CoD: Black Ops Sales Fall 85% in UK, Still Overwhelming

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
CoD: Black Ops Sales Fall 85% in UK, Still Overwhelming

You know your game is ridiculously popular when you can sell 85% fewer copies than you did a week ago and still be the biggest game in town.

By now, we all know that Call of Duty: Black Ops very big launch [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105292-Black-Ops-Blows-Up-UK-Launch-Records]. It's hard to put the overwhelming dominance of Black Ops in perspective, though - with such a huge launch, what can you really compare it to except other blockbuster releases?

So, here's some perspective: According to the UK All Formats chart, Black Ops suffered a staggering 85% week-on-week drop-off in sales from its week on launch to its second week on sales. For every ten copies it sold launch week in the UK, it sold a measly one-and-a-half copies last week.

It was still the top-selling game on the market, beating #2 Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood by an estimated 63,000 units. This was, by the way, reportedly the strongest launch ever for a title in the reasonably popular Assassin's Creed series. To paraphrase Ms. Gwen Stefani, this crap is bananas. Absolutely bananas.

The Xbox 360 version accounted for 54% of all copies of Black Ops sold, with 40% of copies shipping on the PS3. Either that means that PC versions only made up a meager 6% of retail copies sold, or someone at the All Formats chart needs to read up on their mathematics.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit, FIFA 11 and Just Dance 2 rounded out the top five.

(via CVG [http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=277078])

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
The double rainbow... it's... beautiful...

What? Blacks Ops made money? Well I'm not really surprised.

Prometherion

Jan 7, 2009
That seems logical. A heavily pre ordered game is bound to drop sales pretty quickly. The sales will stay steady for a while yet.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
85% drop in sales?

That's because everyone bought it in the first week and everyone owns it now!
Like me!

Dec 14, 2009
I was diappointed by the lack of the S.A.S in Black Ops. Nothing beats hearing "Tango down!" in an English accent.

The Hive Mind

Nov 11, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
I was diappointed by the lack of the S.A.S in Black Ops. Nothing beats hearing "Tango down!" in a English accent.
I concur, the SAS were easily the coolest thing about CoD4 and one of the best bits about MW2 (even though they technically they were transferred from the SAS at that point.)

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
Sales are down 85% and theres already near a full row of pre-owned copies in my local Game and Gamestation. Not sure what to think of this, but it seems to point to the game is either being bad or just very short.

I'm seriously asking here, was it just the first week hype hype hype or did it just not meet expectations?

Dec 14, 2009
The Hive Mind said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I was diappointed by the lack of the S.A.S in Black Ops. Nothing beats hearing "Tango down!" in a English accent.
I concur, the SAS were easily the coolest thing about CoD4 and one of the best bits about MW2 (even though they technically they were transferred from the SAS at that point.)
I thought it was refreshing to be playing a military shooter as someone from my country and not be the guys that die at the end, with the Americans being ultimately triumphant.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
I was diappointed by the lack of the S.A.S in Black Ops. Nothing beats hearing "Tango down!" in an English accent.
Hearing "Tango Down!" in Reznovs voice far surpasses it.
but i do like the mix of nationalities MW2 had with the task force.

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
The Hive Mind said:
Daystar Clarion said:
I thought it was refreshing to be playing a military shooter as someone from my country and not be the guys that die at the end, with the Americans being ultimately triumphant.
In what games does that happen, exactly?

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
AssCreed is on it's way to being the next really massive thing, me thinks.

Brotherhood is brilliant.

Dec 14, 2009
Mcface said:
Daystar Clarion said:
The Hive Mind said:
Daystar Clarion said:
In what games does that happen, exactly?
CoD 4. The American character was killed off halfway through the game with the SAS being left to save the day.

Swaki

Apr 15, 2009
does those charts include online sales, if not then i can easily believe that only 6% of the pc gamers where stooped enough to buy it in stores.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
well, you get the Cee. Eye. Aye. and the NVA yelling "yada abi ha" when they kill people.

Sep 14, 2009
wooty said:
Sales are down 85% and theres already near a full row of pre-owned copies in my local Game and Gamestation. Not sure what to think of this, but it seems to point to the game is either being bad or just very short.

I'm seriously asking here, was it just the first week hype hype hype or did it just not meet expectations?
generally estimating anyone who wanted it, got it right away, there were some meager maybe's inbetween, and thats what you see on your wall.

i plan to get the game for christmas most likely so im sure game sales will pick up again for black friday and around christmas for it.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Awesome! Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit is at #3! [/CriterionFanboy]

...That's what this article is about, right?

Exort

Oct 11, 2010
wooty said:

which recent COD is not short...

clarissa

Nov 18, 2010
I guess that the Alliance for Global Justice will be happy to hear that.
only if they knew it is actually a fake happiness...

freakonaleash

Wheat field gazer
Jan 3, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:
The Hive Mind said:
Daystar Clarion said:
You know what I liked about black ops? You got to actually kill SAS guys for the first time in CoD history.