ESPN Attacks Kobe Bryant Over Black Ops Commercial

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
ESPN Attacks Kobe Bryant Over Black Ops Commercial

ESPN commentators are upset by Kobe Bryant's appearance in a Call of Duty: Black Ops commercial where the NBA star wields a grenade launcher.

In an article for ESPN, Tim Keown calls the ad (featuring Jimmy Kimmel and a horde of average people alongside Kobe wildly shooting at each other in a war zone), "one of the most irresponsible messages in the history of advertising."

In the ESPN show 1st and 10, co-host Bomani Jones said, "If we're really talking about what's problematic and destructive, they put out six million copies of this videogame, as I understand it, thus far, and all we're doing is shooting and killing people."

Whether or not the ad is offensive or irresponsible, as some ESPN commentators claim, it has been very well received by the public. In an ad analysis released by the firm Ace Metrix, the Black Ops ad was rated 70 points higher than other videogame ads on a 950 point scale. The only people that rated the ad lower than average were women above 35, who are certainly not the target demographic.

Mark Medina, of the Los Angeles Times, said of the commercial, " ... I think the commercial featuring a happy-go lucky vibe with ordinary citizens pretending to be in combat downplays the seriousness that real combat entails."

Personally, I found it obvious when watching the commercial, found here [http://kb24.com/2010/11/05/kobe-in-black-opts-video/], that the ordinary citizens were not represented as "in combat" at all. The fact that many had their in-game aliases painted on their weapons and that a concierge answered the phone in the middle of a gunfight showed they were merely taking the place of their in-game avatars, showing that in the game you will be playing against other people of all stripes, including celebrities like Bryant and Jimmy Kimmel.

The game, after 5 days on sale, has made an estimated $650 million, so "irresponsible" or not, the commercial seems to be doing its job.

Sources: ESPN, N4G [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/31634/Survey_Finds_Stark_Gender_Difference_In_Reaction_To_Black_Ops_Ad.php].

Apr 28, 2008
Children "playing war" with their fingers and toy guns are also painting it in a happy-go-lucky vibe.

Does that downplay the seriousness that real combat entails?

Alright so maybe a little, but still, you don't go attacking kids about it. These guys are just having fun. I'm sure we've all imagined ourselves in that situation before, where we're all killing each other in a fun and happy manner.

Or at least I have.

What?

the lapalminator

Jul 27, 2010
sigh...

when are non gamers gonna realize that this game isnt all about war.

its more about feeding that competetive monster we have inside of us.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
There's no message, morons.

And before someone gets clever, the ad is so tongue-in-cheek that there's not even an unintentional message.

Quad08

Oct 18, 2009
Those commentators are just upset they weren't involved in the commerical

Schizzy

Oct 9, 2008
What a bunch of luddites, these commentators. They are obviously NOT the target market :)

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
Not that I'm for or against Black Ops itself but:

THe commercial only ever shows shots connecting with non-living objects like breaching that metal door I never saw any actor pretending to get shot themselves and better yet no one clearly under the age of 17 playing in the field either.

Edit: I'd long to see a parody of an actual recorded match of real Black Ops players with thier real life counterparts on screen (live-action or animated is fine) with the dialogue as well with the varied ages, genders, fashions etc. of each player.

Moriarty70

Canucklehead
Dec 24, 2008
It's ESPN, maybe they're just upset that games like Madden don't get the same kind of promotion, or that EA and Co. won't spend the same kind of cash to get Kobe in a NBA game ad.

Tehlanna TPX

Mar 23, 2010
I find this commercial to be badass. And I'm honestly not a fan of the genre, but it still does its job of making me want to go play the game. It's great to show 'real' people as gamers. I especially love the slightly chunky mid 20's girl in the beginning. Really great job by the ad people, and shame on those ESPN people, and others, that are giving Kobe and the other celebs grief over appearing in an ad for a game that isn't even marketed towards children.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Sounds like a fun commercial then.

The attack is silly. Simples.

Buchichu

Apr 2, 2010
I loved this commercial, I thought it was hilarious. These people need to get over it - children have been playing with guns since before any of us were born. Remember "coboys and indians"?

I bet it's the same parents complaining about these GAMES that have loaded weapons in their homes just waiting for one of their children to find and blow their heads off with.

J0k3

Aug 29, 2009
People are worried about this? Wow, talk about lack of perspective...

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Pretty lolworthy ad, all I can say about this Kobe guy (am I meant to know him?) is that he is a NOOB! Fucking noobtubes XD

mattttherman3

Dec 16, 2008
lol espn. Lets talk about that that hour show you gave to lebron james, that was a waste of advertising.