted to draw consumers into the new Games for Windows store. You can use Microsoft Points to pay for the game if you don't want to use a credit card, but it'll cost 10 Points for an increased cost of 12.5 cents. Buyer beware: I don't want to see anyone in the poorhouse over this.

All week, Games for Windows has been offering daily deals that included core games downloads [http://www.amazon.com/BioShock-pc/dp/B000MK694E/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1290361625&sr=1-5] initiative and now Microsoft also re-entering the digital sales floor, it's starting to look like it'll be hard to keep track of all the great digital deals out there.

You can become a dime poorer by picking up Age of Empires III until the end of the day here [http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/dailydeal/day7/].

Thanks for the tip Kerkanka [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/profiles/view/Rand-m]!

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
I never ever thought i would buy anything from the GFWL marketplace, looks like i was wrong.

Pielikey

Jul 31, 2009
You still have to pay the $39.89, but instead of in normal currency you're paying for the torture of using GFWL.

That's pretty reasonable, though, I might have to actually give it a shot.

Katherine Kerensky

Why, or Why Not?
Mar 27, 2009
Hehe, I saw the thread for that and bought it, and directed Rand-m to the tip submission page :3
Still, best price I've ever payed for a game.
I owe Rand-m for bringing that to my attention...

FaceFaceFace

Nov 18, 2009
So, we can get every single download service, and then just grab games from whichever one has the most ludicrously low price? It's like when people used to go shopping for bargains, except now we just have to click on a couple different programs! Unless they get smart (dumb?) and make all of their download programs mutually exclusive on the same computer or something.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
well Ive had 140 points on my account forever, guess this is as good a use for 10 as any, not sure when I will get around to ever playing it tho since I hate windows live alot

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
I can't really say no to a 10 MP game. I might never play it, but it's nice to have just in case :p

Jul 22, 2009
Worgen said:
well Ive had 140 points on my account forever, guess this is as good a use for 10 as any, not sure when I will get around to ever playing it tho since I hate windows live alot
I assume you mean Games for Windows Live?

I'm not sure, so anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. But as this is only a Games for Windows title, and not Live enabled, you only need the client to download it. Then it will run DRM free.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
GamesB2 said:
Worgen said:
I assume you mean Games for Windows Live?

I'm not sure, so anyone can correct me if I'm wrong. But as this is only a Games for Windows title, and not Live enabled, you only need the client to download it. Then it will run DRM free.
I wouldnt be surprised, most of the games with gfwl on the box dont actually use the thing but I would also be surprised if ms just let the title out the door without doing something like steam did and have it linked

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
Thank you for the information I have purchased it with only a quick meta score check and a dime.

Jul 22, 2009
Worgen said:
I wouldnt be surprised, most of the games with gfwl on the box dont actually use the thing but I would also be surprised if ms just let the title out the door without doing something like steam did and have it linked
I hope not as I'm downloading it right now and I hater the way Steam forces itself on half my games...

And generally Games for Windows and Games for Windows Live are two separate entities.

so unless the box says Live then it won't use the client.

LoganN

Jun 24, 2010
LTK_70 said:
Regional restrictions FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Use the client if the website doesn't work.

GamesB2 said:
Worgen said:
I hope not as I'm downloading it right now and I hater the way Steam forces itself on half my games...

And generally Games for Windows and Games for Windows Live are two separate entities.

so unless the box says Live then it won't use the client.
It 100% does not require anything else open to run.

I bought it twice, once for me and once for my wife.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
LoganN said:
LTK_70 said:
Regional restrictions FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUU-
Use the client if the website doesn't work.
Curses, I can't actually update the client, some stupid bitching about language. Hell, the update isn't available in any other language! Great, thanks Microsoft and your faulty software.

XT inc

Jul 29, 2009
there are very few games I would not pay a dime for and 80% of those are nintendo products.