Minecraft's Hardcore Mode Will Delete Your Entire World

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Minecraft's Hardcore Mode Will Delete Your Entire World

The developer behind Minecraft says he'll be implementing a new mode that will cause entire worlds to vanish.

One of the best parts of Minecraft is that it gives players the ability to build their own unique worlds. Some choose to make their worlds into the floating cities [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103834-Minecraft-Player-Needs-Help-Building-Scale-Star-Trek-Enterprise]. In a new mode Minecraft developer Marcus Persson hopes to implement, all of that hard work could go down the drain when you die.

Yes, according to a short message by Persson today on his blog, a "hardcore" mode is coming to Minecraft. If you die when it's switched on, so does your world, along with every amazing to perverted creation you plopped down.

"I'm definitely going to add hardcore mode to the game where dying will destroy the world," Persson writes. "I'm not sure how it would work in multiplayer, though.. Perhaps you could get 'banned' from the server until the world resets if you die on a server running hardcore mode."

The mode was inspired by an experiment [http://www.pcgamer.com/tag/the-minecraft-experiment/] over at PC Gamer where a player has promised to delete his Minecraft world if he dies. This is a perfect example of why everyone should want indie games like Minecraft to succeed. If an independent developer has a clever idea or notices something cool, it can go right into a game without budget discussions or a frustrating approval process.

It's tough to lose a built-up character in the hardcore modes of other titles like Diablo [http://www.amazon.com/Diablo-III-Pc/dp/B00178630A], but it'd be straight up heartbreaking to die in Minecraft and lose your entire world. Persson only briefly mentioned the future hardcore mode, so it may not be released for quite a while, but keep an eye out for it on the blocky horizon.

maddog015

Sep 12, 2008
As well it should. Hardcore mode is meant for the hardcore. You die, you lose everything.

Ankhwatcher

Mar 21, 2008
I don't think they are actually working on Hardcore Mode yet, Notch just likes the idea.

There were some nice ideas in the comments under that post on the Minecraft blog.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
Heh, I was wondering if this would ever happen. I already play this way as a player challenge. When I die, I delete my save. Sometimes, that's a very hard thing to do when I've put days into a game, fought off every kind of mob there is, ventured into Hell(or nether >.>) and build multiple safe places all over the world.

But then as Maddog said, it's called 'Hardcore' for a reason.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
silver wolf009 said:
I play on peacefull already, why would this make me want to play it with combat now?
If you play it on peaceful, how does it affect you in any way? They're just talking about another difficulty level. Peaceful - Easy - Normal - Hard - Hardcore.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Not in a million years. Can you imagine if you lost connection or someone came to the door and up pops a creeper?

HELLO CREEPER!
WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
Making... pizza...

Ten thousand cookies for the reference :D

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
:eek:

:eek:oooo

:eek:ooooooooooooooo

Why hadn't I thought of this with Minecraft? I do it with every game I play that allows it, why not that?

I even did it in FFT where, if one of my party members feinted, they were considered dead. If I won before they died, I disbanded them.

:eek:

Minecraft.

Must. Do. This.

Eatbrainz

Mar 2, 2009
Hmm, losing all your hard work when you die...Yup, sounds like a big load o' shit to me!

qbanknight

Apr 15, 2009
Minecraft is hard enough as it is, why the hell are our most vocal supporters of games absolute masochists? These guys like shit like Demon's Souls and other overly-complicated, taxing games

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
Can someone explain why this is considered either a new or interesting idea?

It's basically just deleting your save when you die. That's it. Nothing creative about that, nothing fun about it either. You could argue you that it makes playing more interesting since you're constantly worried about losing, but you don't need to delete your god damn world to accomplish that. You'd think losing all your items would be a big enough incentive. Deleting your entire world is just pointless. Furthermore, I can't see why it's interesting either.

jonnosferatu

Mar 29, 2009
I already do this.

THAT SAID, I think the change should be that the world goes into "read-only" mode after you die - basically just turn noclip on and remove the player's ability to do anything other than run around looking at the stuff he's done.

DEAD34345

Aug 18, 2010
As long as it's optional, then i think it's a great idea. One of the reasons rogue-likes and such are fun is that death has real meaning, the entire game becomes much more tense and immersive when you know you could lose your character at any time.

Besides which, if its optional then what are the downsides?

SomethingUnrelated

Aug 29, 2009
This'll be a bit gutting for those people that have made Rapture or whatever.

I still haven't played this game... I should probably go ahead and do that...

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Always backup your save!

Lol, would at least make new and interesting game plays, just like rogue-likes - especially if larger dungeons were made procedurally ^_^