Sony Ericsson Exec Drops Hints of PSP Phone

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Sony Ericsson Exec Drops Hints of PSP Phone

The CEO Sony Ericsson said that there was a lot of "smoke" concerning the rumored PlayStation Phone and that means there "must be a fire."

Photos of a rumored Sony phone that could play games first surfaced back in October. At first, leaked the codename, Zeus [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104751-PlayStation-Phone-Photographs-Surface-UPDATED'>Sony refused to comment that such a product existed, but then that statement was somewhat retracted when anonymous sources inside the production of the device <a href=]. The photos showed a phone that was clearly imprinted with Sony Ericsson label, a company jointly held by Sony and Swedish cell phone maker, L.M. Ericsson Telephone Co. Today, Bert Nordberg, CEO of Sony Ericsson, told the Wall Street Journal that all of the rumors surrounding a gaming phone from Sony must mean something.

"There's a lot of smoke, and I tell you there must be a fire somewhere," Nordberg said. "Sony has an extremely strong offering in the gaming market, and that's very interesting."

Such a device has already been called the PlayStation Phone by many in the press, but the WSJ reports that a source told them that it would most likely bear Ericsson's Xperia brand. I don't know about you, but I'd think that gamers would be more inclined to buy something with a brand more closely associated with gaming. "Hey guys, check out my Xperia phone." "What's that?" "It plays games." "Oh."

It seems that Nordberg at least understands that. "Sony is of course a very strong brand, and why shouldn't we use that?" he said. "Gaming, including content, is a very interesting proposition."

For him, a gaming-oriented phone only makes sense. He thinks that the current touchscreen phones aren't sufficient gaming platforms, a sentiment with which I'm inclined to agree.

But then again, it's important for the phone portion to actually work. Nordberg didn't mention it, but I'm sure the Nokia N-Gage is whispered as a word of caution in Sony's boardrooms. Nobody wants another taco.

Source: Wall Street Journal [http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704170404575624592495029652.html#articleTabs%3Darticle]

Fasckira

Dice Tart
Oct 22, 2009
I like it. I think if it has the functionality of the PSP then it will be pretty neat but it all depends on the price tag... ;)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Yeah...I concur with the N-Gage comment.
I really don't understand Sony these days...are they just scraping for ideas to try to out-storm the 3DS now?

Sony. Most real gamers don't give two shits about these gimmicks; just start by making the hardware good (and practical) and go from there.
Because trying to directly compete against Apple is only going to land you in hot water.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
If there is a PS Phone i mite decide on finally getting a smart phone.

OT: Thanks Sony Ericsson for again sponsoring the GSL :D

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
If this turns out to be real (and with a few design/cosmetic tweeks) I might actually be tempted to finally change by 6 year old LG Viewty.