Stake Me Now: Warner Bros. Rebooting Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Elizabeth Grunewald

The Pope of Chilitown
Oct 4, 2010
Stake Me Now: Warner Bros. Rebooting Buffy The Vampire Slayer

Everyone's favorite high school vampire slayer is returning to the silver screen, and will apparently no longer be in high school.

Warner Bros. announced today that the 1992 film Buffy The Vampire Slayer is the most recent film to get the reboot, and Joss Whedon will not be involved. Atlas Entertainment and Warner Bros. are behind the remake, which, despite currently boasting very few specific details, manages to strike a healthy dose of fear into my heart.

The movie is intended to be an update, with a script penned by Whit Anderson. While I am excited to see a woman writing for Buffy, I am less excited to see that Anderson appears to have never written a screenplay, let alone attempted to revive a beloved character and franchise. In fact, all of Anderson's few credits appear to be in front of the camera. Also on hand is Charles Roven, producer of Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, and the upcoming The Dark Knight Rises.

Deadline quotes "an insider" as saying "while this is not your high school Buffy, she'll be just as witty, tough, and sexy as we all remember her to be." From this description, and Roven's inclusion, it seems that the creative powers behind this reboot are shooting for something dark, or gritty, or realistic. Enjoy trying to make "I just dusted a vamp" sound anything but preposterous in a gritty, realistic setting.

Source: Deadline [http://www.deadline.com/2010/11/warner-bros-reboots-buffy-the-vampire-slayer-with-script-from-whit-anderson/]

Anacortian

May 19, 2009
The hell?! I'm willing to not have Gellar, but it's not Buffy without Whedon. Screw this.

Exterminas said:
I will take the dark, gritty version over a twilight one. Thanks.
You're right. It could be a lot worse, I suppose. But the lesser of two evils is still evil.

SomeBritishDude

Nov 1, 2007
[img/]http://www.lolwut.com/pics/nooo.jpg[/img]

If Joss Whedon isn't attached this is going to be garanteed shit. I suppose there's a chance this might be better than the original movie but really, that's not saying much. Hell, that's not saying anything. Why Hollywood? Why ruin my childhood, why ruin one of the best TV shows there's ever been?

Arawn.Chernobog

Nov 17, 2009
No Joss Whendon?

Also if they're going out of their way to say "gritty and realistic"... they mean "More dark clothes and trash-talking" according to my Hollywood dictionary.

The Imp

Nov 9, 2009
I was never a fan of the pg-version of Buffy anyways so i'd like to see a dark, gritty, adult oriented Buffy flick.

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Wasn't the original premise behind Buffy to be neither dark nor gritty but instead parody? Not the Leslie Nielson type of over the top parody just the silly kind of, 'wouldn't it be weird if a bubble-headed-bleach-blonde suddenly became a vampire hunter'. I thought darkness and grit were starting to take a bow for now to be replaced by...not camp but something more light-hearted.

tmujir955

Oct 12, 2009
What's up with Warner Bros trying to reboot everything we love?

Its like they've got obsessive compulsive disorder for it.

Diablo2000

Tiger Robocop
Aug 29, 2010
After what Teen Werewolf became i don't even wanna know how this is gonna turn out like...

DAMN YOU ALL GAY VAMPIRES!

warboss5

Mar 17, 2010
This will NEVER please the hardcore Whendon-philes so why even CALL it Buffy??? Just give it a new name and start over.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
I can already tell this will suck. Will not see in theatres, probably will not see more than once on Movie Network. The whole point of Buffy is that she's in high school, and high school sucks. If she's not in high school, it's not Buffy.

Spinwhiz

Oct 8, 2007
A Buffy that is more like the adaptation of the current Batman movies? I'm intrigued...but please don't kill anything else that was actually worth watching.

Off-Topic: I guess most would considered the Buffy the Vampire Slayer show with Sarah Michelle Gellar to be a "good" reboot of the 1992 movie which starred Kristy Swanson, Donald Sutherland and Luke Perry. Looking back, it actually had quite the cast, involving a youthful Hilary Swank, David Arquette and Ben Affleck, not to mention Paul Reubens.

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
there HAS to be an episode where she kills one of those fairy-vampires and makes a sweater out of the sparkly skin =P